Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do natural disasters matter?
yes 46 58.23%
no 33 41.77%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,145,087 times

Advertisements

The most common stat quoted concerning your odds of being killed by a tornado is 1 in 2 million, but the lowest I've seen is 1 in 60,000.
Compare this to the odds of you being killed by suicide is 1 in 121; by car accident is 1 in 100; falling is 1 in 246; by electrocution is 1 in 5,000.

So, unless you never intend to kill yourself, ride in a car, ever use lights or appliances, or get up, you're safer living in tornado alley.

(By the way, despite all statistics being made up on the spot 81.7% of the time, the above odds come from National Center for Health Statistics, CDC; American Cancer Society; National Safety Council; International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies; World Health Organization; USGS; Clark Chapman, SwRI)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,586,214 times
I fortunately live in an area where all natural disasters are uncommon - too far inland to be affected by hurricanes, a little too far south to be really affected by blizzards. I have felt an earthquake though - a 2.something in 1985. No floods, I think we have had a tornado but a F1 and no one gets hurt and nothing really gets destroyed.

All that being said...this is my ranking from "most comfortable" disaster to least, LOL. I probably wouldn't want to live somewhere with a large threat of hurricanes, but that's not the reason I'd not want to live there.

1) blizzard
2) tornado
3) earthquake
4) flood
5) hurricane

Old 06-25-2010, 01:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,093 times
The only disaster that seems to re-occur in the same places causing significant economic damages and/or discomfort with regularity are hurricaines.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM

60 posts, read 46,438 times
I think it is more a matter of are you willing to deal with the possibility of a natural disaster...

Here in California, we all know there is a chance of an earthquake, although they don't happen often. That is not what is at the forefront of most peoples decision to live here.

According to the poll choices, it is a simple yes or no to "do they matter". Of course they matter, but does someone want to deal with the small risk they entail? In my case.... yes

Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,238,620 times
I checked 'yes' but only because of certain disasters.

Earthquake threats wouldn't stop me from returning to California. In fact, it's a threat for the Northwest, too, but "that" isn't why I wish to leave here.

If I hit the lottery I would still want a vacation home in New Orleans. (Of course, I'd be careful of WHERE in the city I'd pick one!)

But I would NOT want to live in tornado country, or anywhere that has severe snow-ice storms! I can't even handle the ones we get here.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:02 PM

902 posts, read 2,776,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I fortunately live in an area where all natural disasters are uncommon - too far inland to be affected by hurricanes, a little too far south to be really affected by blizzards. I have felt an earthquake though - a 2.something in 1985. No floods, I think we have had a tornado but a F1 and no one gets hurt and nothing really gets destroyed.

All that being said...this is my ranking from "most comfortable" disaster to least, LOL. I probably wouldn't want to live somewhere with a large threat of hurricanes, but that's not the reason I'd not want to live there.

1) blizzard
2) tornado
3) earthquake
4) flood
5) hurricane
Sorry but there is NO way that you felt an earthquake if it was only a 2. something. That is too insignificant to be felt on the surface.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:14 PM

15,961 posts, read 20,920,058 times
I've been through a couple of hurricanes, seen up close and personal the devastation from straight line winds and tornadoes, and been mildly shaken up by a small earthquake or two. I don't have a crazy fear of natural disasters but I do know firsthand the huge inconveniences they can cause, even if they don't result in a major loss of life.
Living without power or running water for weeks on end is no fun, so when I researched my move I did at least pay attention to what types of natural disasters different areas were prone to.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,063,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
I get what you are saying, but it is impossible for the % to be 0 as people (not many) do die every year and quite a few homes are destroyed each year in tornado alley. So there technically has to be a % chance, albeit VERY very small.
Well right, it's not a flat out ZERO percent.

It's definitely there, but it's a fraction of one percent. Statistically insignificant is probably the best term.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 PM

635 posts, read 1,534,976 times
I'd take California and the SoCoast any day. Earthquakes, fires, mudslides, 160mph Santa Anas and all .

Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,805,660 times
many of our nation's greatest cities are susceptible to some level of some sort of natural disaster

people can keep telling themselves that they're "more safe" in one city, but trust me, if mother nature wants you, she'll find you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.