U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfish View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fort Collins, CO on the "best list."
Ft. Collins has an awful traffic problem, and is kind of an outpost of Colorado. Nickname "Ft. Fun" leads one to believe not much studying is going on there. I agree with the person who says Boulder is over-rated, but it is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,067,956 times
New York, Columbus, Chicago. University of Dayton has new college housing that's nice.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 27,151 times
Ann Arbor, MI is a really great college town.

Lexington, KY - I won't call it the worst, but can't understand why a couple people listed it as one of the best...

Old 09-02-2007, 06:04 PM

112 posts, read 581,301 times
My favorite that has yet to be mentioned is Oxford, OH, home of Miami University. Beautiful campus with a self-contained small town, and is a lot of fun.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:33 AM

310 posts, read 1,164,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
College towns? Wouldn't live anywhere else!!!

I like Iowa City (University of Iowa), too, for some of the same reasons above, but again, you're driving to Cedar Rapids for a job.

its actually the complete opposite, more people work in Iowa City and live in Cedar Rapids than people who live in Iowa City and work in Cedar Rapids.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,648,606 times
Best: Boston (too many colleges to count -- the school year population seems like it must include at least half a million students).

Worst: Lake Charles, LA (McNeese State)

Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 AM

30,178 posts, read 67,314,530 times
Best: State College, PA (PSU)---I've totally fallen in love with this town. The downtown area has just about every ethnic eatery you could imagine and just oozes culture. It is an urban oasis surrounded by rural farms. I love every visit.

Ithaca, NY (Cornell, Ithaca College)---See my Ithaca Photo Tour just to get a grasp on how gorgeous this community is. There was a large emphasis placed upon bicycling, walking, and using mass transit as well, so traffic was quite minimal.

University City, Philadelphia (University of PA, Drexel, University of the Sciences)---This urban oasis adjacent to Center City offers students a great, safe urban atmosphere, unlike their unfortunate counterparts at Temple who can't just freely saunter off of campus to explore the city.

Worst: Wilkes-Barre, PA (King's, Wilkes, Upcoming Law School)---You know your city is pretty dull and boring when colleges offer students free shuttle rides out to the suburbs on the weekends to do their shopping. Crime continues to be an issue in this city, and students are afraid to leave campus at night. Considering there are 6,000 college students in this town of 40,000, it truly does not have that college town "vibe" to it. Even though King's and Wilkes are just blocks away, anchoring opposite ends of Center City, most students don't mingle, even though initiatives have been launched via bringing a new movie theater, Starbucks, and Barnes & Noble downtown to bridge the gap.

Scranton, PA (University of Scranton, Marywood, Johnson, Lackawanna, Upcoming Medical School)---Just like its sister city of Wilkes-Barre, Scranton does a God-awful job of courting its college students into its downtown. Even though Downtown Scranton is rebounding nicely as of late with a lot of new coffee houses, art galleries, boutiques, clubs, etc., students are still heading out to the suburbs at all costs. The residents of the city themselves also resent the college students because most of them didn't graduate from college themselves and hate the fact that the universities continue to expand and devour taxable properties.

Hackettstown, NJ (Centenary College)---Even though this town somehow managed to garner a spot on a recent "Best Places" list, I was less than impressed during my visit: Hackettstown Photo Tour The downtown was literally dead and had a lot of shabby-looking people loitering around, traffic congestion was wicked on one end of town, and the town was so quiet I wondered what, if anything, these college kids could do for fun besides head to nearby NYC to play on the weekends.

Mansfield, PA (Mansfield University)---I can't even describe how sorry I feel for students who attend this school. The town's biggest attraction seems to be a Wal-Mart, which obviously doesn't say very much. Nearby Wellsboro is cool with a cute downtown, but it is also a hot-spot for elderly tourists, who probably would clash with college students running amok. The town is very isolated---the next biggest "cities" are Williamsport, PA or Elmira, NY.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-08-2007 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Text Formatting

Old 12-08-2007, 05:15 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,287 times
State College and Ithaca are both beautiful, but too small and isolated. Mansfield sounds like Charleston, IL, but with mountains. Yes, it has a Wal-Mart. (Champaign, Urbana, and Savoy each have one - such a difficult choice to make. )

I'm still looking for options that top Ann Arbor, Evanston, and Madison. Walking around Ann Arbor on the night before Thanksgiving in the rain was really fun - NOT - but it shows my dedication and how much I miss the place.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:00 PM

537 posts, read 1,759,505 times
I grew up right next to Evanston so I love Northwestern. But I also think Madison is great too. Both have a lot to offer. Easy to get around with or without a car etc. Nice places to eat etc.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:48 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,765,930 times
I think any place where an outstanding school and a great city meet makes a good college town. These places come to mind:

New York (Columbia, NYU)
Chicago (U of Chi)
Houston (Rice)
Atlanta (Emory, Spelman, Morehouse)
Washington, D.C. (Howard)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or