Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

For Texas. I would move the Green line just a little bit more to the West. It will stop East of the Houston metro area and travel up to Tyler-Longview-Kilgore areas.
Yellow I would also slightly move it to the West. I think the rest is spot on in Texas though you could make an argument that the purple could extend far into West Texas. Might step on some toes here. But Houston's black population keeps it in the yellow. But outside of that, Houston could easily be blue in your map. Same with Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Greater Jacksonville OTOH should be yellow not green.

Depending on how micro you want to get, there would be blue areas at the beaches, in NE Clay county, in southern Duval cty.

Greater Jacksonville should definitely be green.

Jacksonville is often called the "Capital of South Georgia."

Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Greater Jacksonville should definitely be green.

Jacksonville is often called the "Capital of South Georgia."
Its called that, but its still got a huge yankee influence.

Folks from the northeast, the midwest, and the border states.

I mean its a lot more yankee than say rural southside virginia. Probably about as yankee as Richmond. All of which are yellow on that map.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Its called that, but its still got a huge yankee influence.
Folks from the northeast, the midwest, and the border states.

I mean its a lot more yankee than say rural southside virginia. Probably about as yankee as Richmond. All of which are yellow on that map.
You can thank the military base for that. It's the same for the Hampton Roads in Virginia. Still, Jacksonville is still easily Southern.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can thank the military base for that. It's the same for the Hampton Roads in Virginia. Still, Jacksonville is still easily Southern.
First of all there are three military bases.

But no, its not just the military. There are lots of yankees with no connection to the military whatsoever. Folks who came down for jobs, or who came down for the Florida lifestyle and somehow picked Jax over Tampa, Miami and Orlando.

Have you ever lived in Jacksonville? I did for three years.

Probably 35 to 40% or so of the white population was northern transplants and their florida born children in the mid 80s when I lived there.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
First of all there are three military bases.

But no, its not just the military. There are lots of yankees with no connection to the military whatsoever. Folks who came down for jobs, or who came down for the Florida lifestyle and somehow picked Jax over Tampa, Miami and Orlando.

Have you ever lived in Jacksonville? I did for three years.

Probably 35 to 40% or so of the white population was northern transplants and their florida born children in the mid 80s when I lived there.
Lived but visited many times as I have family there. It's hardly growing at all and it is the 4th largest metro in the state. Not many pick Jax over the other three cities. You cannot deny that much of the new transplants to that area are a result of the military.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 20,056 times
Maryland is not part of the south, and thus should not be on the map about the U.S. southern "culture area" in the first place. I am a native Marylander and do not consider myself or Maryland southern.

Virginia however, is southern.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Lived but visited many times as I have family there. It's hardly growing at all and it is the 4th largest metro in the state. Not many pick Jax over the other three cities. You cannot deny that much of the new transplants to that area are a result of the military.
Has it stopped growing? It was growing rapidly in the 80s, and I am pretty sure in the 90s. The thing about the military is, they transfer in, and then they transfer out. I am quite sure the vast majority of northern transplants in the mid 80s were unconnected to the military. At that time the rust belt was in deep recession, and rustbelt types went to ALL the major florida metro areas.

hmm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson...a#Demographics

10% growth in 8 years. You can call that hardly growing at all, if you like. Note 17% growth in the 80s and almost 16% growth in the '90s. That implies a significant transplant population. Which, again, confirms my experience.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Jacksonville, FL MSA Population and Components of Change

Yeah, I would call that barely growing each year though compared to the other Florida cities.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:30 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...ank_620/so.jpg

This is a map of the Southern cultural area I made.

Green- Deep South, always included.
Yellow- Usually included, alot of influence.
Blue- May or may not be included, influenced by South and other regions.
Purple- Not usually included, just a bit of Southern influence, more influence from other neighboring areas.

Tell me if you think it needs work. Thanks!
I can't quite agree as concerns most of Texas (big surprise for those who know me, huh? LOL).

But seriously, the thing is, the majority of Texas is heavily influenced/affected by Southern history and culture. Even large parts of west Texas. And perhaps most importantly, a majority of west Texans (east of the trans-pecos) consider themselves to live in the South and be Southerners.

Most of Texas has a "western" image (at least largely due to Hollywood movies), but it is essentially a Southern state in all the important components.

It (with the exception of East Texas as seems to be indicated on your map) it is not "southeastern", but the idea and concept of the South is much larger and deeper rooted in history and outlook and things related. To define the South along the lines of the "southeast" and the commonly associated images, is a bit abbreviated (IMHO). The South is

A region -- in the sense of how usually defined and deliniated -- generally involves shared characteristics of the same history and culture and settlement patterns with states. Texas may be "western", but so is Kansas. Neither however, have much in common with one another nor with the Rocky Mountain or Interior Southwest States...which constitute the true West of today.

That Texas is TEXAS, a region of its own, is something most Texans (as well as lots of other Americans) would agree with. But when it is placed within a region, it is essentially a Southern state. The "western" qualities are important, but only as they are contrasting with "eastern". When it comes down to basic affiliation with other states, Texas is more linked to the southeastern states (which furnished most of it original settlers and made the main impact) than to the "West".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.