Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state do you like the most?
California 12 60.00%
Texas 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 AM

41 posts, read 113,160 times

Advertisements

Which state do you like the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Texas to live in, California to visit.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
California for natural scenery and it's cities.

Texas economically. California is to Liberal with some of it's laws, and Texas can be too conservative with some of it's laws. I'm a moderate, neither would make a good political ground for me, but I guess I prefer Texas's more, because the state overall is trying to do something about the illegal immigration problem at least. That's one of the few things I highly dislike about California.

But overall:

California for it's natural scenery, it's cities, and it's beaches.

Texas for it's economy, it's security near the border, and it's progress.

By the way, I'm not against illegal immigrants, but I am against the drug wars and the shootings and killings that tend to happen near the border and how harmful it can be for families living in border states and such... that's my main concern with border security, I feel California is way to lenient on that. (Texas is more strict about it)

Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Two entirely different states with good and bad aspects. It would help if you would set some criteria of exactly what you would like compared. Example: physical geography\ urban-rural settings\ climate\ political characteristics\ business-industry\ cultural aspects, etc.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Actually OP, you might want to add the criteria factor soon to save your thread from getting closed down.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
California for natural scenery and it's cities.

Texas economically. California is to Liberal with some of it's laws, and Texas can be too conservative with some of it's laws. I'm a moderate, neither would make a good political ground for me, but I guess I prefer Texas's more, because the state overall is trying to do something about the illegal immigration problem at least. That's one of the few things I highly dislike about California.

But overall:

California for it's natural scenery, it's cities, and it's beaches.

Texas for it's economy, it's security near the border, and it's progress.

By the way, I'm not against illegal immigrants, but I am against the drug wars and the shootings and killings that tend to happen near the border and how harmful it can be for families living in border states and such... that's my main concern with border security, I feel California is way to lenient on that. (Texas is more strict about it)
I am firmly against any form of illegal immigration whether it be across the US/Mexico border or from other countries into the United States.

If you're going to come here, do it like my great grandparents did, or my girlfriend who is here from the Phillippines on a Working Visa.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I am firmly against any form of illegal immigration whether it be across the US/Mexico border or from other countries into the United States.

If you're going to come here, do it like my great grandparents did, or my girlfriend who is here from the Phillippines on a Working Visa.
I think a lot of us can agree that should be the right way to do it. Tax dollars from citizens and such is a terrible way to live off your life in a country your not a citizen to or respect the laws of.

I know a lot of people come for a better life, but in reality the idea of illegal immigration has brought a lot of negative connotation for border states. Federal funding going to waste on the border, when it isn't as efficient keeping it secure and keeping illegal immigrants out as well as shootings and killings and drug trades.

I was hoping to stay more neutral about the matter myself but the thing is, I like diversity on the streets of Houston and I'd like to see it more diverse. Contributions come in and cultures mix, food options grow, etc... but I would like to see those people here on their own two feet and such.

I forgot where I read this but some politician in a border state was recently criticized for scholarships to an illegal immigrant over kids in the state who deserved it more. The immigrant didn't have the best marks or anything but was granted the scholarship.

I normally stay away from politics, because it's not really my favorite matter but it plays a lot into where I would like to live. I am accepting of peoples backgrounds and of their orientation, but I don't like the immigration policy in the border states. We're suffering because of that. Even in Chicago we truly are, the gangs in Chicago, a lot of the gangs are Mexican gangs (nothing against Mexican people) and most of the members are not citizens but they're illegal immigrants.... that do harm.

I don't even want to get into crime and illegal immigration, there was a story from a few decades ago about a gang of illegal immigrants who murdered two high school girls in Houston and then when penalized before the families they caused suffering too, they tried to get help from Mexico to escape capital punishment. Elizabeth Pena's murder I believe. If interested you can look up the details on it.

Yeah, I think people should be here the right way, and I'm a minority myself (South Asian) and I agree that the laws of the country apply to everyone.

Anyways back to the topic at hand, Texas and California are way to different to compare without certain list of criteria to do it with. Plus seeing how so many of these threads have existed before in the past, I really would suggest adding the criteria as soon as possible to save the thread from being shut down.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I know a lot of people come for a better life, but in reality the idea of illegal immigration has brought a lot of negative connotation for border states.
See that's the thing. People come here to the US thinking life is all peachy when its really not. Work hard all day, come home, rinse, repeat. Its very robotic in a way. In other much poorer countries the simpler things in life seem to be enjoyed more.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
I know this thread is not about illegal immigration and how it is handled in Texas and California but I do want to briefly respond. The comment about California being "way too lenient" is a misconception in my opinion. Frankly the two states are probably very similar in dealing with illegal immigration. California, to be sure, is more outspoken and upset with Arizona's law but even a few cities in Texas have also supported a boycott of Arizona. California's position is that the Arizona solution is unconstitutional and an insult to Latinos. By imposing a boycott on Arizona is merely California's way of influencing Arizona to change the law or drop it altogether. But like Texas, California does not want a totally free unsecured border.

Hopefully the OP will rewrite this thread to be more specific.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I know this thread is not about illegal immigration and how it is handled in Texas and California but I do want to briefly respond. The comment about California being "way too lenient" is a misconception in my opinion. Frankly the two states are probably very similar in dealing with illegal immigration. California, to be sure, is more outspoken and upset with Arizona's law but even a few cities in Texas have also supported a boycott of Arizona. California's position is that the Arizona solution is unconstitutional and an insult to Latinos. By imposing a boycott on Arizona is merely California's way of influencing Arizona to change the law or drop it altogether. But like Texas, California does not want a totally free unsecured border.

Hopefully the OP will rewrite this thread to be more specific.
There should be nothing insulting about it if you are here legally. It seems like the legal Hispanics would actually want such a law to be in place as they are nothing like their illegal counter parts & want to separate themselves as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.