U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is North Carolina the greatest state in the Union?
Yes 13 12.26%
No 93 87.74%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,927,671 times

Advertisements

North Carolina is one of 50 great states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,413,573 times
I've personally never been to North Carolina, but based upon the mixed reviews I've received during my research, I'd be inclined to say it's more of a "middle-of-the-pack" state, much like Pennsylvania.

To me, North Carolina seems like it would be an outdoorsman's dream. You have the Outer Banks area, which judging by the high number of "OBX" bumper stickers and car magnets in my area, is a very popular area. It was here that Wilbur & Orville Wright first took flight at Kitty Hawk roughly a century ago (who says there's no history in NC?) To the west, the Great Smoky Mountains and Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests provide ample opportunities to hunt, hike, mountain bike, snowmobile, and trail-run.

On the flip-side, I "visited" the area via Google Earth, and I found many areas of the state to be bland, suburbanized, and sprawled out. For example, the area of Lake Norman/Mooresville/Cornelius looked like a nightmare of wide roadways, big-box stores, and McMansions, as did many other parts of the state. To me, urban sprawl indicates that there must be problems in the cities themselves to keep people avoiding them like the plague as a means for potential relocation. For a state that's growing as rapidly as North Carolina, I'd expect more people to consider moving to Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, etc. as opposed to these suburban nightmares like Lake Norman and the Cabarrus/Redell County area. If your cities are so "great," then why aren't people moving there?

I'm neither impressed nor discouraged by North Carolina; I suppose I'm just "indifferent" towards it, which would make it seem like the "middle-of-the-pack" for my own personal tastes.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM

786 posts, read 4,323,309 times
Default To many GREEN Teeth Rednecks

I agree North Carolina use to be a nice place but in recent years it is a combination of sprawl, treeless subdivisions, rednecks with green teeth, and hot humid weather. North Carolina is the next Florida.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,654,239 times
There is actually more trees in this state than there was 20 years ago
Only 14 out of 100 counties will have higher than national average in growth rate (sprawl) between 2010 and 2020
http://demog.state.nc.us/demog/gif/prog32.gif (broken link)

Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM

142 posts, read 956,404 times
Default Is NC nicer than SC?

To those of you who think NC is the greatest, can you explain in depth as to why it is better than say, SC?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 PM

21,649 posts, read 30,279,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
To those of you who think NC is the greatest, can you explain in depth as to why it is better than say, SC?
South Carolina is beautiful too, but I think North Carolina has prettier mountains and more waterfalls.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,648,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
I don't think North Carolina is "the greatest." However, I have lived in both states. I was born, raised, and educated in South Carolina, and have lived in Greensboro, NC and Wilmington, NC. I believe that somewhere around the state line between NC and SC is where the "Deep South" stops, and turns into whatever else you want to call NC, VA, and Maryland.

North Carolina is big and diverse, so you can't compare the Outer Banks with the mountains, for example. But if you want to make sweeping generalizations, my opinion is that NC's urban areas are the big difference. If you are in the boonies, you won't be able to tell a difference between NC and SC.

North Carolina is more urban and sophisticated. Raleigh in particular stands out as being very dissimilar to South Carolina's cities. All the cities in the Triangle and Triad are really just one massive suburban sprawl, compared to the smaller, more compact SC cities. South Carolina doesn't have a Duke or a UNC, and it doesn't have a Research Triangle Park, or the major Fortune 500 HQ's, or the high-paying jobs, or the amount of white Democrats, or the huge amount of transplants (which can be good or bad).

But.. South Carolina has Charleston, which if you ask me, trumps anything about the state of North Carolina. Also, IMO South Carolina has: more golf courses, better beaches, a more "Southern" attitude, and a state flag that has been elevated to iconic status within the state.

Last edited by anonymous; 06-20-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,297,519 times
Quote:
Bank of America Corp.
BB&T Corp.
Duke Energy
Family Dollar Stores
Goodrich
Jefferson-Pilot
Lowe's Companies
Nucor
Progress Energy
R.J. Reynolds
Sonic Automotive
VF Corporation
Wachovia Corp.
SPX Corp
14 Headquaters in one STATE out of 500 isn't many when some CITIES have 14 or more alone.

Quote:
Charlotte is a major city that is still growing and metamorphising into a newer better city as you read this
The Charlotte metro is pretty small.

I've been to Charlotte a few years back and I have no intention of going back. It's boring, has 4 seasons, small, and just not for me at all.

It may be nice to some but it's just not me.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM

232 posts, read 691,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I like the NC coast but I would only say it's the greatest state if you really like humidity and hurricanes.

Works for me....

Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 PM

332 posts, read 360,126 times
No because their is nothing that draws me toward NC or makes me want to visit or live there?

The best states to me are: Texas and Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or