Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?????
Coal 5 15.63%
Nuclear power 14 43.75%
Wind power 6 18.75%
Solar power 4 12.50%
Biomass 0 0%
Geothermal 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Yes, Texas can really be the winner in the US about green economy because this state has the largest wind and solar resources !
Texas is really good for wind power, but for solar the state is bad, but apparently Texas understood that.
Why is solar bad here?

Texas has plenty of sunshine year round.

Even here in small town Tyler we are starting to utilize solar energy. I've seen several new stop lights around town just within the past few months with solar panels affixed onto them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Anything but wind power, please.

I'm sorry, but those windmills are hideous. They destroy the landscape. Is there such a thing as "visual pollution"? I'm sorry. I don't want to look at them. It seems that wind farms often give people a severe case of "not in my backyard!"

Are the Merits of Wind Power Overblown? [Mackinac Center]

Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Why is solar bad here?

Texas has plenty of sunshine year round.

Even here in small town Tyler we are starting to utilize solar energy. I've seen several new stop lights around town just within the past few months with solar panels affixed onto them.
It's bad because Texas has great potential but it never utilized it before. But it's starting to understand that and do something about it to enhance the Solar Energy in the state.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Somewhere I read that there is a big solar energy push in Saudi Arabia! I guess it's more profitable to export s few million more barrels than to use it domestically, and there is probably plenty of sunlight. But then, in the U.S. any alternative electricity source is most likely to cut the use of domestically produced coal. Then it can be exported to countries that have carbon credits.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,885 times
Nuclear is the most safe, clean & currently economical source of electricty. The spent Uranium can be recycled and now produces very little waste which is containable. There are now small package nuclear power plants which require little maintenance and can power a small city.

Why aren't we building new nuclear power plants?

Coal, Oil, Wind, Natural Gas and those who stand to profit the most, coupled with unsubstantiated fear.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Wind, solar, geothermal, and hydroelectric (the latter where we get a majority of our power already) are the best for the Northwest. On the east side of the Cascades we get more sun and our wind energy potential is among the best in the entire country in the Columbia Gorge and certain mountain ranges on the east side.

Nuclear is a bad option for the Northwest, because it is such a geologically active area. Earthquakes + nuclear power plants = not a happy ending.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
I was wrong to logically think that Pittsburgh wasn't a good candidate for using solar and wind. An hour-long program the other night was all about Pgh. being an ideal location for such use. I only caught tidbits because it was so boring... making your house solar could cost $300,000, but, the govt. will give you a 30% credit for doing it. Your state might also participate.

My aunt lived on Three Mile Island when that nuclear meltdown occured. She's alright, but glows in the dark.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Use the resources of the area your in, why ship coal hundreds or thousands of miles away to an area that the sun or wind would better serve as an energy provider. The southwest doesn’t need coal but should have solar power, and the areas that wind is available most of the time should use that energy source.

Reducing and moving off of carbon fuels for energy is only logical if we don’t want to continue to affect the planet in a negative way. Renewable sources of wind, water and solar are clean energies that improve our lives.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,750 times
Nanotechnology.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:04 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
Wind power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.