Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
^as I understand it, the term hoosier (for urban white trash) in St. Louis originated from early settlers from indiana who settled here during the civil war and brought with them their lack of sophistication. that was the end of its connection to indiana, as far as st. louisis concerned. being a transplant to st. louis, i do not see this term being replaced with another one. it is very st. louis, and seems to be used ubiquitously across generations. my next door neighbor's 11-year-old son yelled "hoosier" out the window to a car racing loudly by. it's not dying out.
I have noticed it isn't dying out in some areas but the outer suburbs/exurbs it seems that way. It will die out due to transplants in my opinion. I heard other stories that the term was tied to when the Chrysler plant opened when many of the origional workers were people from Indiana who bought homes in South County. It also ties the Indiana connection as well as the fact that South County is where the term is associated with the strongest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
PCK

12 posts, read 42,427 times
"er no?" When used in a sentence: "Do you want to come with, er no?" (Do people say this in other parts of the country???)

"ish" as in, yuck

Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,827 times
Oh geez.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
In Iowa we called shopping bags "sacks". I had a few instances in Chicago where I kept asking for a sack, and the woman behind the register just stared at me in complete confusion.
A "sack" is a bag of weed, yo.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
"say yea to da U.P., eh!"
Not to quibble, but it's:

'Say yah to da U.P., eh!'

Den go Green Bay.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Interesting. Yep, I would guess then it may have a German influence. It always drives me up the wall (even though I love my WI) because usually in WI, the accent tends to heavily STRESS vowels and syllables....for example, the town of "Waukesha" (which most would pronounce "Wa-ki-shaw") in Wisconsin is heavily pronounced "WAH-KEE-SHAW"). Yet, creek where you'd expect us Wisconsinites to really stress the "EEK" they change it to "crick"...just weird.

I also notice in Wisconsin...especially many kids...pronounce "Milk" as "Melk"....
That Waukeesha thing is a southern Wisconsin thing, only.

Same with 'Fon JOO Lac' for Fond Du Lac.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
One I hear a lot in MN is "come with", as in "Do ya wanna come with?", instead of "Do ya wanna come with me?" People in Milwaukee use the expression "Eh?" a lot, very similar to Canadians. Here in MN, parking garages are called "ramps", and the grassy area between the sidewalk and the cub is called "the boulevard". Also in MN, the word aunt is pronounced "awnt". Listen to Garrison Keillor say it sometime. Everyplace else I've lived, that pronunciation was considered affected: "I simply MUST go visit my awnt in the Hamptons today, right after my polo match!". On cold days, a college friend from North Dakota used to say: It's colder'n a brass john in the Yukon!"

That 'come with'. structure is from the German, as is the 'En so?' of the Lake Michigan Counties from about Manitowoc on north.

Once you get nearer to the UP border, you lose the word 'to', and definite articles like 'the'. (For example, 'Do you want to go to the store? becomes 'Do you want go store?')

Sounds pretty weird- I thought it was just a strange regionalism first time I heard it- but it comes from the fact that there is no 'to' or 'the' in the Finnish language, and Finns are a force around here.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Hey Bud
Da' day
Big O'
Hey bud I seen a big O' snake da day

Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
That's funny and very true about "er no?" and "ish".

Don't they say those in other places? I always say "so are you coming with us on Friday, er no?".

Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times
Hehe... this is sort of a.. difficult.. thread, since there are tons of dialects *within* the 'Midwest' (as it's usually defined - and it certainly has plenty of definitions). I mean, we've got some of the most Northern of the Northern dialects (whose speakers could easily be [wrongly, obviously] thought Canadian), along with people whom the average American would guess were from Tennessee (natives of most of rural MO, a smidge of SE KS, and southern IL/IN/OH). So, yes, generalizing will be problematic. But examples from specific regions are ok.

But here's one you'll hear in the Northern Midwest, including the Chicago area:

"Can I go with?"/"Are you coming with?", etc. - basically, the 'you' is omitted at the end of the phrase. Apparently (and not surprisingly) it's a German loan... e.g., "Gehst du mit?" ("Are you going with?") [Edit: Ah, Geechie beat me to this one. Oh well. ]

Also, when you're in a temporary state of surprise due to misunderstanding/misinterpreting what someone says, and then said person clears up the misunderstanding, you might say, "I was going to say!" [possibly preceded by "Ah, I get it," or something of the sort] I had no idea this particular expression was regional until a friend of mine from Las Vegas (but whose family was originally from Boston, MA) was confused when I used it... then again, she might've just been weird. I'll have to ask my born-in-Seattle, San-Antonio-raised BF if he's familiar with it when I see him this evening. Oh, and you'll find this feature as far south as MO, whose natives (outside of most of StL and KC) generally fit into the 'Southern' camp, linguistically.

But, yeah, I can see lexical (regional vocabulary) being the emphasis of this thread, since grammatical/syntactic variation (including weird idioms) is pretty limited across the US.. unless you start talking about Spanglish, select varieties of Southern American English (including AAVE), etc.

As for the 'bag'/'sack' thing, though, I *always* used 'bag,' as did my family.. we're from northern IL and the Quad Cities of IA. ('Sack' had a narrower usage... I usually thought of a burlap sort of thing when I thought of that word.. the sort of thing you'd store potatoes in or use in a gunny sack race on track and field day at school. ) 'Bag' was also used in Omaha, NE; Chicago; and Madison, WI. Missouri, on the other hand, is 'sack' country... I always assumed it was because of the sort of Upper/Mountain South influence, since it's also 'sack' in Arkansas. For those Iowans who use 'sack,' what part of the state do you live in?

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 11-02-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.