U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Morgantown, WV
989 posts, read 1,930,652 times
Reputation: 975

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Morgantown doesn't have anything...

Athens is a wet campus with an atmosphere unparalleled by any other university town I've been to, and I've been to at least one in every state east of the Mississippi.
Man, I really have to disagree with that one. Athens has one thing going for it, as you've mentioned..and that's crazy drunken college crapshoot parties. Other than that, I'd actually say Athens is completely boring with nothing to do...especially if you're not a partier...because Athens itself has nothing to add culturally or scenically. Athens GA = a great college town, Athens OH = just alright.

Morgantown is a great example of a traditional college town that's not attatched to a city or any other aspect that could detract from the overall college atmosphere...the university is literally spread throughout the entire area and there's nothing to do BUT involve yourself with WVU. Really, it's not called "The University City" for nothing...WVU is huge and the pride of West Virginia, the Mountaineers are all that the state really has so you do the math. Aside from all the standard college crap, there's hike and bike trails, white water rafting, Cheat Lake for boating and whatnot, mountains everywhere for skiing and sight seeing...I know that Athens isn't "flatland Ohio", but it's nowhere near the level of Morgantown/WV for outdoor activities...and it's always in the top 3 for "best party school", "most drunken school", or whatever so that basically matches or even bests Athens at the one thing that it supposedly has more of. The town itself has a surprising amount of restaurants and ammenities, so I really don't know how anybody could call it "boring"...especially since it has other options so that you're not limited to drinking yourself to death for entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,372 posts, read 4,450,720 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Man, I really have to disagree with that one. Athens has one thing going for it, as you've mentioned..and that's crazy drunken college crapshoot parties. Other than that, I'd actually say Athens is completely boring with nothing to do...especially if you're not a partier...because Athens itself has nothing to add culturally or scenically. Athens GA = a great college town, Athens OH = just alright.

Morgantown is a great example of a traditional college town that's not attatched to a city or any other aspect that could detract from the overall college atmosphere...the university is literally spread throughout the entire area and there's nothing to do BUT involve yourself with WVU. Really, it's not called "The University City" for nothing...WVU is huge and the pride of West Virginia, the Mountaineers are all that the state really has so you do the math. Aside from all the standard college crap, there's hike and bike trails, white water rafting, Cheat Lake for boating and whatnot, mountains everywhere for skiing and sight seeing...I know that Athens isn't "flatland Ohio", but it's nowhere near the level of Morgantown/WV for outdoor activities...and it's always in the top 3 for "best party school", "most drunken school", or whatever so that basically matches or even bests Athens at the one thing that it supposedly has more of. The town itself has a surprising amount of restaurants and ammenities, so I really don't know how anybody could call it "boring"...especially since it has other options so that you're not limited to drinking yourself to death for entertainment.
Just because OU parties doesn't mean the surrounding community doesn't have anything. It's surprisingly diverse with LOADS of recreational opportunities. There's lots of live music ALL throughout the warm months, nearly every day, in fact. You're surrounded by premium hiking land. You've got LOADS of restaurants.

Outdoor activities aren't everyones' cup of tea either, so I could just as easily say that Morgantown is of the same level that you make Athens out to be, only with more dull and boring students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 AM
 
Location: 304
5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Just because OU parties doesn't mean the surrounding community doesn't have anything. It's surprisingly diverse with LOADS of recreational opportunities. There's lots of live music ALL throughout the warm months, nearly every day, in fact. You're surrounded by premium hiking land. You've got LOADS of restaurants.

Outdoor activities aren't everyones' cup of tea either, so I could just as easily say that Morgantown is of the same level that you make Athens out to be, only with more dull and boring students.
Did You attend Ohio??? or do you live there, because that is the only reason I'd choose Athens Ohio over Morgantown---LOL

Does Athens have a PRT, a top 10 rural hospital in the country, a lake, anything???

Not to mention it is home to Mylum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
33 posts, read 81,395 times
Reputation: 26
NOBODY'S mentioned Knoxville, TN yet?

I forgot where I read it at, but some travel writer wrote that Knoxville is "Austin without all the hype". Very true. Beautiful city, UT is an awesome college, never a dull moment around town.

For that matter, you could pick just about any SEC school. Nashville is awesome, Gainesville is great, Oxford is absolutely gorgeous, Athens is awesome, Columbia is fun, Lexington is fun, Tuscaloosa is amazing, Auburn is awesome and Baton Rouge blows my mind. The only SEC school towns I didn't like were Fayetteville and Starkville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,372 posts, read 4,450,720 times
Reputation: 1136
Lexington isn't fun, we have no nightlife, it's a pure Greek school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,372 posts, read 4,450,720 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post


Did You attend Ohio??? or do you live there, because that is the only reason I'd choose Athens Ohio over Morgantown---LOL

Does Athens have a PRT, a top 10 rural hospital in the country, a lake, anything???

