Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 AM

502 posts, read 2,295,654 times

Advertisements

Five years have passed and still this day is so hard to get through. The faces of the friends I lost that day keep flashing in front of my eyes. Then seeing the cops everywhere (I work in NY) makes it so scary. I was even stopped today for a bag check. Little 5'2'' me, in a navy skirt suit and high heels. It frightens me to think that I look suspicious, to cop. I mean If I do, then it makes me think twice of every man and woman that sits next to me on the train. I feel so sad today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 AM

183 posts, read 1,263,482 times
Dont take it so personally, we've just become a nervous country

Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
Dont take it so personally, we've just become a nervous country
I didn't take it personally but I just thought it was a little scary that everyone is suspect. My friend said they were just pulling over woman because we are the ones with the big bags . You know we have to travel with umbrellas, office shoes, PDAs, cell phones, magazines, books, makeup bag, Advil, tissue, nailpolish, etc. You'll never know what you need in a pinch.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 AM

156 posts, read 792,263 times
Default 9/11

Isabella - We have become a cautious country and I think that reminds each of us what we lost that day. I'm sure, for those like yourself who have experienced losses that were very personal in nature, that sadness and sense of loss is expotential compared to what those of us who didn't personally know anyone who died on that awful day. Our family visited "ground zero" 2 years ago and it was sobering. My heart is heavy today as well.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:08 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Default Not just you Isabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Five years have passed and still this day is so hard to get through. The faces of the friends I lost that day keep flashing in front of my eyes. Then seeing the cops everywhere (I work in NY) makes it so scary. I was even stopped today for a bag check. Little 5'2'' me, in a navy skirt suit and high heels. It frightens me to think that I look suspicious, to cop. I mean If I do, then it makes me think twice of every man and woman that sits next to me on the train. I feel so sad today.
I don't fly anymore unless I absolutely have to because of the hassle Isabella. I don't know what it is that triggers the guards, but I get the full treatment every time. Not just saying every time, I mean EVERY time. I have thought long and hard about what it could be that triggers them to shake me down at airports so thoroughly... I've never figured it out. I'm cleancut, redheaded, blue-eyed, dress normally in golf shirt type of shirts and khaki pants or clean jeans, and I don't carry a lot of stuff with me. But I get singled out for hand patting, having to stand in a cross position while getting electronically wanded, all of my carry-on stuff gone through, shoes removed and scanned and searched, stared at in the eyes like I'm being interrogated as a suspect,etc. It sucks. So, I don't fly. I drive to avoid all the crap. Luckily, I get to see a lot of America I'd never see if I flew and I am constantly humbled by this country's extraordinary beauty. I also am so thankful to live in America and be American. I've had to work in the Philippines, been through Hong Kong, all of Europe including rural southern parts, Haiti, The Dominican Republic, Mexico, lived in Cuba two years, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and elsewhere and nothing attracts me like driving through real America. I love everything about it. As for 9/11, yes, it changed everything. It has changed, like I said, how I travel (my own choice to avoid the security shakedown humiliation). But I read an article today in Macleans Magazine entitled: "The Cornucopia of Anti-Americanism". I thought it was going to be another Canadian slapdown. Instead, it was a relatively short piece that reminds Americans and others that this anti-Americanism we all are so aware of right now always was. 9/11 was just a pause as our usual detractors both domestic and foreign recoiled in shock. But the author points out that America is different than any other historical global superpower. We never conquered countries. We don't stay and occupy for territorial gain. We don't make war without reason. We're hated because we are the world's most successful consumers. I read the other day that a poll in Egypt asked what country do you hate the most: America. What country would you move to if you could: America.... go figure! We are a threat to the planet not because of our military might (imagine the fear of Europe and Asia if Russia and or China had our power!), but because of our soccer moms who drive gas-guzzling SUVs. We have better environmental success than Canada and Europe though we never joined Kyoto. Our crime rate is half that of Canada and we rank even further behind Australia, Britain, Holland, and Sweden in crime(easy to look up statistics with the Dutch Ministry of Justice, Vancouver Board of Trade, and UN international crime yearly figures). In almost every measure America beats our neighbors, allies, and competitors. When you've traveled around the world, you can't help but notice how far ahead of the world America is. There is no real comparison. Yet, we accept that we're awful because pseudo-intellectual left wingers tell us so, both American and Foreign. 9/11 just made me realize that those opinions are as hollow as the brains of those who perpetrate them and blatantly false. I appreciate more than ever what America is, and though I hate the security measures, I don't fear terrorism anymore one bit. There's nothing they can do to us that will shock me anymore and I'm mentally ahead of them. I know we'll win. So, you and your 5'2" ,high heels and suit shakedown and my airport experiences are just the price we have to pay, but overall, aren't we darn lucky to be American?

Last edited by MoMark; 09-11-2006 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-11-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Momark

Yes, without a doubt we are lucky be American. The more I learn and read about other nations, the luckier I feel.

Thanks for your response. Your confidence makes me feel good. You even made laugh when you referred to my 5'2" high heels and suit shakedown.

Ever since 9/11, I feel a little shaken every once in a while. Sometimes just hearing 9/11 gets me all teary eyed. I haven't even been able to go to the World Trade Center because I'm not sure I can deal with seeing in person a part of me/us gone forever. Some people said it helped them visit the site but I'm not so sure what it would do for me and I guess I'm afraid to find out.

Security measures are necessary and although I was taken aback when I was inspected this morning, I'm glad it is being done. I'll go along with whatever we have to do to keep our country safe.

By the way, your self description conjured up a picture of Richie Cunningham in my mind.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times

God bless America...and We will NEVER Forget.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
Had to put the smileys in for you Isabella..

Old 09-11-2006, 02:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Hey Isabella, don't think you are the only "suspicious looking" lady! Last time I was at the airport with my husband and 11 year old son we got stopped and had to step aside and be frisked. Why? Because I didn't realize my driver's license had expired and DMV didn't send me a notice to renew it. So I guess that tipped everyone off that maybe we had a bomb or weapons or something. Go figure! It was embarrassing and my son was scared, but we "dangerous" folk managed to board the aircraft anyway!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:13 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
There was a piece on a local news station recently about Muslims in the local area (Los Angeles). It may seem amazing to many, but a lot of people convert to Islam. The woman they interviewed on TV had converted to Islam and she looked like a typical perky American girl -- kind of like Katie Couric. There are blonde, blue-eyed Muslims. Red haired ones too! Even Asian Muslims! In fact, the TV station mentioned that Islam is the second largest religion in the world.

Anyway, I don't think you can judge a book by it's cover -- hence the security checks.

By the way, did anyone watch the documentary on 9/11 last night? I can't remember what station it was on but it was about two French documentary producers who had been following a "newbie" firefighter in New York City for two months prior to 9/11. I think it might have been a repeat, but it was the most fascinating documentary I've seen in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.