U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times

Advertisements

Chapel Hill, NC is a great college town though I am no fan of the University's sports teams.
It's a quintessential college town but is afforded the luxury of being part of the Research Triangle area along with Raleigh and Durham. So, essentially, while having its own identity as a college town you get all the benefits of having the nation's fastest growing metro at your doorstep, all the cultural offerings of the State Capital (Raleigh) and its sister city (Durham), and the high paying jobs in Research Triangle Park. You are also situated halfway, north to south, on the East Coast of the US and halfway, east to west, between the Appalachian Mountains and the Ocean.

Others that I have visited and really liked are Iowa City & Charlottesville, VA.

Some cities with major college presence that I do like but don't consider college towns because they are also state capitals are Raleigh, Austin and Madison. But, of the three, Madison comes close to being a college town because of its smaller size.

The worst college town I have ever visited was Lubbock Texas. Besides seeming completely desolate and isolated, it was pretty ugly and boring. I also heard that it had quite the gang/crime problem...though, to be fair, I didn't witness that. I was there for a weekend in September for a football game at Texas Tech.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 09-26-2010 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,712,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Of the ones I've been to:

BEST:
Austin, TX
Atlanta, GA (yes, you really can consider ATL a college town)
Nashville, TN
Bloomington, IN
New York, NY (it's not a college town, yet it's in many ways the ultimate college town)

DECENT:
Lexington, KY
Bowling Green, KY
Cincinnati, OH
Fort Worth, TX

WORST:
Knoxville, TN
Tuscaloosa, AL
Waco, TX
Washington, DC (the "snotty" vibe of it, really)
I know this is late, but Waco is not a college town.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I know this is late, but Waco is not a college town.
Did Baylor University move out of Waco??

Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,712,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Did Baylor University move out of Waco??
Oh....so the definition of a college town is a city with a university in it??? A few reasons why I don't believe Waco is a college town:

1. Baylor isn't normally associated with Waco. Many believe its in Dallas or Houston.

2. The city does NOT revolve around Baylor. I35 is pretty much a barrier between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or