U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What name do you have for a long sandwich?
Hoagie 8 8.00%
Sub 78 78.00%
Torpedo 0 0%
Wedge 1 1.00%
Grinder 2 2.00%
Hero 3 3.00%
Zep 0 0%
Po boy 4 4.00%
Other (please specify) 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 PM
 
2,857 posts, read 5,991,619 times
Reputation: 1716

Advertisements

It's not a po boy. The bread is wrong, the meat is wrong, and the dressing is wrong. That sandwich is not sloppy enough to be a po-boy, and no sliced onions on po-boys. Dressing is limited to mayo, lettuce, and tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,489 posts, read 16,164,190 times
Reputation: 5637
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would call it a wedge
Did you ever live in or near Westchester County, NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM
 
7 posts, read 24,586 times
Reputation: 20
sandwich or sub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,121,427 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
It's not a po boy. The bread is wrong, the meat is wrong, and the dressing is wrong. That sandwich is not sloppy enough to be a po-boy, and no sliced onions on po-boys. Dressing is limited to mayo, lettuce, and tomatoes.
LOL

OK, ok...I grant you Louisiana (and far SE Texas) folks are the experts in the matter (hear me, WestbankNOLA? *grins*).

But I also know those of us in other parts of the Southern Gulf Coast states (Texas, Mississippi and Alabama) who grew up calling sub's po'boys weren't trying to steal any of y'alls thunder! And knew what we were talking about to the extent we knew it. If that makes sense. Probably doesn't...but what the hell! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,138,196 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL

OK, ok...I grant you Louisiana (and far SE Texas) folks are the experts in the matter (hear me, WestbankNOLA? *grins*).

But I also know those of us in other parts of the Southern Gulf Coast states (Texas, Mississippi and Alabama) who grew up calling sub's po'boys weren't trying to steal any of y'alls thunder! And knew what we were talking about to the extent we knew it. If that makes sense. Probably doesn't...but what the hell! LOL
I got you Reb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,121,427 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I got you Reb
Thanks WBNOLA! If you notice, I edited above to include northern Louisiana as part of the Gulf South who might not be privy to the secret of a "true" po'boy! LOL

Seriously though, is that accurate? That is, IS there a general disconnect between northern and southern parts of Louisiana as to what constitutes a true po'boy (as y'all define), just as you all say there is in neighboring states in general? *curious*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 PM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Reputation: 7739
wouldnt it be a muffaletta (sp?)there? I know no olive spread but and what is that sandwich place in Nola (Mothers or something( that is some good eating too - the dirt or whatver they call it to die for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,138,196 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
wouldnt it be a muffaletta (sp?)there? I know no olive spread but and what is that sandwich place in Nola (Mothers or something( that is some good eating too - the dirt or whatver they call it to die for
Central Grocery?

Muffaletta and Poboys are too different things.
A poboy would be like the N.O.'s cheesesteak.

Muffaletta
http://www.colorpro.com/great-sandwiches/images/muffcropd.jpg (broken link)

Poboy
http://www.jacksonfarmersmarkergrill.com/po-boy-and-gravy.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Thanks WBNOLA! If you notice, I edited above to include northern Louisiana as part of the Gulf South who might not be privy to the secret of a "true" po'boy! LOL

Seriously though, is that accurate? That is, IS there a general disconnect between northern and southern parts of Louisiana as to what constitutes a true po'boy (as y'all define), just as you all say there is in neighboring states in general? *curious*
I'm quite sure there is. North Louisiana and South Louisiana are two completely different worlds. Actually there is a disconnect as far south as Baton Rouge. New Orleans food is strictly New Orleans. After you leave the GNO it get's shifty. To be real, New Orleans and South Louisiana are two different worlds

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 07-13-2010 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top