Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM

122 posts, read 401,895 times

Advertisements

I'll start by saying that I am a 25 year old single male with no kids. I am currently living in the Pensacola, FL area which is where I have lived my entire life. This area has always been home to my family and most of my family live here and the ones who don't, visit this area often. I have owned a home in this area going on four years now, which I plan on keeping and having some family stay in it regardless of where I go. I haven't had any friends in several years now, and haven't had a date in nearly two years.

Why do I want to leave? Many reasons:

1. Job Market: IT Positions (Help Desk/Desktop Support/Tech Support) are non-existent in this area. The only IT positions in this area are on military bases and are programming which I have no skills to do. I was laid off from my IT position in 2008 and have spent the last couple of years just working anything I can find and doing contract work. In 2009, I made a whopping $6000 for the year. I've looked for positions anywhere from Mobile, AL to Panama City, FL. The only other positions in this area are food service and retail which would pay $7 or $8 an hour which I simply cannot live on. I'm not looking to make much, but would like to have a entry level IT position (as I had before) making somewhere in the $12 an hour range (I used to make $15 an hour)

2. Tired of the area: I have lived here my entire life and have done pretty much everything any anything. This area isn't very large and I feel like I am at a dead end here and that this area has nothing else to offer me. Pensacola is small to the point where it's not hard to know another persons business and whatnot.

3. Oil Spill: My home is just 5 blocks from the water, and nearly everyday I walk out of my house, the fumes are very strong. I'm worried about long term health effects due to being so closely exposed to the fumes. As the fumes have got stronger in my area, I've been having more trouble with my already bad allergies and been sick and can't breathe outside when the fumes are strong.

I've been thinking about relocating to the following cities:

Jacksonville, FL
Tampa, FL
Columbus, OH (details below for this exception)
but I am open to nearly any city in the Southeast, something within a 6-8 hour drive to Pensacola, FL so I can visit family often.

I have been to Jacksonville several times in recent years and actually have two cousins that live over there (and most of my family has lived there at one point or another), so I wouldn't be 100% alone over there and I somewhat know the area. I don't like Jacksonville that much, but it's close to home and it's a decent sized city. I've been to Tampa, FL many times as a kid and even had family that lived down there at one point. My only worry about Tampa is that I don't know a single person there, so I would be 100% on my own. As for Columbus, OH... I was born just outside town and my dad, step mom, grandma, and brother all live there and have offered me a free two bedroom apartment to stay in. My reasons for not wanting to move there is because it's simply too far from my "home" and the commute from the apartment to Columbus would be 70+ miles one way. I've also never driven in snow and whatnot. The last reason is because my dad and I are not on speaking terms at the moment, it was my step-mom's mom who offered me a place to stay. I do talk to my step mom, brother, and grandma on a daily basis. I have been to Columbus several times and did like it there, but was a large adjustment.

I've also considered Atlanta, but it's simply too large for me. I've driven through there before and the traffic is just too much for me. I had cars honking at me and people yelling out their windows at me driving through there... never again! I've also considered Knoxville, TN, as I have been up to that area at least 10+ times growing up.

I'm open to other cities in the area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Perhaps Nashville or maybe even Huntsville.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
I'll second Akhenaton06's suggestion of Nashville. The IT field here is pretty big. It's about a 7 hour drive to Pensacola, I usually go down there about once a year.

Good Luck in your search

Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
I would suggest a job in some branch of the US military. Three hots and a cot plus a decent monthly pay ain't bad. Plus the GI bill and your IT experience will possibly get used while in the service.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I would suggest a job in some branch of the US military. Three hots and a cot plus a decent monthly pay ain't bad. Plus the GI bill and your IT experience will possibly get used while in the service.
I cannot get clearance, which is required for any IT Positions. Believe me, I've already looked at that option. My uncle has been in the US Navy for 30 years as a Master Chief Recruiter. In addition to that, I also can't pass the physical because I do not meet the height/weight requirements.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Huntsville, Nashville, or Knoxville.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
If Atlanta seems too big Nashville will probably feel too big also, although it's likely there may be more job opportunities in the bigger cities.
Huntsville might work, but TN has no state income tax, like FL.
Check out Knoxville. Knoxville is also close to a lot of great outdoor recreation if you enjoy that kind of activity.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
What do you think is the most important issue for you. Having some family near by or a city that gets you away from Pensecola. From reading this it seems to me you want some family nearby which is understandable. So you need to narrow down your options because that is the only way to make a decision on this matter.. Look at the areas you mentioned where you have family and go from there. Think about which family members you feel closest to can also help you narrow down the search. If you have a list of places that keeps getting bigger and bigger you may never find your place. Sometimes less choices makes for the best choice.

Also I don't think your wanting to live in a large metro, although of your choices I would say Columbus would be the better. It really is a nice city and is respected by many as such. Atlanta for many is just to big and scares them away. I know I cannot take that city due to its sprawl and traffic. The traffic in the Atlanta area seems to bother me more than LA.

You will make the right choice. Im so sorry about the Oil Spill that is affecting the Gulf Coast. I certainly hope there will be provisions made for every person and region that has felt the effects of the spill. Best of Luck.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Columbus is my main focus at the moment. I was born just east of it in Zanesville, so my dad, step mom, brother, and grandma all live there. I have been offered a free two bedroom apartment by my stepmom's sister and her mom at their place just south of Zanesville. My dad and I aren't on speaking terms at the moment, but am hoping once I am up there that we can work on our relationship. The commute is going to be very long, roughly 80 miles one way to Columbus. However, it's a free apartment and hopefully can eventually move to Columbus, or at least closer to it anyway.

I hate being so far away from my family here in Pensacola, but it's not like I am moving to Washington state or anything... I am still a (long) day's drive away, and only a 5 hour flight or so. I could still come home a couple times a year at least.

It also never fails, every time I send my resume off to companies in Columbus, I ALWAYS get calls. I sent my resume off to perhaps a half-dozen companies over the past couple of days, and have already got two calls! I haven't even made a dent into the 400+ IT listings on CareerBuilder/Monster yet!

I did send my resume off to several companies in Tampa, Jacksonville, and Knoxville as well, but haven't got any calls or e-mails yet.

As for Columbus, I do like the city. I've been there a few times and have looked into the area a lot and can't believe how affordable the housing is there. In Pensacola, I paid $55,000 for a 3/2 1300SQFT Mobile Home on it's own tiny lot (home was 7 years old at time of purchase) and yet, I see 1600+sq foot homes in decent neighborhoods near Columbus going for $50,000! That's just simply crazy.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
After watching the nightly news tonight which focused on the cleanup of oil in Pensecola. I can't think of a better time for you to take a break from the area. All those people working in the heat on Pensecola beach trying to clean it up. All those people that depend on the tourist dollar and the tourist ae not coming this year. The news also mentioned so many in the gulf areas including Pensecola are thinking of leaving the area because of loss of income. Sounds like Columbus is calling you. If that is where the calls about jobs are coming from then take it seriously. With housing already availabe there even if its a distance from the city theres another plus. Columbus may not fit all your needs the distance from your family, but nothing right now is more important than a steady paycheck. I think your family in Pensecola would understand or should. Your young and your area is facing very difficult times that I fear could be long term. You have to support youself and its not happening in Pensecola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.