Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which side is better?
West Side 40 43.01%
East Side 53 56.99%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
ya i understand what you mean that both coasts are great. the east coast has the denseness and the american culture while the west coast has more scenery on the direct coastline.

so what are those hills/mountains in the background on NYC. i don't think i've ever seen them before. no offense but that can't really compare to Vancouver, Seattle, or LA in the winter, although Manhattan alone doesn't need anything to make the skyline beautiful
I think they are a part of the appalachain mountains, not sure though. And there is no way theses even begin to compare to mountains in LA, SD, Vancouver,ect... These are just hills, not mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
The West for me, also. Those aren't comparable hills or mountains, but that is a wonderful picture of a city I don't even respect! Let's please keep the pics to a minimum on each post.

WOW! YOU are the first ive ever met

Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
I hear that the west is a colony of the east coast

Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
This thread has continued its downward spiral, how unexpected, lol.

The east coast and west coast 'repaid' Middle America for saving them from Germany and Japan during WWII by, of course, doing in "Grandma Millie" (a la Enron). The joke is on them ... the east and west coasts produce so little of cultural or economic value other than crappy Hollywood films and sham mergers/buyouts that never last. Much of my useful academic/cultural/industrial products are imported from overseas (Britain, Germany, and Japan).

The east and west coasts are two parts of the same dumbbell. Chicago must be guarded against the continual predations by NYC and LA at all costs.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 AM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post

The east coast and west coast 'repaid' Middle America for saving them from Germany and Japan during WWII by, of course, doing in "Grandma Millie" (a la Enron). The joke is on them ... the east and west coasts produce so little of cultural or economic value other than crappy Hollywood films and sham mergers/buyouts that never last. Much of my useful academic/cultural/industrial products are imported from overseas (Britain, Germany, and Japan).

The east and west coasts are two parts of the same dumbbell. Chicago must be guarded against the continual predations by NYC and LA at all costs.
Hmmmmm.

What if the United States happened to split into 3 countries: East America, West America, and Middle America. Would you think that Middle America would be the most well off? Serious question.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
east coast doesn't have any hills. we're talking about hills right on the ocean. the east coast doesn't have that.
Nope but the great cities that make up the Boston-Washington megapolis are between the hills and the ocean. The East Coast has many cities close by unlike the West where they are far apart with almost nothing in between.

Mountains are overrated. My ears kept popping on my trek out West because of the elevation. It is simply too high in some parts. I don't understand why people like to live up that high. I prefer living near sea level and none of the Pacific Coastal cities are anywhere near sea level--it's just water covered mountains.

On my trip to Chicago, I couldn't wait to arrive in the flat land on the lake because the hills in OK, KS, MO, IA, and downstate IL were getting old.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM

94 posts, read 466,838 times
Quote:

Its people like this that make me embarressed sometimes about the type of people in chicago. Nothing valid to point out, except that he gives more evidence to people who say Chicago has an inferiority complex.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times
Default This one is the best cost:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Beto/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)Click image for larger version

Name:	duda04.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	19522

Click image for larger version

Name:	aBAP_parque.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	19523

Name:	mac-pao-de-acucar.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	19524

Name:	duda01.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	19525

Name:	Cod.211-24 Aterro do Flamengo-Rio.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	19527

Name:	foto10.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	19528

Name:	foto21.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	19529

Name:	foto04.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	19531
its called RIO DE JANEIRO, BRASIL

Old 05-09-2008, 07:30 PM

37 posts, read 103,581 times
Quote:
The east coast and west coast 'repaid' Middle America for saving them from Germany and Japan during WWII by, of course, doing in "Grandma Millie" (a la Enron). The joke is on them ... the east and west coasts produce so little of cultural or economic value other than crappy Hollywood films and sham mergers/buyouts that never last.
??? California and New York alone lost almost 50,000 citizens in World War 2. Or do you mean from an industrial standpoint? I don't know about the East Coast, but the West Coast was a hub of military industry during World War 2 (and still is). Geographically speaking, it's financially prohibitive to build things like aircraft carriers and submarines in the Midwest.

If you're talking about modern economies, I don't know where you're coming from when you say "the east and west coasts produce so little of cultural or economic value other than crappy Hollywood films and sham mergers/buyouts that never last." I know it's a repeated so often as to have become a cliche, but California is the 7th largest economy in the world. Agriculture is by far our largest industry, (twice as large as entertainment), but it would be neglectful to not include aerospace and the tech sector. Plus, New York is, well, New York. Added together, the GSP (gross state product) of New York and California is higher then the next 7 states combined (not including Texas, because, while it's technically in the middle, it's also a coastal state and in the South, which isn't usually considered Middle America).

Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
West coast baby! Actually, both coasts are great and very different, but I would probably give the west a slight edge:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.