U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,864,723 times

Advertisements

I live in WV, and like Maryland. Most of MD is like WV, and the towns and cultures are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 AM

375 posts, read 346,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I live in WV, and like Maryland. Most of MD is like WV, and the towns and cultures are similar.
I agree if you're talking about western Maryland specifically. Cumberland has this old coal town feel to it.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM

411 posts, read 771,014 times
In my opinion both Baltimore and DC are way too dangerous to live in unless you are rich and can afford the nice areas. Even then there is false security associated with living in a "bubble" in the middle of a war zone. Both of these cities are war zones. These were not dangerous cities 50 or 60 years ago but they are now. They used to be places one could raise a family but that is a terrible idea now. The public school system in both cities is god awful. People used to raise their children in these cities but that would be so cruel to do to your child now, considering how dangerous these places are and how bad the schools are. Living on your own or with your sig other in the city is OK but if your partner is a pretty girl you better make sure it's an affluent, guarded area of the city or she will most likely be assaulted. Why take the chance? I wouldn't let my daughter live in either of those cities unless it was a protected campus or a very affluent neighborhood that she didn't venture from much. Still, even then I would be worried. Lots and lots of uneducated, desperate, dangerous animals all over those 2 cities. Philadelphia as well. I wouldn't live in inner city philly for anything - yeah it's historic but it's also a cesspool and has been for some time now.

"Gorgeous" Prince Georges (county) is also quite dangerous. It's ok to sight-see but, like DC and Baltimore, make sure you know what neighborhood you are in before you start getting out of the car to walk around. Any town in PG that butts up against DC or is inside the beltway is best to just steer clear of. Outside the beltway in PG is very pretty but also a little sketchy as far as the "locals" go. If you're not from here, you will find that gangsta's living in nice split foyers and charming ramblers on sleepy suburban streets to be a very odd situation. Beautiful rolling hills and picture-perfect housing stock in the forest looks tranquil but can be decieving. Always be aware of your surroundings when in PG county.

All of that being said about our "great" cities, there are plenty of wonderful parts of Md. to live in. Montgomery County is mostly very nice with wonderful schools. There are a couple of sketchy parts near the city but for the most part MoCo is beautiful and safe, albeit very expensive. Anne Arundel County is very nice in some parts but those parts are also very pricey. Other sections (north part of the county) of AA are pretty average and cheaper in price. Again, a couple of sketchy areas near the southern border of Baltimore in AA county but nothing like PG - yet. Howard county is a wonderful place to live but it's a commute. North of Baltimore, around Bel-Air is great too. Hagerstown and Western Md. is breathtaking rural Appalachia. The eastern shore is majestic beauty and complete tranquility as long as you don't find yourself in Salisbury or parts of Easton as they are surprisingly crime ridden towns.

Maryland truly has something for everyone who has money.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
I am a native of Virginia and lived on the NoVA side of the DC area a couple of years ago and am considering moving to Maryland. I hated living in NoVA and think I would tolerate the MD side of the DC metro (Bowie, Laurel, College Park) better because it is a little slower paced (when compared to NoVA). I'd also consider Baltimore if a job was there.

Maryland isn't bad. It has a pretty solid educational system and solid economic opportunities in its sphere. It is probably the only NE-like state I could tolerate

Old 12-24-2011, 01:44 PM

369 posts, read 546,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm from Maryland and I hate it. Baltimore is a disgusting pit for the most part and the DC area is congested and unbelievably economically segregated. I'm trying to get out of the state but I don't have $ to move. DC just sucks in general, you have either type A arrogant obnoxious people, annoying hipsters or hoodrats with no real inbetween of normal people. O'Malley and the legislature are running the state into the ground as well. It is somewhat fortunate for Marylanders that however incompetently theyre governed they can have jobs in Virginia.
Maryland and the whole D.C. area just isn't worth the cost.

The state and local governments are clueless and have ruined the state, its just not competitive anymore.

Maryland has one of the highest personal income taxes in the country at almost 10% depending on county!

One of the highest Corporate Income Taxes at 8.25%!

