U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 AM

989 posts, read 1,932,006 times

Advertisements

About the realignment, WVU will will end up in the ACC or even SEC if the Big East folds...small chance that they could go Big 10 to follow Pitt. Morgantown's metro area is actually up to about 115K people, townies range about 30-35k and growing, students push the overall figure up to about 70-75k people. And I don't need pictures, I have an incredibly cheezy video...just watch it on mute:

YouTube - Morgantown, West Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,453,812 times
WVU won't go to the SEC, the SEC will pick up Florida schools and maybe some Big 12 stragglers, more Tennessee and GA schools (GA tech) and SC schools (Clemson) are FAR more likely. This realignment is all about money.

Also, if GA Tech leaves the ACC, it'll be weakened pretty heavily. The ACC doesn't show very much desire to expand but the SEC will in order to retain prominence and not fall under the other forming super-conferences.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 AM

434 posts, read 1,013,165 times
From my personal experience....

Among the best:
Athens, Ohio (Ohio Univ.)
Berkeley, California (Univ. of California-Berkeley)
Bloomington, Indiana (Indiana Univ.)
Palo Alto, California (Stanford Univ.)

Among the worst:
DeKalb, Illinois (Northern Illinois Univ.)

Old 06-08-2010, 02:07 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,514,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
WVU won't go to the SEC, the SEC will pick up Florida schools and maybe some Big 12 stragglers, more Tennessee and GA schools (GA tech) and SC schools (Clemson) are FAR more likely. This realignment is all about money.

Also, if GA Tech leaves the ACC, it'll be weakened pretty heavily. The ACC doesn't show very much desire to expand but the SEC will in order to retain prominence and not fall under the other forming super-conferences.
Yea, I wouldn't be surprised to see Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech and, Clemson possibly get scooped up by the SEC. Clemson is my alma mater and I would love to see us make it over to the SEC.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM

598 posts, read 1,522,461 times
Clearly many of you haven't been to Chapel Hill, NC.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:41 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,514,551 times
^^ I have...it's a beautiful area!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 PM

53 posts, read 121,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Man, I really have to disagree with that one. Athens has one thing going for it, as you've mentioned..and that's crazy drunken college crapshoot parties. Other than that, I'd actually say Athens is completely boring with nothing to do...especially if you're not a partier...because Athens itself has nothing to add culturally or scenically. Athens GA = a great college town, Athens OH = just alright.

Morgantown is a great example of a traditional college town that's not attatched to a city or any other aspect that could detract from the overall college atmosphere...the university is literally spread throughout the entire area and there's nothing to do BUT involve yourself with WVU. Really, it's not called "The University City" for nothing...WVU is huge and the pride of West Virginia, the Mountaineers are all that the state really has so you do the math. Aside from all the standard college crap, there's hike and bike trails, white water rafting, Cheat Lake for boating and whatnot, mountains everywhere for skiing and sight seeing...I know that Athens isn't "flatland Ohio", but it's nowhere near the level of Morgantown/WV for outdoor activities...and it's always in the top 3 for "best party school", "most drunken school", or whatever so that basically matches or even bests Athens at the one thing that it supposedly has more of. The town itself has a surprising amount of restaurants and ammenities, so I really don't know how anybody could call it "boring"...especially since it has other options so that you're not limited to drinking yourself to death for entertainment.
Athens, Ohio has a ton of outdoor activities. I love hiking, camping in that area and going mountain biking. Not scenic? Have you been there? Aside from that, Athens is a great college town. Athens, Ohio, Athens GA, Ann Arbor, Madison, Palo Alto are my favorite.

But in Athens Ohio area the Hocking Hills State parks are breathtaking

And Ohio isn't all "flatlands" which is the worst generalization I hear from people because it's so far from the truth. I laugh sometimes when I hear that.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,864,723 times
As much as I appriciate you all standing behind the beautiful, wonderful, charming town of Athens, Ohio-----I just can't put it above a small city with a 30,000 student, division 1, university

Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,453,812 times
Ohio University is division 1 too and ranks higher in academics as well as gave many far more legendary schools a run for their money in the NCAA tournament this year.

Again, WVU is a tier 3 university, which, to employers means a joke.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 PM

128 posts, read 263,698 times
I haven't seen Newark, Delaware mentioned but I think it's a quintissential college town -- beautiful campus, small town, Main Street with the restaurants, bars, coffee houses, etc. Could use a couple more bookstores...

Madison Wisconsin, Chapel Hill NC, Charlotesville VA, and Oxford MS are nice in their own ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or