Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,267,193 times

Advertisements

Interesting perspectives in this thread.

The only thing I'll add is that nice people from the south tend to think well of nice people from the north. Who cares what a-holes think from anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:49 PM

101 posts, read 226,392 times
My uncle was ask by a man moving to the south from Maine what kind of people are around here? My uncle ask him what kind of people did he find in Maine? The man responded a bunch of SOB's. My uncle stated that was what he would find here too. Lesson being you will find exactly what you go looking for. So put forth your best foot and so will we.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,676,206 times
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but usually when I run into Northern transplants, they are generally extremely friendly, polite, and cheerful. Those are the kind of people I want in my town.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,302 times
I notice it's a bunch of yankees answering your question which was obviously not posed to them. That pretty much sums up the problem. We are polite but NO we don't like yankees coming down here then trying to tell us "well that's how we do it up north" you don't want to live in the south you want to transform the south into the same mess you made up north and are now running from. Just stay up there and sleep in the bed you made.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,302 times
You are being polite. But not honest. Northerners are pushy, rude, know-it-alls, they are not content to move here and join in, they want to run the show. Change liquor laws, change lottery laws, take guns, look at what they have done in Lenoir City. They are here to impose their will. They have also brought their crime rate, and rude driving habits with them. As soon as they get here they want us to move out of the way so they can take over. The only thing worse than a yankee is a yankee babyboomer.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
To all Yankees/Northerners I'm a native East TN multigenerational Knoxvillian. I'm as local as you can get and from reading these posts thought I'd give you an idea of our perspective toward you. Anyone not from the south is a Yankee whether your Californian or from Maine. It is a term the whole south rural or not use. We are a people with a strong sense of place in other words majority of southerners live happily their whole lives in their home town and the ones like a couple of my cousins one just lived in Franklin and the other Michigan got homesick and came back. I have an uncle and his wife in Chattanooga and a cousin their niece too not child live there the rest of us 8 cousins our parents grandparents great grandparents you name it all live in knoxville. In the south the culture is to be mistrusting of Yankees stims back from the war so much devastation happened after it left the south and the people poor and not all worse afterwards extreme poverty for decades only the past 50 years has the south risen in prosperity it maybe something you do not understand weren't raised here but it is something that is felt to this day not as strong as 100 years ago. We are proud of our heritage our accents and no one says I wished slavery still exsisted. Most of us didn't have ancestors with slaves my people were yeoman farmers. We are nice and sweet and yes you'll find people with a fake sweetness as we say sloppin sugar. And not all of us are fake I'm not but you just have to recognise it if its something drives you up the wall then the south may not be the place for you cause it ain't ever going to change. But if u accept it and adjust you'll be fine we are a different culture we talk your ear off and the friendliness is what makes us special. Most people aren't racists that has been with older generations but younger ones don't feel that way you'll always find racism all over this country but when you come here and are respectful and not treat us beneath you and show interest in us and one thing that is super offensive don't blow your horn like you do up north when just a second isn't enough we don't do that here if someone in front of you is stalling forever several seconds when it's clearly open is understandable. When someone blows a horn at me for not going fast enough I slow down to a snail's pace that's our defiance to this rudeness. We all do that. And never say this is better up north letting us know it's better up north cause we feel if they don't like it move back. People from real rural are suspicious of EVERYBODY even other southerners so don't worry about that I've been in places they look at me like the Darlins from Andy Griffith show Lol. As long as your nice and open southerners will be kind and embrace you and help you accelemate and help you. Knoxville is very conservative town and you'll get invited to peoples churhes and that is normal. If you have any questions feel free to ask parts of town good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.