U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 35,247 times

Advertisements

So, how do you move away from the best place to live?? I live in probably one of the most desirable, beautiful, safe, stable places that there are in our country right now. But I want out!!! How do you compare with that? The problem I am sure you are asking is cost of living. My 1100 sq. ft. 3 bdrm. 1.5 bath house on .47 acres cost me $590,000 2 years ago. It needed alot of fixing up which we are still doing as we can. The price of gas at the local station is $3.58 a gallon. We pay for the convenience of the beach but don't use it. Who has the time when all you do is work to pay your mortgage?
So, here's the deal. We are stuck here for the next 6 years until my husband retires. Then we will leave. We have 2 small children who will be in school but while I don't think it is fare to move them I also don't think it is fare to root them to a place that they will never be able to afford to live.
My question to all of you is where can I go? I will go anywhere. I would like a smaller town that is pretty. I don't need the beach but a lake nearby might be nice. I don't like really hot weather so florida and texas are out! (won't really want to live there anyway) I am a hair dresser, so work isn't too hard to find for me. My husband is in law enforcement but is very handy and can do carpentry and plumbing. I need some places to look into. I need good schools, and nice welcoming communtiy where people know people. I also need safe streets, that you can walk down at night and feel safe. And if you don't lock your door at night it is ok. Does anyone have ANY suggestions for me? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM

64 posts, read 255,402 times
I currently live in Indianapolis, IN,we have moved quite a few times in the last couple years and just couldn't find the right place for us. We moved here in Jan 06 from Virginia(DC area) and we're so happy, the cost of living is the best we have ever seen(where we've lived). We have a 2100 sq ft house with 3br and 2.5 ba that was built in 2000 that we paid less than 110,000 for. All is great in our neighborhood too including schools, the school in our township is one of the best in the area, and our neighbors are all friends, and all the kids play together. But my husbands job here is not doing so well and we are back looking for another job somewhere else, The job market here is ok for auto manufacturers like GM, Honda, etc. but not always for everyone else. I love living here and I would hate to move but you have to do what you have to do. My husband interviewed for a job on Long Island and the job was great but I think the housing is rediculous. I can't understand paying that much for a house and never getting to enjoy it because your always working. There are a lot of law enforcement jobs here too, so this might be a good place to look if you like this area.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM

653 posts, read 3,133,534 times
You may wish to do some research on DOOR COUNTY Wisconsin. Might be what you are looking for!!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,288,597 times
Quote:
next 6 years until my husband retires.
Come back in 4 to 5 years, 6 years is a bit too early to plan ahead. Things changes, prices fluctuate, desirable areas suddenly become not so desirable. Alot can happen in 6 years.

Quote:
But I want out!!!
I suppose you live in the Hamptons? I don't blame you for wanting out, I'd never live there either. It sucks to be stuck in a place that you hate but many of us have gone through it. I was stuck in a place I hated but I finally go out and am now in a place I love. Just look ahead to the future, you won't be stuck in the hamptons forever.

Some places that have a small-town charm that would also be fairly affordable with some type of water nearby:

Okoboji, IA
Seattle, WA (a bit pricey though)
Dubuque, IA
Colorado Spring, CO
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or