U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 07:34 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,761,256 times

Advertisements

Best:

Columbus, MO
Northampton, MA
Flagstaff, AZ
Cambridge, MA

Never been to Ithaca, Athens, Boulder or Madison but have heard good things about them all.

So-so:

Lawrence, KS
Ames, IA
Lincoln, NE (depends how much you love college football...not a fan personally)
Tempe, AZ is not my idea of a good time, but I can see where it would be appealing to some.

Worst:

New Haven, CT
North Dartmouth, MA
Kearney, NE has to take the cake. About as isolated and boring as you can get.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,539,680 times
The usual names that come to mind for questions like this are Athens, Madison, Ann Arbor, Chapel Hill, and Austin. I like all of those towns. I dig Iowa City and Ft Collins, too.

One that hasn't come up (and that a lot of people might not agree with) is Columbia, SC. That town gets a bad rap sometimes, and the last few times I've visited, I had a blast. Also in SC, Charleston isn't a college town, per se, but does have a college right in the thick of things. Beautiful town. From all accounts, a great place to go to school.

Someone mentioned Chicago because of U of C. While I like Hyde Park (the neighborhood where U of C is) ok, I'd say the DePaul area has a more college-town feel. Evanston, IL is also a pretty solid college town.

Oxford, OH is a great little college town, in my opinion. Miami of OH is basically the quintessential college. If you look up "college" in a picturebook, there you have Miami of OH, and therefore Oxford.

I'm also partial to Boone, NC, home of Appalachian State U. I'm a homer in that regard, but I really do think it's an amazing place to go to school.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I won't name any names for my least favorite. Basically, though, any commuter campus is on my list. Giant parking lots? Very little on-campus housing? Hardly conducive to that college vibe.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 AM

30 posts, read 81,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Best: Tuscaloosa (University of Alabama)
Worst: Auburn (Auburn University)
Ha! Despite your football preference, you have to admit that Auburn as a town is WAY better than Tuscaloosa.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 AM

681 posts, read 2,773,483 times
I haven't been to too many college towns, but I have visited a few.

Best:
Iowa City, IA (naturally)
Madison, WI
Ft. Collins, CO

Some I think are majorly underrated:
Columbia, MO
East Lansing, MI

One I think is majorly overrated:
Boulder, CO

I like college towns, so I can't really say I have a "worst" candidate. Ames, IA isn't a bad college town, I think. But they really squander their potential and the college atmosphere feels really removed from the city's atmosphere.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,955,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad35801 View Post
Ha! Despite your football preference, you have to admit that Auburn as a town is WAY better than Tuscaloosa.
No. Will not admit that. Because it's not true. And I've invested major money in both towns!!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
Lubbock, Texas is the bast college town. Home of the Texas Tech Red Raiders, hot women, Texas Country music, Buddy Holly, the best bars in the world, and the best football team in the world.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 PM

297 posts, read 442,878 times
I have been to a lot of Big 10 schools: Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue. I've also seen Notre Dame and Rutgers.

I loved Iowa City, Iowa because the downtown was right next to the campus. After class, you can just walk across the street to get a bite to eat. I didn't really like Illinois because I didn't see any downtown near by, just a strip mall that you had to cross a highway to access. As you can see, I'm a fan of downtowns near college campuses. I also was confused to whether I was in Urbana or Champaign the whole time I was there. Madison was really nice but they were digging up the entire city when I was there so it's really hard to form an opinion when there's that much construction going on. I think it was too city-like for me; Iowa City is more low key than Madison but I like Iowa City better. New Brunswick, which is where Rutgers is, is more city-like too and I don't really like it because there are some neighborhoods surrounding the downtown that aren't the nicest. I've grown up here so I've always had a negative opinion of New Brunswick and although I've heard it's getting better, it's hard to shake. Piscataway is too suburban to me and doesn't seem like a college town at all.

For the Indiana schools, Purdue and Indiana, I liked Bloomington better than West Lafayette. Bloomington is so freakin' gorgeous and GREEN. The downtown is also right there. With West Lafayette, the campus is down this long, busy road from all the shops but the area is really nice. It's kind of like a pedestrian mall. There's also a bridge for just walkers and bikers that crosses into Lafayette which I thought was a nice place but there was barely anyone else walking around and a lot of places have gone out of business.

Minnesota reminded me of Wisconsin in that it was too city like for me. Right near the campus is the downtown area called "Dingytown" LOL which didn't compare to Iowa City's downtown.

For South Bend, I went there on Good Friday so Notre Dame's campus was pretty much empty. The campus was pretty but South Bend didn't seem like that special of a town.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,868,927 times
You guys have got it all wrong!!!

The best college town, not only in america but the world, is nestled down in the lush green mountains. The sound of John Denver music fills the air. The sight of swaying arms and celebration flood the streets aswell as burning couches. And not to mention it was voted America's best small city by several reviews, and is home to the biggest party school in the country.

Ladies and Gentlemen I proudly anounce the best college town in the U.S.--------Morgantown "touchdown city" West By God Virginia

The worst is blacksburg LOL

Old 06-05-2010, 12:15 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,455,616 times
Morgantown is a bore.

Athens, OH hands down.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:24 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,203,483 times
Happy Valley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or