U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 PM

450 posts, read 1,718,089 times

Advertisements

Well, everyone will view things differently. I am not saying to wear sleeveless shirts and torn jeans, but the inverse can be true.

If I see two people -- one in a suit jacket and dress pants, and another in a sweatshirt and clean jeans, I'll talk to the second person -- it is less intimidating and a friendlier look in my opinion.

And if someone is selling me something and they're wearing a suit, that's two strikes -- I don't trust them. A golf shirt and khakis, to me, shows less self-importance -- and self-importance is not something I appreciate.

So to each their own. From me, the nicer dress will not get more respect. I have more respect for the wealthy person wearing a nice sweatshirt and $25 khaki's from Kohl's -- and gave the extra money to charity -- than the wealthy person who spent $120 on a pair of pants from Nordstrom. To me, I don't notice the difference anyway -- but if I could tell the difference, I respect the lower-key approach. It is just the way I am, to me, the ostentatiously dressed would lose a great deal of respect from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,868,107 times
I guess because I've spent so much of my life working in Chicago's LOOP, to me, a guy wearing a suit is no big deal as I see literally hundreds of them on the street a day and I have no opinions good bad or otherwise of suit wearers, and given that sometimes I have to be one of them (I have to dress up next Wednesday for a meeting), I'd like to think the same consideration would be extended toward me. I've never really found suit jackets and dress pants all that intimidating because quite a few people I know dress like that every day, and they aren't intimidating at all

Old 06-22-2007, 05:24 PM

142 posts, read 955,536 times
"Come on, people dress nicely b/c they WILL get more respect. Try getting pulled over in a wife beater and torn pants and then try the same in a nice shirt and dockers. Who gunna get ticketed?"

You are correct, but that is exactly my point. Respect should come from an individuals actions, not the clothes they have on.

I will give you an example. Years back I was living in New England, and I had two different cars. One was a nice & fancy shiny red Saab, in which I drove way too fast all the time. Did I once get pulled over driving it? Nope, not once. My other car was an old beat up Chevy Impala that I always drove nice and slow in. I got pulled over ALL THE TIME in this car! Why? Simply because it looked like a car a "gangster" type would drive. I never actually got ticketed because I wasn't ever doing anything wrong; I was pulled over because they thought I might be doing something wrong based on my vehicle type alone.

I was actually breaking more laws in the Saab, but only managed to get pulled over in the Chevy because of PERCEPTION. Now tell me, is that right?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,758,215 times
/\ NO, thats life. A bad first impression is just that, bad. A decent guy has to be under there, but said guy has to have an impression first.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
I did think the jeans at the funerals were a little disrespectful to the person that died, but then again, better to come in jeans than not to come at all. After all, funerals are for the living, and to provide support to the family.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm not advocating wearing jeans to a funeral -- although I agree, it's better than not going at all -- but I just think we're moving back to a more formal society. With a more formal society comes a more classist society, as more people look at each other based on what they wear, what they drive, etc. And to me, that's totally wrong.

For me personally, I really can't see any difference between a $100 suit and a $2000 suit, or a $15 pair of shoes and a $200 pair of shoes. Some people can't believe this, but I really can't tell the difference!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
For me personally, I really can't see any difference between a $100 suit and a $2000 suit, or a $15 pair of shoes and a $200 pair of shoes. Some people can't believe this, but I really can't tell the difference!
Neither can I, for the most part.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,981,245 times
I am not rich but I certainly can tell a $2000 suit from a $100 suit. I recently purchased a $135 pair of italian slacks and a pair of nice dress shoes. I purchased them because I liked them, they're comfortable, stylish and I know will last a long time.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 AM

142 posts, read 955,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I am not rich but I certainly can tell a $2000 suit from a $100 suit. I recently purchased a $135 pair of italian slacks and a pair of nice dress shoes. I purchased them because I liked them, they're comfortable, stylish and I know will last a long time.
Comon, admit it now....there is no such thing as a comfortable dress shoe! My old overpadded skateboard sneaks on the other hand...they make me feel like I am walking on my sofa all day long

Old 06-26-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I don't doubt you can personally feel the difference. But seriously, I would have no idea how much they're worth when I'm looking at you wearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or