Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well, aren't you ever the smart alec.
That's kind of funny, guess it's okay for you to put down other people though?
To add insult to injury you had the nerve to ask for peoples opinions and then proceeded to post your offensive comments about the places they live and make derogatory remarks about them.

Once you get past feeling insulted maybe you should think about what JimmyJohn said, because I took away the same impression from your OP. That the problem is your attitude more than it is the area where you live. He's also given you some very good advice about why a change of pace might just be the thing for you.
You'd probably want to do quite a bit of research though, so that you don't wind up in a place no better than where you are now.

As for your original question "If you live in the Ohio Valley, how do you feel about it? If you have moved/were to move away, would you move back?"
I've lived in MI, IN, FL, AL, TX and now TN. MI rates number one in my book, mostly for sentimental reasons, but TN comes in a close second. Great weather, beautiful location, low COL, and the people are very polite. It's not perfect here but it fits my needs and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,400 times
Good takeaways -

IMO it's a good idea to live in and try out different places, especially if you able to further your career experiences & opportunities while doing so. It makes you reassess your original thesis on your previous city when you have comparables.

In the past I bought into the "grass is greener" mentality & so far at the very best it has been just as green. In a new place I can come up with a list of things that are better, a list of things that are worse and in the end the pros/cons usually net out.

Also as mentioned, you will find similar people no matter where you go. You can find your type of people in just about any city. Maybe you are just in the wrong neighborhood. You also have to be careful using your sample bias and applying to whole areas - that's a statistician's nightmare

Full disclosure - the humidity does B-L-O-W

Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Good takeaways -

IMO it's a good idea to live in and try out different places, especially if you able to further your career experiences & opportunities while doing so. It makes you reassess your original thesis on your previous city when you have comparables.

In the past I bought into the "grass is greener" mentality & so far at the very best it has been just as green. In a new place I can come up with a list of things that are better, a list of things that are worse and in the end the pros/cons usually net out.

Also as mentioned, you will find similar people no matter where you go. You can find your type of people in just about any city. Maybe you are just in the wrong neighborhood. You also have to be careful using your sample bias and applying to whole areas - that's a statistician's nightmare

Full disclosure - the humidity does B-L-O-W
80F lows are HORRIBLE. My AC is runs very well and I have some issues sleeping at night due to the heat.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
This message is especially addressed to forum members who live or have lived in the Ohio Valley. Notably, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, western Maryland, Indiana, and Illinois. If you live in the Ohio Valley, how do you feel about it? If you have moved/were to move away, would you move back?
So you don't like a giant chunk of America? Also, the Ohio Valley is not that big.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
80F lows are HORRIBLE. My AC is runs very well and I have some issues sleeping at night due to the heat.
You and me both my friend, it's been a rough stretch

Old 06-24-2010, 08:46 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,542 times
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
I grew up in the Ohio Valley- even went to college one year overlooking the Ohio Valley. I then transferred to get away from the heavy conservative element & a whole new world opened up. I left and only come back for reunions & funerals. The humidity there makes me feel like I have the plaque.

My home is now New Mexico & Alaska. However, I have lived in NY, NJ, Colorado & Hawaii. In all my life experience, there has been no greater feeling of community than my little town of Marietta in the Ohio Valley. When someone is sick, everyone brings food. If someone needs help, everyone comes. There are still streets of brick & historic homes are dearly cherished. There are deep roots, history, closeness. That part is hard to beat.
Funny, I just drove through and stopped in Marietta the other day on my way from Michigan to North Carolina! Nice little place.

I found this thread because I was driving through Eastern Ohio and thought the area was absolutely beautiful. I really dig the rolling hills and small towns--even with the rust belt decline that we see across the midwest, there's still that peaceful quaint charm everywhere you go. I liked it.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Then move!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,373 times
Cleveland is nothing like Kentucky, so if you were expecting to get the same type of mentality as a small town person from Kentucky, you are out of the luck. It's a mixture of Northeast and Midwest, and has nothing in common with the other areas you mentioned.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 PM

78 posts, read 229,663 times
I actually spent a lot of time in Indiana, and have a similar complaint about the people. They just seemed small-minded and kinda boring. It was rare that i could ever find something exciting about the place. However, i felt that surrounding midwest states were a big improvement. I actually like Louisville a lot better, the people seem friendlier, more laid back and more interesting.

To me, it just sounds like too much cabin fever. The Ohio Valley is a very stagnant place, hasn't changed much over the years, nor will it any time soon. You may just need to move to someplace like Raleigh/Charlotte, NC or Dallas/Houston or Chicago/Florida/wherever for a change of pace.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
I actually spent a lot of time in Indiana, and have a similar complaint about the people. They just seemed small-minded and kinda boring. It was rare that i could ever find something exciting about the place. However, i felt that surrounding midwest states were a big improvement. I actually like Louisville a lot better, the people seem friendlier, more laid back and more interesting.

To me, it just sounds like too much cabin fever. The Ohio Valley is a very stagnant place, hasn't changed much over the years, nor will it any time soon. You may just need to move to someplace like Raleigh/Charlotte, NC or Dallas/Houston or Chicago/Florida/wherever for a change of pace.
The biggest positive about Louisville and the surrounding areas ARE the people. Much more friendly and far less snobby and pretentious compared to Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.