U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 AM

48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times

Advertisements

After living in metro Atlanta for 11 years, I am seriously considering moving to another city(actually, I have been pursuing this idea since I was in the 9th or 10th grade). To me, Atlanta feels very overrated. I am not trying to criticize or offend anyone. I am just giving my account of Atlanta. What I am looking for is a city where there is more to do than just the clubs. I have also been told that Atlanta is great for young blacks. This might be true, but that rating is only scales to certain things. My rating for a good city is a place where there is plenty to do(besides the clubs). I am not worried about clubs because I don't go to clubs. I am a liker of other things such as international festivals, intellectual things. Some people would consider me the "non-stereotypical" black guy. As long as I have lived here, I believe there are better places to live, especially if you are a "non-stereotypical" black man(I am into things like geography, languages, international festivals, I don't listen to rap music(apart from Kirk Franklin), I have interests that are not considered "common" for blacks").

I have considered these places:

Seattle
Tacoma
Denver
Minneapolis
St. Paul, MN
Anchorage,AK
Fairbanks,AK

I would like to here more insight into these places and any suggestions are welcomed. However, I don't want this to stay a civilized discussion.

Last edited by green_mariner; 06-20-2007 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,468 times
Seattle, if you can afford it. Minneapolis, if you like winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
However, I don't want this to stay a civilized discussion.
Good, because there are no guarantees of that here.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Seattle, if you can afford it. Minneapolis, if you like winters.

Good, because there are no guarantees of that here.
I like winters.

Among other things, I have considered these places after reading about them in books and hearing about how good these places are. Then I hear bad things(particularly about Minneapolis and Minnesota in some cases). I have always thought of it as MN, WA, CO, AK good, GA bad, mainly through my own living experience(mainly racial tensions and social adjustments). The thing is after hearing less than rave reviews about Minnesota, I began to have some questions because while there are plenty of rave reviews about Minnesota, it is the bad ones that stick out because I never imagine Minnesota as being the land of racial tensions(perhaps in the old days there was much racial tensions, but not to the degree of Detroit or Birmingham).
As for Seattle, I haven't heard many bad reviews about it. I know some of its history, but I try to regard it with "there were worse places, like GA".

Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,468 times
I can't think of too many black people that I have seen outside of the inner city or worse-off suburbs in Cleveland, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis.
Seattle may be more to your liking, but I don't know the entire story about segregation out there.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 PM

I have been told than Minneapolis to a certain degree has more racially mixed neighborhoods than most placse in the Midwest. As for Seattle, it doesn't sound too bad. I am wondering about the other cities I listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or