U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Out of Sight Out of Mind
264 posts, read 823,432 times
Reputation: 217

Advertisements

Why does it seem that Black people tend to choose the southern cities of Atlanta, Dallas and Houston as their prefered place to move to and White people seem to lean towards the cities of Portland, Seattle and San Francisco, now this doesn't apply to everyone but just based on a lot of the posts that I read on C-D these are the prefered cities for blacks and whites, anyone have a reason as to why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
Reputation: 7598
Black people go where the work is. White people go to where ever the minorities aint lol just kidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,529,520 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Why does it seem that Black people tend to choose the southern cities of Atlanta, Dallas and Houston as their prefered place to move to and White people seem to lean towards the cities of Portland, Seattle and San Francisco, now this doesn't apply to everyone but just based on a lot of the posts that I read on C-D these are the prefered cities for blacks and whites, anyone have a reason as to why.
Cities are popular with certain racial communities based on many factors, including the economic and at the very least the stereotypical cultural attributes these cities display, among others. Generally speaking, the former 3 cities you listed tend to offer the most bang for your buck and the latter 3 are more expensive. Now I'm not saying that all black people are poor or economically disadvantaged, but statistics do show that generally, black people make less than white people. There's also the geographic kinship. Overall, people like/dislike certain things and they're going to be drawn to cities that offer (or appear to offer) an abundance their desires.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 07-07-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,583,841 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Cities are popular with certain racial communities based on many factors, including the economic and at the very least the stereotypical cultural attributes these cities display, among others. Generally speaking, the former 3 cities you listed tend to offer the most bang for your buck and the latter 3 are more expensive. Now I'm not saying that all black people are poor or economically disadvantaged, but statistics do show that, generally, black people make less than white people. There's also the geographic kinship. Overall, people like/dislike certain things and they're going to be drawn to cities that offer (or appear to offer) an abundance their desires.
black folk is po, what you sayin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: DC/Brooklyn, NY/Miami, FL
1,178 posts, read 2,512,760 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
black folk is po, what you sayin?
lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 12:52 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Reputation: 6679
I think the cities you name it might be about fashion and name-recognition. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston I think are seen as cities that have successful black populations and are trendy as places where blacks can have their dream life. Portland, Seattle and San Francisco are places where young progressive whites (As I think that's the main group that really dreams of those cities) can live out their dreams.

Now older or conservative whites, judging by Pew Survey anyway, dream more of Phoenix, Dallas, and San Antonio. Although Portland is high on their list for Republicans so I was being a bit hasty. Republicans also like Denver and Kansas City more than Democrats do despite those towns being pretty Democratic. Still Denver and especially KC I don't think, at the moment, fit with what trendy whites want.

Whites over 60 are usually pretty rare online though so you don't see those as popular here much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 4,033,834 times
Reputation: 2693
San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland are cities are full of stuff that liberal white people love like underground rock n roll or vegan thai food, or pseudo socialist co-op grocery stores. A lot of those people think of themselves of the least racist white people in America but they can't help but like liberal hipster white stuff. Seattle and Portland are pretty white but I wouldn't think it's because of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Reputation: 6679
I wouldn't either, but Oregon had laws against interracial marriage until 1951 and from 1857 to 1926 exclusion laws forbade or discouraged blacks from settling in Oregon. For a few months in 1844 they even had a law, "requiring that blacks in Oregon -- be they free or slave -- be whipped twice a year 'until he or she shall quit the territory.'"

Timeline of Black History in the Pacific Northwest
Powered by Google Docs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 AM
 
Location: OUTTA SIGHT!
3,023 posts, read 2,873,143 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think the cities you name it might be about fashion and name-recognition. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston I think are seen as cities that have successful black populations and are trendy as places where blacks can have their dream life. Portland, Seattle and San Francisco are places where young progressive whites (As I think that's the main group that really dreams of those cities) can live out their dreams.

Now older or conservative whites, judging by Pew Survey anyway, dream more of Phoenix, Dallas, and San Antonio. Although Portland is high on their list for Republicans so I was being a bit hasty. Republicans also like Denver and Kansas City more than Democrats do despite those towns being pretty Democratic. Still Denver and especially KC I don't think, at the moment, fit with what trendy whites want.

Whites over 60 are usually pretty rare online though so you don't see those as popular here much.
I agree with most everything you said except that Denver isn't popular with young white liberals. Or somehow is popular with Republicans. I'm not sure what PEW study you're referencing (one I apparently have yet to read) but the actual number of democrats in Denver and percentages voting Democrat in presidential elections suggests that it's a pretty liberal place. I may be misunderstanding you though.

Also, I always thought that C-D was pretty much made up of wealthy, 60+ year old white people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM
 
56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12499
I think a lot of it has to do with roots for Black folks, as well as those places are where you will see more affluent Black folks. So, there is an impression that those are cities where Black folks can make a very good living.

With the cities you mentioned for Whites being popular, I think that is a matter of geography and migration patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top