Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times

Advertisements

Actually I wonder how many people who move away from where they are born in general return years later? I wouldn't be suprised if it is at least a quarter if not more.(Or at least closer to where they are from)

A lot of times its people starting their career go away for their first job and later on return when they got more experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I'm from NJ and have no interest in ever moving south, although there are some parts of the south that I would like to visit on vacation for the scenery and/or history.

When it comes time to retire, I will probably go north to upstate New York.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of people who do want to move South because they like it, but I think for the most part people from the Northern areas move for a better life, one with a job, and a good way to support themselves.

You go where the job takes you. Or you go where the jobs are at. And right now that's in Southern states like Texas & North Carolina.

While there are great and growing job markets (TX in general) it is not as if there is a shortage of jobs in the NE, actually many metros are on par or better in terms of unemployment when compared to the growing metros. Also many of the jobs people are moving too are not high end, yes good middle class white collar or actually many blue collar construction. But these are not exactely barn burning salaries, I really think this perspective is important. I can make more money and have the lifestyle I desire right where I am, why would I move? The jobs in the sunbelt honestly to this Yankee just frankly aren't that desirable, but again this is different for every person and the growth in some of these sunbelt areas is pretty amazing.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 AM

126 posts, read 322,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Actually I wonder how many people who move away from where they are born in general return years later? I wouldn't be suprised if it is at least a quarter if not more.(Or at least closer to where they are from)

A lot of times its people starting their career go away for their first job and later on return when they got more experience.

This is a good point. I am an Alabama girl. When I was in my "formative years" (right after grad school...LOL) I decided to move away to Virginia. I have developed good skills here and I have made life long friends, I have also seen a lot. I have been in close proximity to places like Boston and NYC (for trips)....it has been great!

But this isn't the place I want to settle down in, nor is it the place I want to meet my husband. This part of Virginia, at least around the urban areas, has way too many people from NY and other areas etc.....Nothing wrong with that, but it is not where I want to settle down. If I meet a white collar guy here, he is most likely to be from further North of here, and I DO NOT want to end up further North when it is time to marry, have kids...etc....

Now I have my eyes back on the Deep South..preferably Sweet Home Alabama.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
I wouldn't say that "everybody" is wanting to move down south, but a pretty fair lot are. Mainly because of the south's now booming manufacturing, services and metros like Dallas/Atlanta/Charlotte, plus that these states have lower taxes and a friendlier business environment makes it more preferable.

But personally, I see myself living in the Deep South within 10 years anyway.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I wouldn't say that "everybody" is wanting to move down south, but a pretty fair lot are. Mainly because of the south's now booming manufacturing, services and metros like Dallas/Atlanta/Charlotte, plus that these states have lower taxes and a friendlier business environment makes it more preferable.

But personally, I see myself living in the Deep South within 10 years anyway.
I would say maybe 10% of people actually think about moving south (more than just words coming out of their mouth). I only know of 3 people between high school, college and living in Chicago (15 years total) that actually moved down south. Two to Texas and one to Florida.

I think people see and talk to those who didn't like the north, or moved for a job, and assume that must be the normal train of thought up here. They're talking to those who actually wanted to leave enough that they planned it out and went. They don't see the 120 million others who are living their lives up here and not sitting around thinking of leaving.

It's like talking to a group of gay people about their thoughts on gay marriage - then going back and giving the results that 90% of people want to legalize gay marriage.

There's a DEFINITE trend of moving to the south and west - but people who are on the receiving end of it tend to think it's a much larger issue up here than it is. I would say areas like Cleveland and Detroit that are having a visibly noticible trend of migration feel it more than anyone else.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:16 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
My liberal New England sensibilities would not match the Southern lifestyle. The west coast/Pacific Northwest absolutely. Very few people from here have every considered the South as part of their life's journey.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
eh, no thanks, soon as I was of age to decide I got OUT of the south. Do not plan on returning except to visit my parents in Florida. extremely bad fit for me. FL was bad enough, couldn't imagine being stuck in Alabama/Mississippi/Arkansas

Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 PM

380 posts, read 691,827 times
I think it's moreso about change and resisting monotony. We live in a country with lots of options, so if one has grown up in a bad climate, it's natural that that individual may want to experience living elsewhere.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
My liberal New England sensibilities would not match the Southern lifestyle. The west coast/Pacific Northwest absolutely. Very few people from here have every considered the South as part of their life's journey.
The Great Lakes region is pretty liberal too- but you can already expect that from Obama's home city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.