U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:01 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,867,251 times

Advertisements

Well, once in awhile I've been known to slip up on the 'at' thing, but I have never, that I'm aware of, used those other phrases unless in jest. I don't even think that I've ever heard "them'uns" (although I'm familiar with the Pennsylvania "you'uns"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
don't ppl in michigan refer to ginger ale as "vernors" (the brand name). i've only seen that soda there - it's good.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,867,251 times
I have a cousin in New England that always buys Vernor's like a madman whenever he comes out of Chicago to visit (we have it here too).

Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 AM

134 posts, read 401,540 times
I have a friend from Eau Claire, WI and he says "You betcha" and "Yep" alot. He also calls soft drinks "pop" (he pronunces it like "pap") and "car" like "kerr." I don't really notice alot of unique sayings like you hear in the South. I travel throughout the Midwest and notice the accent changes when travelling from southern Illinois (which sounds like a midwestern/southern mix) to the Wisconsin border (fully midwestern, very similiar sounding to the Great Lakes region).

Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
One I hear a lot in MN is "come with", as in "Do ya wanna come with?", instead of "Do ya wanna come with me?" People in Milwaukee use the expression "Eh?" a lot, very similar to Canadians. Here in MN, parking garages are called "ramps", and the grassy area between the sidewalk and the cub is called "the boulevard". Also in MN, the word aunt is pronounced "awnt". Listen to Garrison Keillor say it sometime. Everyplace else I've lived, that pronunciation was considered affected: "I simply MUST go visit my awnt in the Hamptons today, right after my polo match!". On cold days, a college friend from North Dakota used to say: It's colder'n a brass john in the Yukon!"

Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Vernors was available in Western NY when I was a kid. Great stuff--it's ginger ale for grown-ups. I can get it at a high end grocery store here in St. Paul, but they don't advertise here. When I was a kid, one of the radio stations in Buffalo had a contest where they'd call random telephone numbers, and if you answered "Vernor's va-va-voom!" when they called, you'd get a prize. (Don't remember what it was, probably a case of Vernor's)

Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I have a cousin in New England that always buys Vernor's like a madman whenever he comes out of Chicago to visit (we have it here too).
really! i've spent a boatload of time in chicago and never saw it, my michigan peeps said it was only available there so i guess i just never noticed or looked for it. i presume they wanted something all their own..

Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Post Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdalton View Post
I have a friend from Eau Claire, WI and he says "You betcha" and "Yep" alot. He also calls soft drinks "pop" (he pronunces it like "pap") and "car" like "kerr." I don't really notice alot of unique sayings like you hear in the South. I travel throughout the Midwest and notice the accent changes when travelling from southern Illinois (which sounds like a midwestern/southern mix) to the Wisconsin border (fully midwestern, very similiar sounding to the Great Lakes region).
I say quite a few of those sayings also and I am from the Kansas/Missouri area. What you are mentioning there is the northern cities shift accent that is common in the midwest core. This accent is common in parts of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, northern Illinois, northern Indiana, and northern Ohio. I still have sort of a northern cities shift accent because I used to live in NW Indiana and they pronounced words similar to your friend in Eau Claire, WI. If you travel to areas south of 40N latitude in areas of the Midwest the southern accents are much more common and the northern cities shift accent definitely begins to die out.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 PM

395 posts, read 910,282 times
In Minnesota, kids play "Duck, duck grey duck" instead of "Duck, duck, goose."

Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,333,806 times
These are more annunciation things than phrases, but there are some phrases too -

These are from the MILWAUKEE or the WISCONSIN area:

(Annunciation) -

-Creek is pronounced "crick"

-Roof is pronounced "rough"

-Bag is pronounced "beg"

-Root is pronounced "rut"

-Vowels are really stressed hard; hard isn't prounounced "hard", it is pronounced - "h-ARD". Car is "c-AR." Minnesota isn't pronounced "Minnesota", it is pronounced "Minn-e-SO-TA"

(Phrases) -

-"Bubbler" is used for a drinking fountain

-"Stop-and-go lights" are used for stop lights

-"Up North" is used for vacationing anywhere north - still in WI or the UP - of where you live

-Alot of "hey"s are used as in "right?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.