They lost out on at least 5 large headquarter moves that went to Virginia instead.

They keep raising taxes and chasing away the companies and the wealthy while at the same time inviting illegal hispanic aliens with day labor centers with tax payer money. its quickly turning into a third world country. So many big companies have left in the past five years.

Soon Balimtore wont have any fortune 500 companies when constellation is bought. The police are a-hole idiots chasing away legal residents while supporting illegals.

And there is nothing fortunate about the bold, Maryland has been getting its economic ass kicked by Va for years now.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:16 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,770,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
In my opinion both Baltimore and DC are way too dangerous to live in unless you are rich and can afford the nice areas. Even then there is false security associated with living in a "bubble" in the middle of a war zone. Both of these cities are war zones. These were not dangerous cities 50 or 60 years ago but they are now. They used to be places one could raise a family but that is a terrible idea now. The public school system in both cities is god awful. People used to raise their children in these cities but that would be so cruel to do to your child now, considering how dangerous these places are and how bad the schools are. Living on your own or with your sig other in the city is OK but if your partner is a pretty girl you better make sure it's an affluent, guarded area of the city or she will most likely be assaulted. Why take the chance? I wouldn't let my daughter live in either of those cities unless it was a protected campus or a very affluent neighborhood that she didn't venture from much. Still, even then I would be worried. Lots and lots of uneducated, desperate, dangerous animals all over those 2 cities. Philadelphia as well. I wouldn't live in inner city philly for anything - yeah it's historic but it's also a cesspool and has been for some time now.

"Gorgeous" Prince Georges (county) is also quite dangerous. It's ok to sight-see but, like DC and Baltimore, make sure you know what neighborhood you are in before you start getting out of the car to walk around. Any town in PG that butts up against DC or is inside the beltway is best to just steer clear of. Outside the beltway in PG is very pretty but also a little sketchy as far as the "locals" go. If you're not from here, you will find that gangsta's living in nice split foyers and charming ramblers on sleepy suburban streets to be a very odd situation. Beautiful rolling hills and picture-perfect housing stock in the forest looks tranquil but can be decieving. Always be aware of your surroundings when in PG county.

All of that being said about our "great" cities, there are plenty of wonderful parts of Md. to live in. Montgomery County is mostly very nice with wonderful schools. There are a couple of sketchy parts near the city but for the most part MoCo is beautiful and safe, albeit very expensive. Anne Arundel County is very nice in some parts but those parts are also very pricey. Other sections (north part of the county) of AA are pretty average and cheaper in price. Again, a couple of sketchy areas near the southern border of Baltimore in AA county but nothing like PG - yet. Howard county is a wonderful place to live but it's a commute. North of Baltimore, around Bel-Air is great too. Hagerstown and Western Md. is breathtaking rural Appalachia. The eastern shore is majestic beauty and complete tranquility as long as you don't find yourself in Salisbury or parts of Easton as they are surprisingly crime ridden towns.

Maryland truly has something for everyone who has money.
You're clueless. DC is not even close to a war zone. Maybe 10-20 years ago but I never even see it ranked on dangerous city lists anymore. I know more about the crime in the city than most of you considering it's my job. I work for the fire department so my job is to respond to all of these crimes when someone is hurt. Saying that if you're girlfriend is pretty she will be assaulted is ridiculous. The dangerous neighborhoods in DC are getting smaller and they are definitely pretty easy to stay away from.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:31 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,570,902 times
Maryland has it all. Mountains. Cities. Ocean. Bay. Suburbs. Country. I've always liked it. It's not the greatest state, but certainly in the top ten.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:11 AM

565 posts, read 822,232 times
Weird, I didn't realize there was this much dislike of Maryland. In fact, I generally heard positive things about the state and it sounded like people where wanting to move there. Mind you, that's in person hearsay, largely from young people who have money seeking jobs out that direction. I've considered the state, its in my top 5 but its number 5.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM

