U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times

Advertisements

Can't decide on one, I love mountains.

Leadville, CO - highest incorporated town in the US at an altitude of over 10,000 feet, amazing hiking and beautiful mountain roads nearby. Cool little eclectic town with Victorian architecture.

Taos, NM - Where the High Desert meets the Rockies, the Rio Grande Gorge, lots of artistry and NM adobe style architecture.

Leavenworth, WA - a little slice of faux Bavaria (the town has a uniform architectural code to replicate a Bavarian mountain village). in the Casacades at the end of gloriously scenic Stevens Pass and some nice lakes nearby. It's a very enchanting place to be around the Christmas holidays.

Stowe, VT - Popular ski resort area, a storybook rural New England village and beautiful area.

Lake Plaicd, NY - my favorite place for winter recreation, everything imaginable for winter sports as it ought be having hosted 2 Winter Olympic Events. Lots of awesome little lakes nearby.

Bend, OR - Near the Three Sisters Volcanic Peaks in the Cascade Mountains, Mont Bachellor is one of my favorite ski areas (you can ski right past the lava domes on the treeless summit of the mountain). The town is near the high desert and surrounded by Ponderosa Pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 AM

8,001 posts, read 16,052,716 times
I love the Morgantown WV post. Awesome small city.

For more traditional towns, I like Park City Utah, Stowe VT and North Conway NH among the best. My parents have a vacation home in Bethel, ME which is very nice as well.

I haven't been to Aspen, Vail, Teluride, Banff, etc. So I can't judge.

For a change of pace, Ooty, India was pretty awesome.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 AM

964 posts, read 2,046,048 times
Boone or Banner Elk, NC

Your favorite mountain town-boone_nc_-_aerial.jpg

Boone is the highest-elevation town with a population over 10,000 East of the MS River; its' population is around 17,000, @ 3300'.

Banner Elk (population around 1000) is 17 miles W, and about 1000 feet higher up.

Just N of Banner Elk is Beech Mountain, which at ~6000' is the highest-elevation incorporated town in the east.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,147,283 times
Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho
Jackson, Wyoming
Bend, Oregon
Sandpoint Idaho...the lake next to this little mountain town puts it in a league its own. It would be difficult to find a more beautiful mountain town location anywhere in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.