U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2010, 12:26 AM

75 posts, read 91,047 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about Mid-sized cities that have a friendly populace, decent liberal AND relatively conservative population and a low cost of living yet at the same time having at least a decent, relatively diverse job market.

Finally, it would also help if there was at least a decent population of singles in their 20's and 30's and a good population of attractive, feminine women.

I'm basically looking for undiscovered "gems", where life is relatively easy, yet the living is good.

I came up with the idea for this thread after reading about Louisville, KY, where i actually attended high school for one year. Many mid-sized cities w/ a low cost of living that i have seen, seem boring to live in long term, especially for those who do not seem to get married right after college....
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,936,005 times
St. Louis all the way. Cost of living is low; especially if you don't have kids in school because you don't have to worry about private school tuition, which is essential in many areas.

I'm not sure if most people would consider it a medium-sized city or a large city. The city only has 350,000 people, but the metro is around 2.8 million. It's not overwhelming at all though. Some people say it feels like a big small town. I can see that; the people are friendly and down to earth.

I think there are a lot of attractive women, especially in the central corridor & suburbs. There are a lot more blonds in St. Louis than where I'm from, which is a good thing IMO.

The city itself is little more liberal, but the surrounding areas are more conservative. Overall it's more moderate, maybe slightly conservative because of the Catholic & nearby Bible Belt influence.

St. Louis is definitely an undiscovered gem, that's why I like it so much. I'd rather live in a place that doesn't have so much hype. I prefer a more traditional, laid-back city with character to a booming city like Atlanta or Dallas. It's a great place for families, but someone in their 20's & 30's wouldn't run out of things to do. The city is full of unique neighborhoods with tons of bars, restaurants, shopping, and cool places to hangout. These neighborhoods are scattered throughout the city. The majority of entertainment isn't just concentrated in Downtown like many cities.

If you have visited before, it might look like a rough place from the interstate. There are plenty of rough, unattractive areas. But you should steer away from those areas and explore the nicer areas: Central Corridor from the suburbs all the way to Downtown, as well as large parts of South City.

Last edited by Smtchll; 07-04-2010 at 04:53 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 03:18 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,546,397 times
Most Affordable Cities To Buy A Home - Forbes.com

Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM

12,519 posts, read 12,721,422 times
Fort Collins, Colorado Fort Collins, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A balanced mix of liberals and moderate conservatives, a young population, it's also a college town so it's active and somewhat recession-proof (6% unemployment), considered affordable though unsure of your baseline criteria for affordable, attractive outdoorsy-fit population, one hour to Denver for your big city fix.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM

31,938 posts, read 37,944,619 times
What does the OP consider "mid sized"?

Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,475,898 times
Worcester, MA
Springfield, MA
Hartford, CT
New Haven, CT
Providence, RI

All between 130,000-185,000 people, plus much much larger metros. New England's strength is in its economic diversity. Escpecially Worcester-which is why I wrote it first. Providence is an all around great city to live and work. Springfield and Hartford offer a smaller, but diverse economy and all the charms of large city living but with all the charm of rural/suburban New England. New Haven benefits by being a college town and only 90 mins from New York.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 PM

31,938 posts, read 37,944,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Good site and information on cities that might help the OP.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good site and information on cities that might help the OP.
Not really looking for the most affordable places to buy a home. I'm seeking a place where living is easy, but i won't get bored as a single person. i'm quite aware that some cities are affordable, but like i said, are places for people who get married right after college.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What does the OP consider "mid sized"?
Anything from 200-500K to 3-4 million metro. I'm not quite as keen on really small towns, as they just don't provide a diversity of job opportunities, generally speaking, unless it's a company based town, where the company is pretty substantial.

Not so picky there. Just wondering if some great mid-sized cities are out there that i am not aware of.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
St. Louis all the way. Cost of living is low; especially if you don't have kids in school because you don't have to worry about private school tuition, which is essential in many areas.

I'm not sure if most people would consider it a medium-sized city or a large city. The city only has 350,000 people, but the metro is around 2.8 million. It's not overwhelming at all though. Some people say it feels like a big small town. I can see that; the people are friendly and down to earth.

I think there are a lot of attractive women, especially in the central corridor & suburbs. There are a lot more blonds in St. Louis than where I'm from, which is a good thing IMO.

The city itself is little more liberal, but the surrounding areas are more conservative. Overall it's more moderate, maybe slightly conservative because of the Catholic & nearby Bible Belt influence.

St. Louis is definitely an undiscovered gem, that's why I like it so much. I'd rather live in a place that doesn't have so much hype. I prefer a more traditional, laid-back city with character to a booming city like Atlanta or Dallas. It's a great place for families, but someone in their 20's & 30's wouldn't run out of things to do. The city is full of unique neighborhoods with tons of bars, restaurants, shopping, and cool places to hangout. These neighborhoods are scattered throughout the city. The majority of entertainment isn't just concentrated in Downtown like many cities.

If you have visited before, it might look like a rough place from the interstate. There are plenty of rough, unattractive areas. But you should steer away from those areas and explore the nicer areas: Central Corridor from the suburbs all the way to Downtown, as well as large parts of South City.
I think St. Louis is a great suggestion. It does fit most of my criteria. It really is not easy to find an affordable place that it ok for singles, enough to do AND has somewhat of a mix of liberals and people that are relatively conservative. Other recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.