U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which side is better?
West Side 40 43.01%
East Side 53 56.99%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times

Advertisements

East coast me thinks. Cali, OR and WA have great coastlines/scenery, but so does the east. Picking between the two, based on scenery only, the west coast has a slight edge. But I chose the east coast based on numerous things: history, scenery, food, cities, range of climates, beaches.

Good thread BTW! This one actually made me think for awhile! LOL
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 AM

6,984 posts, read 14,112,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
East coast me thinks. Cali, OR and WA have great coastlines/scenery, but so does the east. Picking between the two, based on scenery only, the west coast has a slight edge. But I chose the east coast based on numerous things: history, scenery, food, cities, range of climates, beaches.

Good thread BTW! This one actually made me think for awhile! LOL
The west coast has plenty of history, just not of America. There is tons of history about the Mexicans in California and all the missions that Father Serra built all the way along the CA coast. Highway 101 follows that path all the way up the coast.

The scenery-You just said west coast is better. Besides, we have the beaches of SoCal where people can actually surf-not just when a hurricane is coming.Then in NorCal and up, we have scenery very similar to Maine.

Ummm...excuse me...who has the best Mexican food in America. Ooohhhh thats right......SoCal does.

LA, SD, and SB are some of the greatest cities in the country. And there's SF, Portland, Seattle, Monterey, and many others.

CA is not the only place on the west coast people. Especially not SoCal. Yes we don't have seasons down here, but from NorCal and up, we do.

You did not just say we don't have good beaches. Coronado beach has been on the list every year. And where on the east coast can you go in the ocean and see magnificent rolling hills. According to one study, beaches are ranked by water temp where warm is better(not for everyone), amount of rain during the summer with little being better(if i remember correctly, FL receives tons of rain and so does SC, NC, NY, VA), the size of waves with low being better(hah...how do you surf or boogie board-the F****** retarded), number of waves(similar to the other one-you cant ride any in FL), water color(the Pacific is colder and much deeper so of course its going to be darker and not as colorful as the Atlantic), pests/bugs(CA has none while there are millions of mosquitos on the east coast), presence of sewage lines(where else do you want Angelenos to put our trash-all our landfills are full),trash and litter(not being racist but our trash is usually from the Hispanics that come down to the beach with their whole house and don't know what a trash can is-not saying all are like that though and i will admit teens do it sometimes), urbanism(well sorry LA has no more room), vegetation(i'm also sorry that SoCal received almost no rain this year even though it normally doesn't), noise from highways or streets(okay, if there are no cars then how do you get to the beach), noise from crowds(isn't there crowds on every beach),

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 AM

32,407 posts, read 59,910,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Of lower Michigan's two coasts, I prefer Westside, as the Lake Michigan shore is really nice with resort towns, complete with sand dunes and no nasty salt spray.
LOL, and if you want to be more general and include all those other Great Lakes, the North Coast is indeed the best side.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,725,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The west coast has plenty of history, just not of America. There is tons of history about the Mexicans in California and all the missions that Father Serra built all the way along the CA coast. Highway 101 follows that path all the way up the coast.

The scenery-You just said west coast is better. Besides, we have the beaches of SoCal where people can actually surf-not just when a hurricane is coming.Then in NorCal and up, we have scenery very similar to Maine.

Ummm...excuse me...who has the best Mexican food in America. Ooohhhh thats right......SoCal does.

LA, SD, and SB are some of the greatest cities in the country. And there's SF, Portland, Seattle, Monterey, and many others.

CA is not the only place on the west coast people. Especially not SoCal. Yes we don't have seasons down here, but from NorCal and up, we do.

You did not just say we don't have good beaches. Coronado beach has been on the list every year. And where on the east coast can you go in the ocean and see magnificent rolling hills. According to one study, beaches are ranked by water temp where warm is better(not for everyone), amount of rain during the summer with little being better(if i remember correctly, FL receives tons of rain and so does SC, NC, NY, VA), the size of waves with low being better(hah...how do you surf or boogie board-the F****** retarded)
I don't want Mexican history. If I wanted to learan about them, I'd go to Mexico. The history on the East Coast is much more interesting because it's basically about your ancestors. You can still see the houses they lived in 350 years ago, see where they worked, etc. The quaint little fishing towns here are so relaxing and nice.

