Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:27 AM

307 posts, read 802,898 times

Advertisements

Job was my biggest reason. I had other offers closer to home with similar compensation, but the opportunities to move up weren't there. I had to move 9 hours from home to take a job, but I think it will be worth it in the end. My goal is to eventually get back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystil_mist View Post
cost of living. I'm near Boston and I have a pen pal in Indiana. The houses are so cheap where she is. I see a $200,000 house and don't think twice about it. You might find something here like that, but it doesn't mean it's a nice house, or even big. She sees $200k and says are the kitchen cabinets lined in gold? Her sister got a fix er upper for $80K. Those prices haven't been like that here in over 20 yrs.
This is my second time living in Indiana and I can tell you why houses are cheap. 1) The lack of jobs in many areas= lots of foreclosed properties, distressed properties, and short sales. 2) The lack of good paying jobs and mostly low wages- particularly outside the metro areas. 3) The fact that the housing stock quality is generally subpar and old. 4) Good luck ever selling anything once you buy it.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:41 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Jobs, housing, family, weather are big ones. Here's one you may have missed" recreational opportunities. I know many put in for a transfer to Denver because the skiing opportunities are better. Cost of living has to be measured against the earning potential. You can probably make more money in Boston but the cost of living more than outweighs that. Of course, if you are retiring, you couldn't cate less about the local job market.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I would say jobs and family are the 2 most common reasons for someone moving out of state, me and my g/f just moved from Albuquerque to the San Antonio area, just for the hell of it, we needed a change and we got bored with ABQ, we needed to see some green and have new places to explore. I also wanted a smaller city close to another city so we moved to a city of about 50,000 people.

I really wanted to go to Georgia, but maybe in a couple years.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:47 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This is my second time living in Indiana and I can tell you why houses are cheap. 1) The lack of jobs in many areas= lots of foreclosed properties, distressed properties, and short sales. 2) The lack of good paying jobs and mostly low wages- particularly outside the metro areas. 3) The fact that the housing stock quality is generally subpar and old. 4) Good luck ever selling anything once you buy it.

I can totally see that in Indiana, but at least you got character to the subpar and older housing, its beats tract housing that looks like carbon copys of anytown USA suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.