U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,873,289 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of places I enjoy going dressed down, I was just at one of them tonight (wearing blue jeans), but I just am of the opinion that shouldn't be everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,468 times
There are too many slobby places in the country. It's too bad that the social pressure to look clean and presentable is lacking now.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,962,724 times
Here in Louisville at Fourth street Live ( a strip downtown with restaurants and bars) you have to wear certain attire (I dunno what it is though, I don't go there) but I don't think it's formal. Growing up, there was a skating rink (yes, i said skating rink) where certain attire wasn't allowed such as gang colors, spaghetti strap tops, sleeveless, tops, etc. but the funny thing is that they would still play raunchy (at least to me) rap and hip-hop songs. I don't get it.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,930,633 times
When I think "slob" I think of these guys who come into a nice restaraunt with their BASEBALL CAPS on thru out dinner Or guys in their sleevless shirts who always seem to raise their arms-UGH-loose my appetite! I had a hairdresser once who insisted on sleeveless shirts to keep cool,,,can you imagine my view when he shampooed

Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,791,562 times
I applaud places for this. People used to take pride in their apperances. I'm glad to see it make more of a comeback.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM

142 posts, read 956,120 times
To anyone who might suggest that there is something wrong with dressing down, even when going out, I say this:

We were all born naked. The only true purpose of clothing in general is to protect us and help keep us warm. The only true purpose fancy, dressy clothes serve is to mask our insecurities, and make us feel like bigger men & women than we really are.

Fancy clothes only scream "Please! Please! Look at me! I need to feel important! I am begging for you to look up to me!!"

Those of us who are truly confident and secure realize that it is what is underneath the clothing that makes us important.

Even the great Henry David Thoreau wrote in Walden: "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"

As long as people are clean, and don't smell bad, it's all good....

Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM

5,373 posts, read 12,990,427 times
I knew this had to be coming from a pacific northwesterner^^^^^^
Many gothic dressers up her in the pnw too. They also say 'please please please look at me'.
Believe me, I love nice clothes and its certainly not to mask my insecurities. LOL!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 PM

142 posts, read 956,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I knew this had to be coming from a pacific northwesterner^^^^^^
Many gothic dressers up her in the pnw too. They also say 'please please please look at me'.
Believe me, I love nice clothes and its certainly not to mask my insecurities. LOL!
Don't get me wrong....all the "goths" "punks" and "hipsters" over here in the PACNW fall under the same "fancy clothes" catagory....they are just trying to impress an entirely different crowd....same concept though...trying way too hard impress somebody or another. Instead of spending endless amounts of time and money at the drycleaner, they spend endless amounts of time and money trying to look like they are homeless.

I prefer a clean pair of shorts, a clean t-shirt, and my black sunglasses

Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 PM

450 posts, read 1,718,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
To anyone who might suggest that there is something wrong with dressing down, even when going out, I say this:

We were all born naked. The only true purpose of clothing in general is to protect us and help keep us warm. The only true purpose fancy, dressy clothes serve is to mask our insecurities, and make us feel like bigger men & women than we really are.

Fancy clothes only scream "Please! Please! Look at me! I need to feel important! I am begging for you to look up to me!!"

Those of us who are truly confident and secure realize that it is what is underneath the clothing that makes us important.

Even the great Henry David Thoreau wrote in Walden: "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"

As long as people are clean, and don't smell bad, it's all good....
You know, I agree with what you say. Generally -- not always, but much of the time -- the people who dress up the most, I have found them to be cold personalities, and I've always wondered if there was a connection.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you wear a sleeveless t-shirt to Morton's. But on the other hand, when people look down on others because they didn't spend 200 dollars on a pair of pants... yes, I really believe those people are either pathetically shallow or trying to make up for something lacking in their life.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 AM

2,506 posts, read 7,761,217 times
And the only true purpose of a house is to shelter, so a box is good as long as it is clean? Come on, people dress nicely b/c they WILL get more respect. Try getting pulled over in a wife beater and torn pants and then try the same in a nice shirt and dockers. Who gunna get ticketed? Taste doesn't have to be expensive (that IS stupid), but a clean pair of jeans, a collar shirt and loafers go a long way. (everything I have on cost 80 bucks) My two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or