Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider666 View Post
You who question the video and so on: The video is a joke! But I'm still claiming that this joke has a point.

Every major American city I've been to (10+) has a deserted downtown area compared to any Major European city. People in America tend to take their car everywhere! Probably because of the distance and lack of bike/pedestrian roads. I think it's sad. Go Europe!

NYC don't count!
Preferring Europe being this way is fine, but it doesn't really have to mean anything to anyone else.

It might upset you, but maybe many Americans actually like suburbs and cars even. Our culture tends to be more individualistic than Europeans going by surveys. So maybe we want to be in our own cars, with our family perhaps, and have our own yards. That our culture leads us to prefer that over being packed in buses, subways, and the like. And maybe that's not a big deal. I mean sure it means more land usage, but I have trees in my yard so I don't know if I'm really screwing up the land any more than a city person in Europe. (Although I'm rural rather than suburban, but I think they have trees in suburbs)

Although I would agree more Americans should walk and use bicycles. Bicycles are fairly individualistic too. And I would like it if the streets and sidewalks are better for wheels as I use a wheelchair. Still I fear/feel you're doing some "let's look down at Americans, except New Yorkers" deal and that bothers me. Many of us in the US admire things about other nations, but don't necessarily want every city to be like NYC or London or Brussels or Paris. Maybe our cities can be like Melbourne, Toronto, or Osaka. Or just our unique thing. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
That video was stupid.

Uploaded on January 4, 2007 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/98368586@N00/archives/date-posted/2007/01/04/ - broken link)
by lewakow3

Uploaded on August 4, 2009 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vagabondvistas/archives/date-posted/2009/08/04/ - broken link)
by Vagabond Vistas

Uploaded on March 17, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazbabe21/archives/date-posted/2008/03/17/ - broken link)
by crazbabe21

Uploaded on May 23, 2010 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoman78/archives/date-posted/2010/05/23/ - broken link)
by James Wellman

Old 07-01-2010, 12:40 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Also I think it should probably be "Why are American cities deserted." I really loathe criticizing anyone's grammar, but how to use is/are is such an easy one to learn it grates on me. (Foreign language isn't entirely an excuse as I think I know when to use "suis" versus "sommes" in French, even if I did type "allons" at first)

Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Here's a good illustration of what I'm talking about:

YouTube - Parklife - Europe vs. America

Compared to European cities, America is deserted. How come?
What a stupid-ass video.

Here's your first clue, Epsilon: if you want to compare cities, try getting footage of a park in an American CITY. The "American" footage was obviously taken in a low-density suburban or possibly even rural area. Try filming in a park in an actual, you know, city. Then get back to us.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
You who question the video and so on: The video is a joke! But I'm still claiming that this joke has a point.

Every major American city I've been to (10+) has a deserted downtown area compared to any Major European city. People in America tend to take their car everywhere! Probably because of the distance and lack of bike/pedestrian roads. I think it's sad. Go Europe!

NYC don't count!
You posted a video of two parks and now are talking about downtowns, which is a complete fabrication.

Europe:

America:

Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Preferring Europe being this way is fine, but it doesn't really have to mean anything to anyone else.

It might upset you, but maybe many Americans actually like suburbs and cars even. Our culture tends to be more individualistic than Europeans going by surveys. So maybe we want to be in our own cars, with our family perhaps, and have our own yards. That our culture leads us to prefer that over being packed in buses, subways, and the like. And maybe that's not a big deal. I mean sure it means more land usage, but I have trees in my yard so I don't know if I'm really screwing up the land any more than a city person in Europe. (Although I'm rural rather than suburban, but I think they have trees in suburbs)

Although I would agree more Americans should walk and use bicycles. Bicycles are fairly individualistic too. And I would like it if the streets and sidewalks are better for wheels as I use a wheelchair. Still I fear/feel you're doing some "let's look down at Americans, except New Yorkers" deal and that bothers me. Many of us in the US admire things about other nations, but don't necessarily want every city to be like NYC or London or Brussels or Paris. Maybe our cities can be like Melbourne, Toronto, or Osaka. Or just our unique thing. Who knows?
I think the individualism angle is something that shouldn't be ignored in all of this. A lot of the design is based on social behavior and values of the majority.

I also think belittling people and areas for how their cities are designed is non-productive and possibly counter-productive. When it happens I could see a significant number feel more convinced of the way things are is best and entrench more in their views as it is felt that it is assulted.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:47 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Please, really? An empty water bottle on the ground? I'm sure you cound never find any trash on the ground in Europe. I've been in European parks, and they have trash on the ground too. GEEZ!

The American lifestyle and the European lifestyle are different, and thats a good thing.

This is totally ridiculous.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
I sorry but that OP video made me laugh. Question! What city and what park was that? And some how that park suppose to represent American parks? LAMO. Yeah parks in American cities normally are that empty "Cough cough" normally............. normal... as in usually ) that video was an extreme satire.

Ok yall this piedmont park in Atlanta, he's driving through midtown so go 2 mins in.

YouTube - Piedmont Park

seriously

YouTube - Atlanta, GA Piedmont Park Snow day

Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not so, here in the Twin Cities. In my neighborhood, you'll always find lots of people strolling, running or biking on the River Boulevard, summer or winter, night or day. Even more so around the Mpls lakes.
Being from the Duluth area, I've been to Minneapolis a lot in the summer (including to Minnehaha Park and the Grand Rounds), and this is true, but I don't think it's representative of the country as a whole.

Interestingly, I've heard from at least two sources that immigrants tend to make use of parks much more often than natives in the United States. There are virtually no immigrants in Duluth, but from my time spent in Minneapolis, I can say that is probably true, although there isn't much of a foreign-born contingent (compared to other cities) there either.

Again, I think it is partly a land-use difference and partly a cultural difference. Many, if not most Americans DO NOT like to walk for recreation or utility purposes (I've told of anecdotes about this in other posts on this forum), and in addition, most seem to recreate in private spaces where they cannot be observed by the general public.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Default Why is American cities deserted?

why? because the suburbs own america

people love their space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.