U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:38 PM

131 posts, read 205,271 times

Advertisements

I'd live there. I actually prefer Baltimore over DC, at least there's nice AFFORDABLE neighborhoods within Baltimore city limits. The inner harbor is always lookin better over the years. DC's a stretch, you're very limited and shabby areas there are no different than shabby areas in Baltimore.
The suburbs in Montgomery and Howards county reminds me of Bergen and Morris county NJ to a certain extent. Its better than VA imo. The states overall crime rate is not good, but it's avoidable. I also believe the state suffers with some of the highest rates of HIV in the nation. (DC/BMore/PG)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 PM

236 posts, read 1,371,192 times
Maryland is a great state with a diverse terrain and economy. The people for the most part are decent. The only area in the state that I don't care for is the DC metro area with all the yuppies, gangstas and government workers.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:25 AM

443 posts, read 473,607 times
Hagerstown is awesome and the mountains around it.

I know people like Baltimore. It has very cool historic neighborhoods. But I was offered a job there and just didn't want to move there. I felt I had to pay too much to live in a place like Federal Hill, Fells Point, etc. Then the other places I just didn't want to live as I like to feel safe when I leave my front door.

Then I hate DC culture. The tools speeding to work in ties, the belt way, federal government spending the rest of the nations money, the burbs between DC and Baltimore such as Columbia where I was offered a job, the sprawl, etc. Baltimore is too much a part of that.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
The only area in the state that I don't care for is the DC metro area with all the yuppies, gangstas and government workers.
Which just so happens to have the wealthiest suburbs, best schools, best jobs and best public transit in Maryland.

It's true you need to have a high income/net worth to live in the desirable parts of the DC area. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-29-2011 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM

443 posts, read 473,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Which just so happens to have the wealthiest suburbs, best schools, best jobs and best public transit in Maryland.

It's true you need to have a high income/net worth to live in the desirable parts of the DC area. You get what you pay for.
This is the typical DC metro area smug stereotype that most people who arn't tools hate about the area. I just have that image from South Park's San Francisco smug episode of people farting and smelling their own gas in my head.

"Like, you totally have to be a high member of society with high net worth to live here." Somebody says with their eyes closed, while letting lose a fart and breathing it in as if it smells like strawberries.

To bad you can take what you make in DC, move somewhere else, and have a much more quality of life on that income. DC and the Baltimore area only have good economies because they leach off the rest of America. Even the private sector in that metro region makes it's money doing work for the federal government which is just our tax money redistributed within that metro region.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:26 PM

375 posts, read 346,354 times
There's no way you can put Baltimore on the same level as Washington when it comes to leaching off the rest of the country.

Baltimore has a thriving port and the best hospital on the world...those two alone define our city more than the federal government.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 PM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
To bad you can take what you make in DC, move somewhere else, and have a much more quality of life on that income.
That depends on what one considers quality of life. I prefer to live in a dynamic, cosmopolitan metro area with lots of things to see and do. Living in the middle of nowhere or in anytown USA isn't quality of life to me. But someone else's mileage may vary.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM

67 posts, read 195,371 times
I love MD . I love the beaches along the Eastern Shore, the mountains of western MD, and the history, people, and food of Baltimore. Ocean City is fun, Frostburg is very nice, and Antietam is gorgeous.

The DC suburbs reminded me a lot of Atlanta's suburbs for some reason. They are laid out similarly, it seems to be "a city in the forest" like Atlanta, the demographics seem pretty similar, and the traffic is terrible. It's nice to feel like I am in familiar territory but in a completely different area. I loved the liberal feeling of the state. It feels like there is a "live and let live" attitude that we don't have outside of 285 in Atlanta.

Downsides: There is definitely an air of anger with some people near DC. I still remember being cut off by a driver who literally almost took my bumper off and then flipped me off on I-270 because I was only going 10 over. I wasn't even in the fast lane. I remember greeting salespeople in various stores and not getting response back and no eye contact to speak of. There definitely seems to be an intense rat race and a lot of keeping up with Jones' from all the expensive cars I saw around.

The cost of everything seems to be very high too. Gas was high, rent and home prices we saw were high, grocery prices were high, tolls were high, hotels were high, everything was just high. I hear that salaries are high in MD, so maybe that's how people can afford to live there.

Baltimore had some scary areas, but my family and I were well prepared to avoid a large part of the ghetto while we were there.

Other than that, Maryland is a wonderful state. For being so small it really does have a lot to offer. Outside of Baltimore and DC there is definitely a slower pace that almost has a southern feel to it in some places.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,808,383 times
Overall there are alot of people that like Maryland but there are a group of old timers from the deep south that Hates the state of Maryland and will go as far as denying the Fact of Maryland being a Southern State.......

Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 AM

643 posts, read 1,293,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Maryland is the New Jersey of the South.
Wow! Spot on! My DH is from Maryland and we lived there for a few months right after we were married. We found jobs in Northern Virginia so moved there and lived in Fairfax county for 12 years. Maryland has a lot of simliarities to Jersey, but that isn't all bad. Like Maryland, New Jersey is a mixed bag. Plenty of bad with some very special good charactertistics. I happen to agree about the rude people comments (something they share). Montgomery County in particular is a mess in terms of traffic, overall congestion and people too self-important to care about anyone else. But if you can get out to Annapolis (or better yet sail on the Chesapeake) it can be a beautiful thing, just as Cape May in New Jersey is good living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or