Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Americans don't like the outdoors as much. Even if you go to a typical suburban subdivision on a good day you won't find so many playing outdoors. Anonymous child: "I play indoors because that's where the electrical outlets are. " American parks are crowded, it seems, only when there is an event, such as a concert.
thats not true, there are always people in central park, grant park, lincoln park, golden gate park, venice beach, mission beach, etc.

Maybe you should visit Europe in winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Americans don't like the outdoors as much. Even if you go to a typical suburban subdivision on a good day you won't find so many playing outdoors. Anonymous child: "I play indoors because that's where the electrical outlets are. " American parks are crowded, it seems, only when there is an event, such as a concert.
False. I know in suburbs in Texas; you see lots of kids out playing, people walking/jogging and more.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,643,141 times
Quote:
yea right, we have electrical outlests outside too . But seriously, I live in the suburbs and even here I see kids playing outside and people walking the dog/ jogging every day. And if you go to any of the parks here you will always see people in them, maybe they won't be jammed pack because the suburbs are less desne so people have their personal space, which is what I want when i go to a park. But there are many urban parks in all cities across america that get packed like the ones in europe since there in dense areas.

Not to mention the theme parks/water parks here in Orlando which are outside and are jammed packed with people everyday. Go to the beaches here and you will see they are packed all the time, go to a lake and you will see them filled with people on their boats, skiiing, wake boarding, tubing, etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,878,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider666 View Post
You who question the video and so on: The video is a joke! But I'm still claiming that this joke has a point.

Every major American city I've been to (10+) has a deserted downtown area compared to any Major European city. People in America tend to take their car everywhere! Probably because of the distance and lack of bike/pedestrian roads. I think it's sad. Go Europe!

NYC don't count!
NYC is not the only example, but most American cities are fairly new and were built around the car or if slightly older, the street car line. Crowded cities were built before the 1870s, anything since then is going to be spread out. Europe was already pretty crowded by the time transportation made suburban living possible. It's just a different urban history. That said, you should really visit a bit more of America. Here's a video from a park in Boston that is quite representative of how it is all year round:

The other element to consider is that American culture is more indivicualistic. Most of the time, we don't want to have just a small patch of ground surrounded by strangers. A park for sitting outside is less useful to an American than a private yard. But if you go to a beach in a populated area, you'll see things every bit as crowded as you do in the video you posted. The reason, of course, is that few can own private beaches, but almost everybody can afford to own a private yard.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,394,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
if not nyc, how about chicago...

it looks something like this right now... and similar throughout the entire summer...

oh and the beach is packed too... somewhat like a park...

how about people out in l.a. ?
Exactly...not to mention the people in cities like Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Washington DC...

Also, why shouldn't NYC count? That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,796,911 times
Sure, theme parks are always populated (or they go out of business) but they are also very different from city parks. Access is controlled and it is easier for someone to get thrown out. Entertainment is focused. And it is a destination that most visitors come from a long distance to get to.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Exactly...not to mention the people in cities like Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Washington DC...

Also, why shouldn't NYC count? That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
It should, its U.S. premier city...

If New York doesn't count... neither does London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, Zurich, Munich, Berlin, Rome, Milan, Athens, Amsterdam, etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM

89 posts, read 379,224 times
It's all about population density. Population density in major european countries are like 300/km square. While the population density in the US is only like 32/km square. The states in the US that are close to the population density of european countries will be in the New England region (MA, CT, RI, and MD). So if you remember going to those states...i'm sure the parks will be more crowded. And i think it has something to do also with the urban population. If you take a video of an urban park in Europe and a suburb park in the US, then that really doesnt tell you anything. Kind of have to compare apple to apple. Have to compare pics and videos of the parks with the same urban / rural / suburb location with the same population density then we can start analysing it even deeper.

Interesting video though.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,257,206 times
Quote:
Everyone in here is obviously biased. You are clearly having a laugh if you claim that American people go out as much as Europeans. American cities would be dead looking if it wasn't for all the cars, compared to any major city in Europe.

And NYC still doesn't count.
Yes, we are the biased ones.

And remember, New York City doesn't count because it would out any European city to shame more than our other cities.

Quote:
Finally someone who sees this obvious truth. I assume all the haters simply haven't traveled enough.
So you have to be right.

it's okay, dementor, do you hate America because you feel inferior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
That video was stupid.

Uploaded on January 4, 2007 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/98368586@N00/archives/date-posted/2007/01/04/ - broken link)
by lewakow3

Uploaded on August 4, 2009 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vagabondvistas/archives/date-posted/2009/08/04/ - broken link)
by Vagabond Vistas

Uploaded on March 17, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazbabe21/archives/date-posted/2008/03/17/ - broken link)
by crazbabe21

Uploaded on May 23, 2010 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoman78/archives/date-posted/2010/05/23/ - broken link)
by James Wellman
What city are those pictures of?

Last edited by thePR; 07-01-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Americans don't like the outdoors as much? Perhaps you heard of our National Park System? Do Yellowstone, Yosemite, Everglades, Grand Canyon ring a bell? State Parks too, my state is roughly the size of England but has a state park larger than Wales.

As for the suburbs, they are for people who want a nice yard and surroundings instead of living in a squalid overcrowded flat. And perhaps it is saying something about some of the European housing conditions that they spend so much time away from their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.