U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM

12,591 posts, read 15,058,526 times

Advertisements

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
To me, living there means you actually change your address and receive mail there. Get a job, find housing, and receive mail. That to me means you have lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,616,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
2 years? No... I'd say maybe a month or two minimum and have a residence/get mail, etc. I mean it's a short stay, but you are living there. According to ajf's definition, there are periods of my life that didn't exist then, I had to have been "somewhere"...Some people move like every year, they obviously are living somewhere.
I would say if you move somewhere longer than a few months with the original intention that you're planning on staying longer--you've basically lived somwehere. If you pay taxes or vote, you're definitely can say you lived there.

People are bringing up cultural assimilation and being used to the new environment, but there's people that live somewhere for years and years and don't truly adapt to or adopt much of the new place they live.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
Paying taxes and voting doesn't count for living in foreign countries though. I.E. somebody joins the peace corps and only stays for 6 months and guatemala, they never paid taxes or voted, but I'd say they definitely lived there. A teacher doing ESL stays in South Korea for only a 3 month contract, they lived there. etc.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Paying taxes and voting doesn't count for living in foreign countries though. I.E. somebody joins the peace corps and only stays for 6 months and guatemala, they never paid taxes or voted, but I'd say they definitely lived there. A teacher doing ESL stays in South Korea for only a 3 month contract, they lived there. etc.
Sure, I'm not saying it's the only qualification, but one of many... I was just bringing it up to counter the claim that you have to spend two years or more in a place to consider "lived there". You settle down somewhere and end up voting and paying taxes pretty quickly--you've already got sort of a stake in the area and it doesn't take two years.

Of course it's different if you live overseas(or if you're a college student). A ESL teacher living 3 months in Korea can say they lived there, but it's a short stay and if they knew they were leaving after 3 months it's a different situation in some ways.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 18,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
To me, living there means you actually change your address and receive mail there. Get a job, find housing, and receive mail. That to me means you have lived there.
This.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
I think it has to do with intent and involvement. If you're just there because your work sent you there and have no interest in getting involved in the local community, it doesn't really matter how long your temporary assignment is because you're not really living there.

My husband has been in Michigan for four months. I don't consider him living there. He's just there for work.

It also seems different if you're talking present time or talking about if you lived somewhere. Maybe you relocate to another town or state and say you're living there now but you find out it's not for you or for whatever reason you need to move again in six months. Do you really say you lived there? When someone asks where you're from, do you consider it a place you actually lived?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM

What about somebody who moves around from contract to contract job as they come available? I did that for a period of about 5 years and was bouncing around places about every 6 months on average to different cities but never had an intention on staying.

In a 3 year stretch of this, I lived in 9 different places all work or school related and was mostly bouncing between Chicago, SF and Florida. IT contracts/consulting are anywhere from 1 month to a few years. They just bring you in for a project, but are always opening up around the country. In the major cities with lots of corps/tech like NYC, DC, Chicago, SF short term leases and/or company housing are widely available.

So was I not living anywhere over this period?

Last edited by grapico; 11-07-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I think it has to do with intent and involvement. If you're just there because your work sent you there and have no interest in getting involved in the local community, it doesn't really matter how long your temporary assignment is because you're not really living there.
Though once again, there's people who live somewhere for years and have no interest getting involved in the local community.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
Quote:
What about somebody who moves around from contract to contract job as they come available? I did that for a period of about 5 years and was bouncing around places about every 6 months on average to different cities but never had an intention on staying.

In a 3 year stretch of this, I lived in 9 different places all work or school related and was mostly bouncing between Chicago, SF and Florida. IT contracts/consulting are anywhere from 1 month to a few years. They just bring you in for a project, but are always opening up around the country. In the major cities with lots of corps/tech like NYC, DC, Chicago, SF short term leases and/or company housing are widely available.

So was I not living anywhere over this period?

Hence your location, roaming gnome.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM

That's more of an informal moniker, I've been in the same place for 3 years at this point but will of course once again move soon, pretty fitting. It's possible I will settle down, but, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or