Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

The cookie cutter subdivision is really big in America. In Cities all over the country I find thousands of homes that were all built at the same time with the same basic look. In one town in Texas they built over a thousand homes in one month, each of them absolutely identical to each other.

What City or metro area in America has the most cookie cutter homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The cookie cutter subdivision is really big in America. In Cities all over the country I find thousands of homes that were all built at the same time with the same basic look. In one town in Texas they built over a thousand homes in one month, each of them absolutely identical to each other.

denver metro's gotta be up there. charlotte, las vegas, sacramento, phoenix areas - any place that is the "new" place to relocate.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
denver metro's gotta be up there. charlotte, las vegas, sacramento, phoenix areas - any place that is the "new" place to relocate.

I agree with the above, and add most of central Florida to the list.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Charlotte,havent been to the Vegas and Denver in years so dont know what they are like now.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

Id's say Washington, DC. area. Its just awful. Northern Virginia used to be a very charming historic area. Now its just vanilla. Swallowed up half our state. I wouldnt live anywhere north of Fredericksburg.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,595 times
When I was living in Miami about 4 years ago, the southern suburbs of the city were horrible...Kendall comes to mind. It is so easy to get lost over there because everything looks exactly the same. To make matters worse, the bulk of that explosive sprawling growth was right along the edges of the Florida Everglades, a highly sensitive & endangered natural habitat. I hope they haven't filled it all in with look alike neighborhoods yet.

Last edited by acs.1979; 06-20-2007 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Denver has many housing styles. It is true that in most new developments, homes are limitied to 4-6 different models. However, having lived in this area for 27 yrs now, I have learned that as the landscaping grows (ever so slowly as it does here), and people build additions, change their paint colors, etc, it doesn't look so "cookie-cutter-ish". Maybe more like decorated cookies. Even in the city, there are many neighborhoods where the homes look very much alike architecturally, but you don't notice it so much b/c of the above. And many of these city neighborhoods look like neighborhoods in other cities of the same age homes. There are only so many housing styles.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Any of the Sunbelt cities will have a very large percentage of cookie-cutter homes:

Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Denver

These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Id's say Washington, DC. area. Its just awful. Northern Virginia used to be a very charming historic area. Now its just vanilla. Swallowed up half our state. I wouldnt live anywhere north of Fredericksburg.
What is vanilla???

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Hey wait a minute - take Dallas off the list and put its suburbs on there -- specifically Frisco, Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.