Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 PM

217 posts, read 878,989 times

Advertisements

My daughter is attending West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV. It seems like a nice town to me. The college influence is quite evident. The city itself is surrounded by hills on all sides. Even some of city streets are steep. It is also close to the big city of Pittsburgh, PA, which brings me to my next city...Pittsburgh, PA. Lots of colleges there. Pittsburgh, like Morgantown, is surrounded by hills and is very steep in some parts.

Also in that same region is Waynesburg University, in Waynesburg, PA. The college itself is very pretty, but the town itself is drab and boring. It doesn't look like a college town at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM

17 posts, read 104,773 times
I loved going to college so much in champaign that i relocated here! It had everything i could ever want in a college town, though our "campus town" has had its ups and downs through the years, its mostly on the up now. Though i miss the hell out of the Co-Ed theatre..that place had 1st run movies the day they came out and i saw so many good ones there in the early-mid 90's! It was torn down for an apartment complex/retail shops which seems to be the trend here.

I am VERY surprised no one has mentioned Carbondale, IL (SIU), their campus and setting is beautiful!! Not a day could go by without having the abiity to do something outdorsy there with a huge national forest just south and places like the garden of the gods and giant city..

Old 04-17-2008, 01:18 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica135 View Post
Ann Arbor, MI is a really great college town.

Lexington, KY - I won't call it the worst, but can't understand why a couple people listed it as one of the best...
Because Lexington is the best college town that's why.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:45 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Ann Arbor, Michigan is the deffinition of a great college town. close to everyone in that town is loyal to Michigan athletics, mainly football. Ann Arbor is Home of the largest stadium in the nation, Michigan Stadium, aka. The Big House. it can hold 110,000 people. close to the whole population of Ann Arbor. (it only leaves out about 3,000).

its safe in the neighborhoods and downtown, not cheap but not too expensive either, right by Detroit but not too close. its much different than the rest of michigan towns its size like Flint, Saginaw, Kalamazoo, and even Lansing.

but the biggest reason its a great college town, is the fact that the whole city of Ann Arbor depends on U of M for their economy. thats their job source and economy with all the research centers and the high tech. industries the university attracted in.

Bloomington, Indiana is simular to Ann Arbor.

I Cant think of the worst college town at the moment, i dont know if i consider any "the worst". because most the college towns i know are great.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Hard to pick just one of each. I'm not crazy about these midwestern Big 10 college towns. I like a little more integration of town/gown.

Northfield, MN (Carleton, St. Olaf) is a cute little place, very college town-y, yet close enough to Minneapolis to get out of the "bubble".

Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Best - Madison, Wisconsin. Great campus, tons of fun.
Worst - 250mi. SW of Madison lies a town called Ames.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Austin- The Ultimate College Town
Berkeley
College Station
Ann Arbor
Maddison
Lubbock
and a hand full of others

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times
Best -
Madison, WI
Columbus, OH
East Lansing, MI
Oxford, OH
Austin, TX

Personally, I think Champaign would be incredibly boring. It sits in the absolute middle of nothing but cornfields. Even Iowa City looks better than Champaign IMO.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Best -

Personally, I think Champaign would be incredibly boring. It sits in the absolute middle of nothing but cornfields. Even Iowa City looks better than Champaign IMO.
I lived there for seven years, none of which were my college years. I loved it at first, but it got old. There are not many job opportunities if you aren't affiliated with the Univ. When we moved to Denver, I was amazed at the selection in the stores, compared to Champaign-Urbana. There is something to be said for a larger city.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:40 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Of the ones I've been to:

BEST:
Austin, TX
Atlanta, GA (yes, you really can consider ATL a college town)
Nashville, TN
Bloomington, IN
New York, NY (it's not a college town, yet it's in many ways the ultimate college town)

DECENT:
Lexington, KY
Bowling Green, KY
Cincinnati, OH
Fort Worth, TX

WORST:
Knoxville, TN
Tuscaloosa, AL
Waco, TX
Washington, DC (the "snotty" vibe of it, really)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.