Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Here in the Twin Cities, it is called the "boulevard".
Interesting. Here in OK and in Texas, where I was raised, a boulevard is the island of grass or sometimes hardscape between opposing directions of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I found alist of Southern sayings but can't find one of Midwestern. Anybody have any to share?

I just wrote a post about this!
blended.typepad.com/blended/2011/05/south-dakota-to-boston-translations.html

Old 09-15-2012, 04:33 AM

164 posts, read 310,415 times
Off vthe top of my head, here's some sayings I remember hearing back in the days when I lived in Muncie, Indiana:

Heaven's to Betsy!...Good night, Nurse....Well, I swan....For the Love of Mike....Bless his heart.

There's others. That's all I can think of for now.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
"Hey, you guys, wait up!" Is one of my favorite Midwestern sayings.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
classic midwest (especially St. Louis and Cincy): What High school did you go too?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I hear:

"hold up" as in saying you need to slow down and repeat what you just said, or if going somewhere you need to stop and wait.

"uff-da" !! Love this one - my dad always says this when he's drinking and gets a really strong drink. It's kinda like "wow!". He says it because our family is from Sweden originally - and it came from that region. I'm guessing it was more northern Minn. and N.D, Wisc. since most people in Iowa had no idea what I was talking about.

You Betchya must be much more up north, because if I ever heard that in Iowa, Illinois or Southern Wisconsin I would immediately think the person was dumb, or probably just picture Sarah Palin I guess.

"You guys" is a general way to address anyone. I would have no problem walking into a room full of women and asking "what are you guys up to?" and they would answer as if nothing was wrong.

Pop as everyone has already mentioned.....

I started to say "jag" after I moved to Chicago. Basically means someone is acting like a moron.

What about "pitch in"? Used if you're in a group who is throwing money in while paying at a restaurant, etc. and you want to know how much everyone needs to contribute.

Does everyone call it a "potluck" when you bring a dish to a party?

In Iowa we called shopping bags "sacks". I had a few instances in Chicago where I kept asking for a sack, and the woman behind the register just stared at me in complete confusion.

Yes up here in northwest Minnesota and eastern North Dakota.... I am not a native of the area but have lived here for 15 years.

you betchya is heard a lot
berm is used to describe grassy area between sidewalk and the street
Uff-da heard at times too
Sacks like in Iowa used for shopping paper bags....
every meal seems to be potluck up here
you guys is used all the time and is used when talking to both sexes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.