Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM

110 posts, read 269,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
do i have to prove it to you? thats not the ozarks
Well, you proved me wrong, not going to deny that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 PM

990 posts, read 3,175,223 times
Southern Illinois and Indiana in general are definitely "Southern Culture", I honestly don't consider places like the UP, Upper Wisconsin and Upper Minnesota to be real mid-western if anything they have a "Northwoods" culture of sorts. You pegged Florida pretty well though lol.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y.../Untitled1.jpg

This is a new map of much more specific culture regions in the US. I included a few transition areas. They're more of sub regions.
I will not speak for all the border states, but for Oklahoma/Texas and for the majority of the South, this map is very well done. You have demonstrated a nice associational cultural commonality between the vast majority of Oklahoma and Texas (which is true/obvious) as well as the western half of Arkansas in your yellow Western South section. Very well done....haven't seen too many maps that catch this.

Bravo!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Mostly a good map, but . . .

Western NY and Western PA are not the Midwest - they are Northeastern. Neither is WV or KY - they are the South.

The Great Plains are just the western edge of the Midwest (and the South, in Oklahoma and Texas). Central and western ND have much more in common culturally with Minnesota than Texas or Wyoming. Eastern Montana and Wyoming are more Western than anything, and have more in common with the Mountain West. The Great Plains also extend into Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois. Really, the Great Plains are a geographic region, not a cultural region. The Plains cover all regions (Midwest, West, and South) in the U.S. except the Northeast, and also cover much of Canada.
>>>>>
Really, the Great Plains are a geographic region, not a cultural region.
<<<<<

Tis truth. Well said.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,504,237 times
are you interested in physical geography or culture?

Upstate new york has far more in common culturally with new england than it does with any part of West Virginia.

The northeast is complicated that way. There are historical cultural influences. There are geographic topographic zones. And there are modern socio economic regions. None of which really line up with each other. You need to decide what you are mapping before you map the NE.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,504,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I agree 110%

Now watch someone come in here and try to argue Maryland, D.C., Northern VA, and Delaware have southern culture

-Waits for $mk to step in

At a very minimum to break mid atlantic from greater NY. Historic culture, dialect differences that last to this day, etc. You can talk about the corridor as much as you want, Brooklyn and St Marys County are NOT in the same cultural region.

I would even go further and break greater Philly, the ur region of pennsylvania and much of general american culture, from the chesapeake. The chesapeake was the ur region of Southern culture, and if the northern half is no longer southern, its still distinctive from SE Penn and southern Jersey.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
I certainly wouldn't put WV in the Northeast. MAYBE, the far Eastern panhandle of WV...MAYBE. I also wouldn't consider half of Florida to be "Caribbean".

Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Denver and Wyoming are in the Mountain West, not the Great Plains.
Denver and Eastern WY are totally on the Great Plains. Sorry.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Eastern CO and Eastern WY are in the Great Plains, Denver is on the edge.
True. But you put the plains boundary too far west. The mountains start about 3/8 of the way west into CO.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y.../Untitled1.jpg

This is a new map of much more specific culture regions in the US. I included a few transition areas. They're more of sub regions.
I can't speak for many of the areas shaded/colored, but I think you did a hell of a good job in labeling/re-defining a "Western South" which includes the majority of Texas and Oklahoma (and portions of Arkansas). This is literally the "Old Southwest". A sub-region of the American South that has not a much at all in common with the "Southwest" of New Mexico and Arizona.

I kinda wonder about south Texas though. It is not truly SW (i.e. interior SW), but anymore it is likely not "western South" either, what with the hispanic/Mexican influence becoming ever more dominent. At one time it was, but today? I would almost consider it a sub-region in the same sense -- perhaps -- as southern Florida? Maybe "Tex-Mex South"? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.