U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 PM

7,437 posts, read 7,615,968 times
They're treated politely in my area (Duluth, Minnesota), but from the looks of threads on the Minnesota board, have a really hard time deepening their relationships below the surface and forming friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 PM

40,060 posts, read 19,096,819 times
My little corner of the country (that would be New York City) is pretty much the dictionary definition of a melting pot. We've got this statue in our harbor that's been greeting newcomers for more than a hundred years.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 2,608,772 times
Some people move to smaller towns to get away from the "rat race" in bigger cities...Our friends and family in SO CA thought we were "nuts" for moving to a small..."sleepy" and HOT town in AZ...We didn't care because we wanted to lve in an area that wouldn't be targeted for "rapid development" in the near future....The housing boom in CA changed everything. Californians sold their homes for big bucks and fled to neighboring states where they could buy similiar homes for a fraction of the cost and pocket the rest of the cash....Those of us who moved to AZ and Nevada and other neighboring states to get away from the "rat race" in CA weren't too happy to see all of the newcomers flood in and change the culture....People who used to laugh and make fun of us for moving to the desert had no qualms about moving here when the "price was right" and it worked to their advantage...Oh well....It's time for us to move on soon. Need to move way out in the "boonies" where no one else ever wants to live.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,237,119 times
I notice it depends on how similar the newcomers are to the native residents of an area. If there is a difference in income/race/religion/politics/culture it is more likely to cause friction, especially if there is the fear that the newcomers will radically change the culture or an area.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 2,608,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
Hardly anyone is actually from Vegas, so newcomers are definitely welcome.
I know people in Vegas and Henderson and outlying areas who haven't been happy about the population explosion at all....Families lived and worked in Vegas for eons...before all of the newcomers flooded in and took over...The original settlers got lost in the shuffle and outnumbered and their voices are hardly ever heard....The growth in Vegas affected us too even though we live 90 miles to the south along the Colorado River in Arizona....Las Vegas is our closest "big city." But we hardly ever go up to Vegas anymore because it's not fun to have to "fight" all of the traffic...It's too stressful.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,253,241 times
It honestly depends on where you move in the cities and where you're moving from. South Minneapolis you'll be fine. Eastern suburbs, it will be a little harder. People from Wisconsin and the Dakotas wil fit in better than people from the South and East Coast. Plus people will be friendly with you, but it is apparently hard to form actual friendships.

This has been debated endlessly on the Minnesota forum.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 PM

963 posts, read 805,648 times
It's Charlotte! So yes, we transplanters are welcomed. I mean, most people here aren't even from Charlotte, anyways! haha.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 PM

4,238 posts, read 6,155,706 times
In Portland I hear especially among older people but not exclusively, a resentment towards Californians and immigrants. Portland is a very white city in an even whiter state. It really is not a very diversified population at all. I can't say Im surprised by some of the less than welcoming comments I have heard here. I think this state has had a problem with its image from time to time on this subject.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,412 posts, read 20,489,693 times
It depends. Friendly, humble newcomers who are able to see the positive aspects of this area are welcomed with open arms. Grumpy newcomers who do nothing but complain about the heat and how our area is nothing like the area that they came from are likely to be shunned and/or encouraged to return to the area they came from.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,044,660 times
Three parties in my first week and one specifically set up to welcome me,so I guess a big yes to that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.