Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times

Advertisements

With all our debt, do we even have a decade left before states start seceding? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,095 times
I am sure these small individual states can support themselves economically (sarcastic). You know, the cost of maintaining armies, embassies and their staff and the functions of all federal agencies can be supported by just a small tax increase (sarcastic).

I hope that you are trying to be funny, because if not, than that's pretty sad.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
The rate at which the regime in power is messing things up is why such a question is asked.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,095 times
Seriously, Americans are far too mobile of a population to have much in the form of "roots" in the different states. That is what separated the US from other countries with secessionist problems. The closest thing that the US has to a true secessionist movement is in Hawaii. However, even that movement is not realistic. It is supported by the native Hawaiians who are just a small minority in their islands. They simply do not have the numbers for their secession goals to go anyway. Even on Hawaii too many people are from other places. Whites from the East Coast have moved in and I am sure it is only a matter of time until a more significant Hispanic population migrates in that will have little interest in the grievences of Native Hawaiians.

Hence, to suggest that the Midwest will go its way and the New England states will go theirs is just rubbish. I cannot predict what will happen 300 years from now, but I am almost sure that no one on this forum will live to see a political breakup of the US.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
lol @ the people who let all the online conspiracies they read scare them. The US isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future. I don't think any of us will see the US end. Unless the world ends haha. But seriously no one knows how the world is going to be like in 500 years from now. Have you seen how much technology has evolved in the last 20 years? If we went back in time to as recent as 1990 and showed off our Ipads, Iphones with skype, 3D paper thin HD TVs, our computers, our websites, our cars, our health care technologies, our military technologies, etc etc etc etc. They would think its unreal. Now just imagine how it could possibly be like in 500 years if these trends continue.. Technology can change the world, and it already has and still is. But as far as the US goes, despite the recession we are still the most powerful country, and I do not see us going anywhere anytime soon. I don't know about everyone else on this site but I'm proud to call my self an American. Gob bless and long live the USA.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Until The End Of Time *Beyonce voice*.

I don't ever see any secession movements, I can't fathom something like that happening in the U.S.

That "the end is near" stuff for every single thing is soooo annoying. People go off the deep end with those theories, way too much exaggeration.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
The US is more mobile than much of Europe, but parts of it are at least somewhat rooted.

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Going by that Michigan, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, and Ohio are fairly rooted.

Still I'd think secession would not happen because none of the states have a sense of being separate nations the way European subsections sometimes do and none of them really have a non-English language as dominant. Texas might be the closest of the above to having those two qualities.

How long the US will last I'm not sure. Michael Shermer stated that the sixty civilizations in his database had an average life expectancy of 420.6 years. Going by that the US will end in 2203 if we start US history with the treaty that ended the American Revolution or in 2197 if you start by the Declaration of Independence.

Michael Shermer » Why ET Hasn’t Called

Although that's somewhat arbitrary and speculative a range of 2190-2210 sounds plausible to me.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Most Americans are gonna say the US will always be around. I disagree. I see vast unrest in this country, there is a dip and divide in America today that is much wider and much deeper than EVER. I would be surprised if the US was still around in 2100.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Most Americans are gonna say the US will always be around. I disagree. I see vast unrest in this country, there is a dip and divide in America today that is much wider and much deeper than EVER. I would be surprised if the US was still around in 2100.
This isn't anything new in the US. So, what makes this different?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This isn't anything new in the US. So, what makes this different?
Are you blind? Never has the polarization between the Left and Right been greater than now. Never has the national debt been so high. The middle class is shrinking, many Americans are not that rich even by global standards. We don't make anything anymore, and our innovation is declining rapidly. The opportunities for young people in this country are lower than ever. You really think it's still like the 60's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.