Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,426 times

Advertisements

We love visiting TN. Everyone is friendly, the music is great, the Smoke Mountains are beautiful. We are from NY. Some people have actually called us "Yankees." I thought that was only something people said during the Civil War so I found it funny, but just wondering if there is any general opinion of people from the North. Would we have any issues if we bought a cabin (you can tell where my husband is from when he starts talking but most people have no idea where I am from by voice alone :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
We love visiting TN. Everyone is friendly, the music is great, the Smoke Mountains are beautiful. We are from NY. Some people have actually called us "Yankees." I thought that was only something people said during the Civil War so I found it funny, but just wondering if there is any general opinion of people from the North. Would we have any issues if we bought a cabin (you can tell where my husband is from when he starts talking but most people have no idea where I am from by voice alone :O)
As you noticed, people are friendly to you. That's your answer.

Further, if you are buying a cabin around a bunch of tourists, the chances are very good that you'll run into people from all over.

But even over here in Knoxville, us Yankees do just fine. There are a lot of us on this forum.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 PM

374 posts, read 945,472 times
Default Honey,

don't think anything about us Southerners calling you Yankees, it's not meant to be offensive or derogatory - unless it's immediately preceded by "dam*" Yankee. You may also be a bit defensive if someone smiles and says, "bless your heart, you're a Yankee"

Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Just tell folks that you were born in the north but you tried to get home as fast as you could.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times
There are plenty of us that do not make assumptions based on your accent. Many of my good friends are northern transplants.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I don't think much about northerners one way or another.
Once you're down here, you're a Texan.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM

29 posts, read 56,061 times
Default Southern vs. Northern

If you are talking about Knoxville, it is not a good place to form an opinion of how Southerners feel about Yankees. The reason being that Knoxville is not a true southern city. There are so many people here from so many other places that there is not a dominant "southern" culture. People have come here to work at the University, TVA, Oak Ridge, and a dozen other places that have their national headquarters here.

If you want to see true "southern" culture you have to go outside of Knoxville where you will find a modified Appalachian culture although you can still find places that are true "Appalachian."

For the most part the people of Knoxville are friendly and tend to treat all, regarless of origin, in a friendly way as long as you don't come in and start telling them, "That isn't the way we do it up......" That is one sure way to get into trouble.

If you do feel uncomfortable about your roots, I can arrange for a "Yankee Pardon" for you to show people you really do regret the unfortunate circumstances of your birth.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevridge View Post
If you are talking about Knoxville, it is not a good place to form an opinion of how Southerners feel about Yankees. The reason being that Knoxville is not a true southern city. There are so many people here from so many other places that there is not a dominant "southern" culture. People have come here to work at the University, TVA, Oak Ridge, and a dozen other places that have their national headquarters here.

If you want to see true "southern" culture you have to go outside of Knoxville where you will find a modified Appalachian culture although you can still find places that are true "Appalachian."

For the most part the people of Knoxville are friendly and tend to treat all, regarless of origin, in a friendly way as long as you don't come in and start telling them, "That isn't the way we do it up......" That is one sure way to get into trouble.

If you do feel uncomfortable about your roots, I can arrange for a "Yankee Pardon" for you to show people you really do regret the unfortunate circumstances of your birth.
Very good point. The best way to answer that question would be to go to Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama, to name a few "southern states," or even West Tennessee, which would probably have similar views.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post

I have heard this question asked over and over. Some people in a northern state have actually called me a hillbillie, redneck, asked if I wore shoes and had indoor plumbing. If I were to move north, would I have an issue?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM

199 posts, read 521,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have heard this question asked over and over. Some people in a northern state have actually called me a hillbillie, redneck, asked if I wore shoes and had indoor plumbing. If I were to move north, would I have an issue?
As a southerner who moved north, I can say you wouldn't as long as you didn't try to push your way of life on anyone and "assimilated" to theirs the best you could.

Same thing as if a northerner moves south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.