We can surf here, we get big waves. Of course nothing like the West Coast because of the steep ocean bottom. But since when does surfing make a Coast better?

NoCal and up has seasons? I always thought there were 2 seasons-rainy season and chilly season.

NY and New England don't get much rain. Yeah, we get some rain, which is good. At least we don't have to worry about a drought.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

You did not just say we don't have good beaches. Coronado beach has been on the list every year. And where on the east coast can you go in the ocean and see magnificent rolling hills. According to one study, beaches are ranked by water temp where warm is better(not for everyone), amount of rain during the summer with little being better(if i remember correctly, FL receives tons of rain and so does SC, NC, NY, VA), the size of waves with low being better(hah...how do you surf or boogie board-the F****** retarded), number of waves(similar to the other one-you cant ride any in FL), water color(the Pacific is colder and much deeper so of course its going to be darker and not as colorful as the Atlantic), pests/bugs(CA has none while there are millions of mosquitos on the east coast), presence of sewage lines(where else do you want Angelenos to put our trash-all our landfills are full),trash and litter(not being racist but our trash is usually from the Hispanics that come down to the beach with their whole house and don't know what a trash can is-not saying all are like that though and i will admit teens do it sometimes), urbanism(well sorry LA has no more room), vegetation(i'm also sorry that SoCal received almost no rain this year even though it normally doesn't), noise from highways or streets(okay, if there are no cars then how do you get to the beach), noise from crowds(isn't there crowds on every beach),

Seriously. Whats with LA folks on these boards? Now Im starting to see where the other western states are coming from.... haha. Good frickin grief!

I LOVE the west coast, as well as the east coast. I made that blatantly obvious, in case you didnt read. Yes, the slight edge goes to the west coast for scenery, and the emphasis is on SLIGHT. Food? Who gives a rats **** about Mexican food? Thats pretty much what all of Cali consists of. BLECH. Its great from time to time, dont get me wrong, but who wants to eat that all the time? And the east coast has better seafood. And SoCal DOESNT have the best Mexican food, New Mexico does, FAR AND AWAY.

And Im sure most would take mosquitos over the scorpions,tarantulas, giant centipedes, rattlesnakes and black widows that call CA home, not to mention mountain lions. None of the "pests" on the East coast can put you 6 ft under.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Seriously. Whats with LA folks on these boards? Now Im starting to see where the other western states are coming from.... haha. Good frickin grief!

I LOVE the west coast, as well as the east coast. I made that blatantly obvious, in case you didnt read. Yes, the slight edge goes to the west coast for scenery, and the emphasis is on SLIGHT. Food? Who gives a rats **** about Mexican food? Thats pretty much what all of Cali consists of. BLECH. Its great from time to time, dont get me wrong, but who wants to eat that all the time? And the east coast has better seafood. And SoCal DOESNT have the best Mexican food, New Mexico does, FAR AND AWAY.

And Im sure most would take mosquitos over the scorpions,tarantulas, giant centipedes, rattlesnakes and black widows that call CA home, not to mention mountain lions. None of the "pests" on the East coast can put you 6 ft under.
Yup, nobody wants to eat Mexican everyday. And California Style Pizza might be the most unappealing pizza ever.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yup, nobody wants to eat Mexican everyday. And California Style Pizza might be the most unappealing pizza ever.
Amen.

I love good Mexican joints, no doubt. But being surrounded by a majority of Mexican restaurants gets old, even on my 2 week trips to AZ I get sick of it.

As for pizza, youre correct. California pizza is a sin, and a nasty sin at that.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 AM

East Coast (Northeast)
http://www.ahpcs.org/images/SpringfieldMuseums/CommonSpringTowne_small.jpg (broken link)

Amberlyn--Boston area

Paul Revere

All digital photo copyrights belong to Guy Schmickle

Stephen Wealands

Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 AM

606 posts, read 2,779,173 times
west coast, so much nicer. the hills the nice cites, the east coast is just a crammed coast full of New Englanders looking for clam chowder.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 PM

115 posts, read 444,320 times
To quote Jim Morrison- "The West is the Best"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or