Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM

66 posts, read 286,777 times

Advertisements

california
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
More Western, though geographically closer to the Midwest. The Front Range of the Rockies literally slams down onto the plains immediately west of Denver, and between Denver and the Kansas border, quite a shift occurs. On one cross-country drive, I overnighted in Goodland, KS, right over the border in Kansas. Wow. Another world.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
More Western, though geographically closer to the Midwest. The Front Range of the Rockies literally slams down onto the plains immediately west of Denver, and between Denver and the Kansas border, quite a shift occurs. On one cross-country drive, I overnighted in Goodland, KS, right over the border in Kansas. Wow. Another world.
The only real difference between Goodland, Colby, et al Kansas, and Burlington, Limon, et al Colorado, is the amount of "Jesus is going to GET YOU if _______" signs (more on the KS side -- otherwise the same people/landscape MOL).

Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
It used to be more midwest but as of the last 20 years there has been an increasingly pervasive california influence in colorado, as many who have moved out of state have set up new digs there.

It really is its own culture for the most part though, its got a distinct western vibe
The same trend is happening in Kansas City, particularly Johnson County (suburban area) is becoming much more culturally alligned with California than the Midwest. This trend is also fairly recent, within the past 15-20 years. I think it definitely has to do with the high percentage of transplants from the Southwest and California. They've even brought their builders that have littered the landscape with shoddy stuccoed houses as well. Truly "out of place" in humid eastern Kansas.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
I once got off a transcontinental Amtrak train in Dodge City, KS,and stayed for a night.

I really shouldn't have; talk about being 20 years behind the times...

Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
I was driving around Denver and it immediately made me think of San Jose or Sacramento. No Midwestern city every has.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The same trend is happening in Kansas City, particularly Johnson County (suburban area) is becoming much more culturally alligned with California than the Midwest.

They've even brought their builders that have littered the landscape with shoddy stuccoed houses as well. Truly "out of place" in humid eastern Kansas.
Stucco houses look cool, because they look more "monolithic," but less cool than brick or stone. However, I agree, if they don't stand up well in the PNW, then the rigors of the Midwestern plains might be even worse.

Correction, they don't bring their builders. Local builders simply learn how to detail those homes with that kind of exterior cladding, just as they did in the PNW.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Quote:
The Front Range of the Rockies literally slams down onto the plains immediately west of Denver
Right - in a strictly geological sense, Denver is part of the Great Plains, which many categorize as being "the Midwest." The plains themselves don't actually come to a geologic end until the elevation rises in the form of the Rocky Mountains.

Since Denver sits on the plain rather than in the Rockies, it can be seen as both the final frontier of the Midwest and the gateway to the intermountain west. Denver is "the mile-high city" not because it is located in the hills, but because the Great Plains tilt gently downward as you travel east, slowly losing over 4,000 feet by the time you reach Omaha.

In terms of road distance, Denver is almost the same distance from Omaha as it is to Salt Lake City (535 miles). But it is closer to a wider range of Midwestern cities (Kansas City, Wichita, Des Moines, even St. Louis and Chicago) than it is to western cities like Portland or Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I once got off a transcontinental Amtrak train in Dodge City, KS,and stayed for a night.

I really shouldn't have; talk about being 20 years behind the times...
There's a reason for the expression "gettin' out of Dodge..."

Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Stucco houses look cool, because they look more "monolithic," but less cool than brick or stone. However, I agree, if they don't stand up well in the PNW, then the rigors of the Midwestern plains might be even worse.

Correction, they don't bring their builders. Local builders simply learn how to detail those homes with that kind of exterior cladding, just as they did in the PNW.
The deal with the stuccoed exteriors is that they don't hold up at all in a moist climate with large temperature variations (lots of freeze/thaw cycles). When I lived in the Kansas City metro area I saw these stucco houses develop significant cracks after only 10-15 years. Not a good choice at all for the local climate, but I'm sure the Sunbelt transplants preferred those houses over the older housing stock that was more alligned toward Midwest building materials and architectural styles. You even find houses with red tiled roofs, definitely a southwest influence, and Country Club Plaza has this as well.

"Local builders simply learn how to detail those homes with that kind of exterior cladding, just as they did in the PNW"

I heard from some source that Kansas City does not build much in the way of brick housing anymore due to the fact that it doesn't have the foundry or industrial capacity to produce locally sourced materials. It seems like regional differences still exist in terms of preferences for certain building materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.