Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I see myself ultimately living in a dense, walkable city, preferably where I don't need a car, and those kinds of cities overwhelmingly tend to be in the Northern half of the country. The weather is just secondary to me. I like the South/Southwest well enough, and love some particular areas, but it's just not my cup of tea as far as living goes. Maybe New Orleans would be an exception just because I find it so very different from any other city in the US and I imagine living there would be a unique experience.
I'm the same way....N.O. is the only Southern city I'd consider living for any amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm the same way....N.O. is the only Southern city I'd consider living for any amount of time.
Why New Orleans?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
This isn't meant to be rude, but seriously. On forums such as this I always hear about Northerners dying to move from their homes in Michigan, New Jersey, and New York, as well as Southerners complaining about their towns and cities getting swamped with implants. There appears to be a pattern here. It just seems everyone always wants to move to the South. Can the South sustain this many people moving in?
The only city south of Minneapolis that is worth considering is Toronto.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting. I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and my family moved to South Carolina(I was a child). It was "okay" but it wasn't that great of a place to live. The culture, everything else, it was different. The thing is, my father only moved us there because he got a job there. He regrets it today. I went back to South Carolina to visit, and I wasn't too thrilled about it.
I like areas like Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Those are nice areas. I hear that Columbia is a fairly nice city. Lots of history and I love historical cities.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Big Ten football fans don't want to move south. They fear the south.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
As a Minnesota resident, most of the people I know (and I'm not saying I know enough to write a study...) are not open to change and not willing to try new things, especially moving. Most are very content where they are at (they grew up in the city they live in now and their kids will likely do the same), and I hear no city in the South as being a popular city to move to. If anything, it's moving around the Midwest.

Probably the only attractable thing for the Minnesota residents (I know) about the South is the weather, not the culture, entertainment, sports... Not to say that Minnesota is superior or the South inferior, just that it's different.
That reminds me of my history lessons in high school that in the early pioneer days people migrated east to west along roughly the same latitude (i.e., New York to Michigan, North Carolina to Tennessee, etc.).

Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I anticipate when I become old and feeble I will need to move to the south

Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,535 times
I spent 44 years in Michigan. Loved it. I miss my state and town. However..i went were the job was. Which happened to be in the south. There has been benefits like no snow, and cheaper house price, but I feel we have more to gain by going back north then we do staying . Job is still here and until I can be gainfully employed else where we make the most of it here. Enjoy it while we can, and save to go back home again someday.

i do know many from the North east retire in NC, SC, GA, and Florida due to the weather and cost of living makes it easier to afford more. it makes sense. Problem can be..if you relocate too many of Northner's (like were i am at now) into an area, tension arises (change is hard on natives ) and while some enjoy the changes it brings, they bring some of the not so grande stuff with them also.

The stuff I enjoy about the south is fading fast and it is sad because you don't have too any farmlands and small towns left in america.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM

287 posts, read 340,606 times
No, I bet plenty of southerners are jealous of Philadelphia now.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:25 PM

97 posts, read 202,727 times
i'm from nj going to wi soon here so no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.