U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,526,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Why does it seem that Black people tend to choose the southern cities of Atlanta, Dallas and Houston as their prefered place to move to and White people seem to lean towards the cities of Portland, Seattle and San Francisco
Maybe it's because that's where their families came from originally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,964,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I agree with most everything you said except that Denver isn't popular with young white liberals. Or somehow is popular with Republicans. I'm not sure what PEW study you're referencing (one I apparently have yet to read) but the actual number of democrats in Denver and percentages voting Democrat in presidential elections suggests that it's a pretty liberal place. I may be misunderstanding you though.
For Nearly Half of America, Grass Is Greener Somewhere Else - Pew Research Center

I think the idea is that Republicans like the idea of moving to Denver, but I think I said I find this curious if so as Denver is not at all Republican.

Quote:
Also, I always thought that C-D was pretty much made up of wealthy, 60+ year old white people?
Could be, maybe the wealth thing changes it. Or maybe the 60+ white people here were all McGovern voters back in the day

Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,209,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Maybe it's because that's where their families came from originally?

exactly, is someone was from, lets say, ghana. and his extended family were from ghana and many moved into the area. who would he/she spend time with?

i'm still pissed ghana lost

Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,517 times
I'm white and I would never be stuck living in one of those three cities. Then again labeling something hip and "progressive" is probably the fastest way to turn me off from something. I generally prefer older, more historic rust belt and midwestern cities. My favorites include St Paul, St Louis, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo.

I have to clarify something about Dnever. Denver is different in that while some cities like San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle primarily attract liberals and other like Kansas City, Omaha, and Dallas are much more attractive to conservatives, Denver seems to be popular with both. Denver proper is seen as a hip, progressive place for liberals while suburban denver and other areas in CO, especially Colorado Springs, are seen as very friendly to conservatives. So CO tends to get both in large numbers.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 AM

6,060 posts, read 10,844,519 times
Im offended how some people are describing and stereotyping Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland on this thread. There are plenty of people of all races, including people that are black that can see how those places can be great places to be and maybe end up choosing to live in those places. There is diversity in these places.

I am originally from New York City and the place I wanted to live in after New York City had to have enough diversity for me.

My family members that visited me here from NYC thought Seattle had a decent amount of diversity and racial integration.

There are lots of great examples of racial diversity and racial harmony in San Francisco, and Seattle.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Quote:
I agree with most everything you said except that Denver isn't popular with young white liberals. Or somehow is popular with Republicans.
If Denver isn't popular with young white liberals, than I don't know what it is. Many parts of the city proper are screaming "we want to be Seattle!".

MN55 hit it on the head. The city is popular with young (mostly white) liberals who are looking to find people like themselves. The suburbs (southern, in particular) are popular with more conservative (likely family-unit), possible ex-California types looking for a cheaper, newer, more "America" version of California. And they both get what they want in coming here.

Regarding race, I think it would be nice if we all just dropped that particular label and lived our individual lives however and wherever we see fit.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM

264 posts, read 823,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Im offended how some people are describing and stereotyping Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland on this thread. There are plenty of people of all races, including people that are black that can see how those places can be great places to be and maybe end up choosing to live in those places. There is diversity in these places.

I am originally from New York City and the place I wanted to live in after New York City had to have enough diversity for me.

My family members that visited me here from NYC thought Seattle had a decent amount of diversity and racial integration.

There are lots of great examples of racial diversity and racial harmony in San Francisco, and Seattle.

I'm not sterotyping any of those three cities as I have never been to either, but if you read these threads and the posts that people leave, you would know why I stated my question the way I did, look up threads on Atlanta or D.C. being a black mecca, or Houston or Dallas being better for a black family, which is what a lot of black people ask on here or San Francisco, Portland and Seattle being hip and liberal which is what interests a lot of white people, Atlanta is mostly black but white people live there and Seattle is mostly white and i know black people live there. and Atlanta has mainly black and white people with a few thousand of every other race but I don't consider it diverse becasue the numbers for other races are low compared with the population numbers for the white and black races, so how would Seattle be diverse seeing as you see it that way. my question wasn't meant to say that there wasn't racial harmony in any city, where you got that notion from I have no idea.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,853,198 times
Maybe because the South has a large black population. I'm black and I have no interest in moving there even though I've heard that the women are friendly there compared to California.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM

244 posts, read 746,519 times
I'm a black female, born and raised in the South, but strongly prefer living out west (AZ, CA, or NV), mostly due in part to better weather than the south and the mountains.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,526,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Denver is different in that while some cities like San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle primarily attract liberals and other like Kansas City, Omaha, and Dallas are much more attractive to conservatives...
I thought this thread had to do with racial preferences. Are there now races called 'liberal' and 'conservative?' (That's going to make the next Census pretty confusing!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or