411 posts, read 771,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
You're clueless. DC is not even close to a war zone. Maybe 10-20 years ago but I never even see it ranked on dangerous city lists anymore. I know more about the crime in the city than most of you considering it's my job. I work for the fire department so my job is to respond to all of these crimes when someone is hurt. Saying that if you're girlfriend is pretty she will be assaulted is ridiculous. The dangerous neighborhoods in DC are getting smaller and they are definitely pretty easy to stay away from.
Sorry pal but you seem to be the clueless one. Just go ahead and walk the streets of Anacostia, Deanwood, Kenilworth, Petworth, Ivy City, Congress Heights etc. and get back to me on that. Go ahead and hang out in PG county towns like Suitland, Forest Heights, Oxon Hill, Marlow Heights, Landover, Temple Hills, Cheverly, Seat Pleasant, Forestville etc and tell me the same crap.

I know they cleaned up China town years ago and some areas near capitol hill, but to act like DC isn't still dangerous is just plain foolish and can get you in trouble. Also, not too far from Capitol hill is the infamous Potomac Gardens public housing trash hole. Go walk through there and tell me whats up.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,194,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Sorry pal but you seem to be the clueless one. Just go ahead and walk the streets of Anacostia, Deanwood, Kenilworth, Petworth, Ivy City, Congress Heights etc. and get back to me on that. Go ahead and hang out in PG county towns like Suitland, Forest Heights, Oxon Hill, Marlow Heights, Landover, Temple Hills, Cheverly, Seat Pleasant, Forestville etc and tell me the same crap.

I know they cleaned up China town years ago and some areas near capitol hill, but to act like DC isn't still dangerous is just plain foolish and can get you in trouble. Also, not too far from Capitol hill is the infamous Potomac Gardens public housing trash hole. Go walk through there and tell me whats up.
DC feels safer if you have a car. If you walk the streets and ride the metro, DC doesn't always feel like the safest place. There are a lot of unpredictable rowdy violent kids around in DC that basically live on the metro. But Baltimore is much worse than DC in 2012. DC is very gentrified, today. DC has a lot of filthy rich people and they don't walk around scared at all. I have never felt remotely threatened in DC. Upper middle class/wealthy Whites have taken over many formerly dangerous and run-down areas in the District. White people in the District are stinking rich country-club Brooks Brothers/J Crew/Ralph Lauren catalog Bel-Air types. Everyone out here knows that. Whites in Baltimore are not always rich. Many White people in Baltimore live in all White hoods that are just as dangerous as the worst Black hoods in that city. DC has not been in the top ten dangerous cites for years and years. Baltimore feels thoroughly unsafe to walk or drive through in most areas outside of the Inner Harbor. All those kids riding dirtbikes on the wrong side of the street and hundreds of loitering drunk people in the hood for endless blocks all staring in your car.

I don't think this area is all that bad though. Afterall, Maryland is the richest state in country and the DC metro area is currently the richest metro in the nation. I'm originally from the Bay Area. Oakland and Richmond are always in the top ten most dangerous cities list. Not to mention San Francisco's tucked away ghetto neighborhoods that are much more violent and run-down than average. A dirty little secret San Francisco's tourism committee doesn't want you to know is that SF actually has a higher murder rate for Blacks than Oakland, and a higher murder rate for Blacks than pretty much any big city in America. Many years, Baltimore doesn't even crack the top ten most dangerous cities list. I feel much safer in DC than in most places in the Bay. I can't say the same thing about Baltimore because unfortunately B-More does live up to its scary reputation. However, Baltimore did not crack this overall top ten most dangerous cities list:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_1....html?tag=page

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_1....html?tag=page

However, it is no secret that Baltimore has been consistently rated as the second most dangerous city over 500K in the country. All in all, all metro areas have really bad areas and really good areas. It just so happens that most poverty/violent crime/booming underground economy of hard drugs in this metro is intensely concentrated in Baltimore City and SE/NE DC and bordering inner beltway PG County. Conversely, the vast majority of wealth in the Baltimore area is concentrated in the suburban areas like Howard County and a handful of Baltimore city neighborhoods whereas Northwest DC, Potomac, Bethesda, McLean (and wealthy NoVa) and even wealthy parts of outer beltway PG have all the DC wealth.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-01-2012 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or