Not to mention it is home to Mylum
No, I did not attend, nor live there, but go yearly for fests and to visit friends.

I have to ask though... What is a PRT (Power retractable top? I didn't know we were comparing Miatas)? Also, who needs a top 10 rural hospital? I never planned on getting into any sort of dire medical circumstances as a college student, and don't see that happening very often. That's for old people :P

Mylum? What?

Also, Athens has no large lake, however a short drive to Dow lake, but a great river, brick paved streets, a nightlife that puts most cities under 500k to shame with a smaller population than some outer ring major city suburbs.

It is also nestled near Wayne National forest and touches Strouds Run State Park.

Also, UNLIKE Morgantown (and Huntington's Marshall), it doesn't smell like sewage.

Edit: Just looked up PRT, says personalized rapid transit, and no, Athens doesn't have it. The campus is so dense and well planned that you can literally walk EVERYWHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,686,021 times
Reputation: 6233
I don't know if it's the worst but I ain't a fan of College Park, MD. Luckily we're a short Metro ride from DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 AM
 
Location: 304
5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
No, I did not attend, nor live there, but go yearly for fests and to visit friends.

I have to ask though... What is a PRT (Power retractable top? I didn't know we were comparing Miatas)? Also, who needs a top 10 rural hospital? I never planned on getting into any sort of dire medical circumstances as a college student, and don't see that happening very often. That's for old people :P

Mylum? What?

Also, Athens has no large lake, however a short drive to Dow lake, but a great river, brick paved streets, a nightlife that puts most cities under 500k to shame with a smaller population than some outer ring major city suburbs.

It is also nestled near Wayne National forest and touches Strouds Run State Park.

Also, UNLIKE Morgantown (and Huntington's Marshall), it doesn't smell like sewage.

Edit: Just looked up PRT, says personalized rapid transit, and no, Athens doesn't have it. The campus is so dense and well planned that you can literally walk EVERYWHERE.
I have never in my life smelt sewage in morgantown, but yes in huntington

Morgantown has High Street--- night clubs, resturants, shopping, bookstores, cafes---you name it---they got it

There is a bike trail that runs for miles along the river, and the great outdoors of WV is within mins.

Ohio doesn't have a PRT because WVU is that much bigger and needs a way to transport its students across campus--- WVU Downtown campus---and WVU Evansdale Campus

Ohio sports are not nearly as good, so Athens doesn't have the tailgate football/basketball atmosphere. And Morgantown is a prime example of how it's done right

And it is good to have one of the nations best hospitals

with the new Cancer research center right on the grounds at the hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,340 posts, read 14,097,157 times
Reputation: 5958
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I have to ask though... What is a PRT (Power retractable top? I didn't know we were comparing Miatas)? Also, who needs a top 10 rural hospital? I never planned on getting into any sort of dire medical circumstances as a college student, and don't see that happening very often. That's for old people :P
If you have to ask about WVU's PRT, you are in no way qualified to discuss any topic related to WVU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 AM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,372 posts, read 4,450,720 times
Reputation: 1136
You could've said "those silly little trains they use to transport people around campus because they didn't build it centrally and plan it properly in order to make everything rapidly accessible".

Ohio athletics are pretty good, in fact, seeing plenty of NCAA tournaments and being a conference leader. WVU is highly inconsistent and if it weren't for last year's basketball team you probably wouldn't have even brought that up. Then again, every team sucked last year because Duke won it all, and Duke should never be allowed to win it all.

As for distance to the great outdoors... Same as OU

WVU's only blessing is that it's in the Big East, then again with this conference rearrangement it's expected to be left straggling.

WVU only had 4,000 more undergraduates enrolled than OU, so the size isn't that big of a difference considering they both qualify as LARGE universities.

Morgantown also only has 10,000 more people than Athens, so you'd think they could've planned and managed a walkable, attractive campus... Yet like Huntington, Charleston, and the rest of WV's cities, it's laid out horribly and really has nothing to hold population. Just another coal town, except with a school.

US News & World Report didn't even rank WVU in the 1st tier, instead dropping them to 3rd tier, right above schools like Wayne State University and Madonna University in downtown Detroit, with an acceptance rate of 87% who WOULDN'T love WVU? However, OU ranks 117th among all schools in the USA. Also, you guys don't have much of an endowment... Do you not produce degrees that earn people money or leave people that bitter and miserable about their college experience? Nah, I'm just being an ass, but I've never met a WVU student who actually seemed happy or had something good to say about their school other than the athletics.

When it comes down to it though, you can take your PRT and ride it anywhere, but anywhere it takes you won't have the atmosphere, quality academics, passionate, consistent athletics, night life, quality planning, accessibility, upkeep, and beauty of Athens.

Athens happens:







And you KNOW WVU doesn't party like this:

Last edited by UKUKUK; 06-08-2010 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top