U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is North Carolina the greatest state in the Union?
Yes 13 12.26%
No 93 87.74%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2007, 03:02 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,331,876 times

Advertisements

no, but i would definently put it in my top 50
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 PM

351 posts, read 975,698 times
Quote:
On the flip-side, I "visited" the area via Google Earth, and I found many areas of the state to be bland, suburbanized, and sprawled out. For example, the area of Lake Norman/Mooresville/Cornelius looked like a nightmare of wide roadways, big-box stores, and McMansions, as did many other parts of the state. To me, urban sprawl indicates that there must be problems in the cities themselves to keep people avoiding them like the plague as a means for potential relocation. For a state that's growing as rapidly as North Carolina, I'd expect more people to consider moving to Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, etc. as opposed to these suburban nightmares like Lake Norman and the Cabarrus/Redell County area. If your cities are so "great," then why aren't people moving there?
They are to both Raleigh & Charlotte.This is the newest stats I could find,they both are growing at a higher percentage than that at the current time.

City Mayors: Fastest growing US cities

Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,386,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
14 Headquaters in one STATE out of 500 isn't many when some CITIES have 14 or more alone.

The Charlotte metro is pretty small.

I've been to Charlotte a few years back and I have no intention of going back. It's boring, has 4 seasons, small, and just not for me at all.

It may be nice to some but it's just not me.
Charlotte metro's "small" population is around 2 million. Not NYC, but hardly small. City of Charlotte, almost 700k.

Boring? Please elaberate. We're never bored with the many (especially outdoor) activites in the area.

"...,has 4 seasons,..." - And.....that's a bad thing!?!?!?

I agree NC (or any other state) isn't for everyone, but let's stick with facts.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 AM

21,649 posts, read 30,273,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Charlotte metro's "small" population is around 2 million. Not NYC, but hardly small. City of Charlotte, almost 700k.

Boring? Please elaberate. We're never bored with the many (especially outdoor) activites in the area.

I agree NC (or any other state) isn't for everyone, but let's stick with facts.
I agree with you, how can four season's be a bad thing, that's one of many reasons I want to move, so I can experience all of them. I could live a 100 years in N.C. and never get to do all I want there.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:13 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,294,899 times
Quote:

Actually the Charlotte metro is only a bit above 1.5 million which is smaller than Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Columbus. For being the largest metro in an entire state, it's pretty small.

I guess if you like camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities it'd be a nice place but not everyone is into that sort of stuff.

Yes, to me a place that has 4 seasons is a negative. I hate cold weather with a passion. I'll take my Phoenix heat thank you very much.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:42 AM

21,649 posts, read 30,273,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Actually the Charlotte metro is only a bit above 1.5 million which is smaller than Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Columbus. For being the largest metro in an entire state, it's pretty small.

I guess if you like camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities it'd be a nice place but not everyone is into that sort of stuff.

Yes, to me a place that has 4 seasons is a negative. I hate cold weather with a passion. I'll take my Phoenix heat thank you very much.
That's funny, I HATE heat with a passion, that's why I want to get out of Houston Every place is not for everybody. So I don't expect to ever see you in North Carolina Oh and I love cold weather.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:03 AM

16 posts, read 52,067 times
north carolina isn't the best state, but it does have a lot to offer.

Good beaches in addition to the outer banks. Lots to do in the mountains as well. You also have wilmington as a small coastal city and asheville in the mountains.

Ral-Dur-Chapel Hill is very well educated, with lots of diversity and things to do. Charlotte has more of a city feel, but i dislike it personally because of the sprawl and political climate. the area around pinehurst is also beautiful. only downsides is north carolina isn't as liberal as some might like, and there is no 1 big city.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:01 PM

70 posts, read 296,684 times
I think a case can be made for NC being the best (or at least top 5) state(s) by process of elimination:

(Note, I realize people who live here or visited these places a lot would disagree, but I'm looking at this from an objective, pan-America perspective)

1. First, no one (who doesn't live there) would ever argue for these 6 plains states: ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, IA
2. States that are small and have larger neighbors that offer all they do and more: CT, RI, DE (trumped by NY) IN, WI (trumped by IL), MT, ID, WY (trumped by CO), OR (trumped by WA)
3. States too rural, poor, hick and/or conservative for the general population (not saying its bad to be these things or live there, just that Joe America wouldn't pick it as the [i]best[/I ] state: ME, NH, VT, KY, SC, WV, AR, AL, MS, NM, UT
4. Rust-belt states that most Americans consider too old, ugly, cold, industrial, high-priced, etc and have no awesome cities to make up for it: NJ, PA, MD, MI, OH
5. Hawaii and Alaska, while gorgeous, unique states, are just too far out to be the greatest.
6. I think MA is too liberal to end up winning in a national vote. MN too cold for the "average" US citizen to like living there.
7. IL and MO, while they have nice cities, don't offer much in the way of interesting landscape, good climate, outdoors activities (I know they have some, but we're looking for the greatest
8. While Vegas is great, the rest of Nevada is too bleak to win

That leaves, possibly:
Northeast: NY
South: VA, NC, GA, FL, TX
West: CO, AZ, WA, CA

These are the 10 states that offer the greatest variety of landscape, cities, lifestyle options. I think if confined to any one of these states, someone could still live a relatively diverse, fulfilling life.

So, I think NY is the king of any northern state. I can't think of any that offer more or anything NY doesn't have.

In the West, WA and AZ, while great, seem trumped by CA. It's like you get both states in that one.

While Atlanta is great, Georgia doesn't seem to offer the variety/history/diversity of NC or VA.

So, besides the four "super" states: NY, CA, FL, TX... NC and VA are the only two that survive.

Florida is too polarizing to be the greatest state. If you don't like tropical/hot, you're out of luck. And no cities really stand out as awesome. So is New York, way too expensive/cold/stressful for most of the country to choose it as the greatest state. Greatest city, definitely. Texas is also too polarizing, and can be bland. It does have diversity, yes, but its literally hour upon hours upon days apart.

I think CA, VA, and NC are the top 3 states. I can't really eliminate the other two, but there's a good chance NC is the greatest!

(P.S., by essentially insulting 47 states, I know people will lash back at this)

Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,792,024 times
North Carolina is probably top ten- most diversity in landscape on the East coast. But Charlotte is a nice clean banking TOWN. It ain't a real city.
I'd rate California, Virginia, New York and Oregon above it. I can think of few that are probably about the same, but for vastly different reasons (Colorado, Washington state) and most that are far worse. Anyone who rates Ohio in the top 20 needs to travel more.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,611,542 times
No. Simply as that. I think Texas is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or