Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there decided to relocate back to where they were raised, or where they lived once before, and found it had changed? Was it better or worse? Did you regret your move back? Some things, like an old love, are better left in your memory I guess. I went back to the area I grew up in last year, didn't even recognize it, and it kind of "hurt" to see how it had changed. Any thoughts/experiences? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM

41 posts, read 136,052 times
I moved back to my home town, Endicott, NY three years ago. I had moved to Raleigh N.C. for something different and a better quality of life. I loved it at first but each year it got more expensive to live and the population kept growing, and the traffic got out of control.

So I decided to move home for a bit as my brother was having his first child, and I wanted to spend some time with all of my family. I also wanted to figure out my next move.

Nothing really changed in the area at all in three years. It was almost exactly how I remembered it. People were still struggling and depressed, no new businesses or jobs except chain stores, and still not much to do besides shop and barhop. This will always be home, especially since my family seems to set more roots all the time, but it's just not for me. I can't wait to leave, and I'm having fun finding that next right spot for me.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM

That's interesting qazzaq9. I was born and raised in a once idyllic, all
American suburb of Washington D.C. (Montgomery County, Maryland). It was the perfect place to grow up in the '60's and 70's. Then the area "boomed" in the 1980's and 90's, and I felt like I just couldn't BREATHE there anymore. I took my family and "escaped" and went to a small town just outside Charlotee, N.C. My Grandparents had a farm there when I was growing up, and we used to visit every summer. Well, I enjoyed the small town simple life, but when that area started to "boom" too, I got out, for some of the same reasons you say you left Raleigh!

All these people clamoring to get to Raliegh and Charlotte must think we're nuts or something to leave! Slower Pace? yeah, right. Good luck on finding you next best spot to be.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 AM

41 posts, read 136,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
That's interesting qazzaq9. I was born and raised in a once idyllic, all
American suburb of Washington D.C. (Montgomery County, Maryland). It was the perfect place to grow up in the '60's and 70's. Then the area "boomed" in the 1980's and 90's, and I felt like I just couldn't BREATHE there anymore. I took my family and "escaped" and went to a small town just outside Charlotee, N.C. My Grandparents had a farm there when I was growing up, and we used to visit every summer. Well, I enjoyed the small town simple life, but when that area started to "boom" too, I got out, for some of the same reasons you say you left Raleigh!

All these people clamoring to get to Raliegh and Charlotte must think we're nuts or something to leave! Slower Pace? yeah, right. Good luck on finding you next best spot to be.
Thanks. Raleigh was an easy choice for me. This time has proven to be much harder. I know a lot more of what I am looking for, or more importantly what I am not looking for.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
I went back to the town I grew up because I was offered a job in a near by town. Boy, the town looked like it was caught in a time warp. No growth to speak of, more things run down and very depressing. So for me it would be no.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,454 times
I do not really like visiting my hometown anymore. We left because of how expensive and crowded it had gotten, and now it's really hard to drive through. It was once a typical small New England farming town. Now the main route through the town is so overdeveloped that it doesn't even look/feel like the same place I grew up. I'm glad we left, and I have no plans of returning to my hometown to live.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM

Well, at least I'm not the only one. The "Wonder Years" suburbia of my youth has turned into an unrecognizable metropolis. They even completely tore down my High School (it wasn't even that old) and rebuilt a bigger one in it's place to acommodate the masses. The neighborhood I grew up in is now downright "scary". I guess you can't stop "progress" ...sigh... I know I don't EVER want to go back again, sure glad I've got my memories!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Moved to Atlanta at the age of 18 back in the mid 80s. Could not be more different in terms fo cities.

Charleston, WV. hasn't really had a thriving economy in decades, so to see a single 10 story building going up was a huge hoohah in terms of news. I move to Atlanta and they build the equivalent of downtown Charleston (all of it) every single YEAR here. Charleston has been just barely holding steady with it's metro population and Atlanta has been adding between 90,000 to 150,000 per year, every year, since I moved here. In other words, I moved from a somewhat stagnant area to one that's growing TOO much and too fast.

After having been in Atlanta for more than half my life now, I'm burned out. It's too much. An out of control wheel falling down a hillside. I have toyed for some time with going back to WV, but a recent trip did cause me to become very disappointed with what I saw. My old neighborhood where I grew up as a child is now somewhat slummy... my teen neighborhood is surrounded by a Super Walmart and junk stores. The "nice" areas are now in the suburbs, and crime has risen to fairly high levels for such a smaller city.

So right now I guess my answer would be "no", I could not go back home. I WANT to, but could not, because I wouldn't be able to capture that nice smaller urban area I want. Maybe another town one day. Will have to search!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
I'm moving back to my hometown next year (grad school...my top choice just happens to be back home). I know that the city's trying to revamp itself, so that scares me a little. I don't want it to change!

But I guess we'll see...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
I tried once but my parents changed the locks and rented out my room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.