U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,826,884 times

Advertisements

I like MD a lot. I used to hate Baltimore for some reason but when I finally visited it I changed my mind. The Eastern Shore is pretty fascinating and the panhandle has some neat towns and beautiful scenery. There's this colonial vibe to the state that is very cool.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 PM

5,712 posts, read 8,778,005 times
If I ever make a list of top 10 incredibly cute US towns Havre de grace will be right up there.

I haven't been to western MD but look forward to a visit.

Baltimore is very cool and I much prefer it to DC.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,780,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Does anyone not from MD acutally like it? For someone who visits I mean. No one ever seems to say anything positive about it. its always negative. Does anyone actually like it?
Annapolis rocks.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:18 AM

17,307 posts, read 19,591,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Annapolis rocks.
Yup, not only is it the state capital. But it's also a walkable marine town that dates back to 1649. And it's within the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area, making it that much more accessible.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,292,545 times
I like Maryland pretty well. Downtown Baltimore has some fun touristy stuff (Inner Harbor, Camden Yards, Aquarium) and there are also neat neighborhoods like Little Italy, Fells Point, Federal Hill, etc.

Annapolis is a great little town for a long weekend. Very scenic and walkable with some good restaurants and bars.

I've also done some boating on the Chesapeake Bay and that has always been fun.

In general I like the fact that the water plays such a large part in the culture of much in Maryland. I also tend to enjoy the general mid-atlantic vibe of the state which is a real transition between the south and the northeast. And of course the crab-cakes! :-)

Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,268,353 times
I've never heard of anyone hating Maryland.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 PM

17,307 posts, read 19,591,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I've never heard of anyone hating Maryland.
It seems to me that some people have viewed pictures of run-down ghettos in Baltimore and now think that the whole state of Maryland looks like that.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,268,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It seems to me that some people have viewed pictures of run-down ghettos in Baltimore and now think that the whole state of Maryland looks like that.
Ah, I see what you mean now. I get judged all the time because of that beautiful 2 mile stretch of the NJ turnpike between Newark Airport and those factories/refineries that you have to drive through on the way to NYC.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,234,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I like Maryland pretty well. Downtown Baltimore has some fun touristy stuff (Inner Harbor, Camden Yards, Aquarium) and there are also neat neighborhoods like Little Italy, Fells Point, Federal Hill, etc.

Annapolis is a great little town for a long weekend. Very scenic and walkable with some good restaurants and bars.

I've also done some boating on the Chesapeake Bay and that has always been fun.

In general I like the fact that the water plays such a large part in the culture of much in Maryland. I also tend to enjoy the general mid-atlantic vibe of the state which is a real transition between the south and the northeast. And of course the crab-cakes! :-)
The vibe I've always picked up there, at least starting at Washington and heading northward, was that that was where the Northeast started. I pretty much felt like driving along I-81 that the south ended as soon I reached Northern Virginia (roughly where I-66 branched off I-81).

Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 AM

9,444 posts, read 18,363,374 times
I like Maryland. I wouldn't live there but certainly enjoy visiting the state well enough. I was really impressed with the beauty of the far western part fo the state around Deep Creek Lake and even driving on I-66 through the Apalachians was really beautiful. The Eastern Shore is nice, Assateague Island is a scenic and tranquil barrier island. I can enjoy visiting Baltimore and DC but only for a few days as the ratrace around there rubs me the wrong way. Baltimore has some very interesting neighborhoods but walking around the city, even on Charles Street in downtown I got a sketchy vibe. Away from I-95 though in the eastern and western ends of the state are some very beautiful places and Ocean city is pretty fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or