U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,562,228 times

Advertisements

Why isn't western ND/SD Upper Midwest? There isn't any cultural difference between the western and eastern halves of the Dakotas - it's all Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,562,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I would say the cities I listed: Milwaukee, Chicago, Fort Wayne, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, and Akron are part of the rust belt region which isn't really part of the upper or lower midwest. It's kind of a middle ground. Cleveland and Detroit are not similar with Minneapolis (Upper Midwest) or Kansas City (lower Midwest). I think it's best the rust belt/great lakes area is it's own seperate, third midwestern region unlike both the upper and lower midwest.

We can divide the Midwest into four regions: Upper Midwest, Western Rust Belt, Lower Midwest, and Great Plains. All four have their own distinct accents. Upper Midwest has the Fargo accent, Rust Belt has the nasally Midwestern accent, Lower Midwest has a southern tinged accent, and the Great Plains have what is generally considered the generic standard American accent.
Having lived in both Michigan and Minnesota, I can vouch for this. Really, cities like Cleveland and Detroit are nothing like St. Paul or Minneapolis. They are much more similar to St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis and Columbus. Upper Midwest is MN, the northern two-thirds of WI, northern IA, ND, SD, the UP, and maybe the northern Lower Peninsula of MI. Great Plains isn't really a region - the Great Plains stretch all the way from northern Saskatchewan to south Texas and cross several regions and cultural zones.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,983,896 times
There is a big difference between Eastern and Western South Dakota. Souix Falls is much more Midwestern and looks toward Minneapolis while Rapid City is much more Western and looks toward Denver. It doesn't take long while travelling through SD to realize you're leaving the Midwest and entering the West (culturally atleast). The cornfields stop and the prairies begin.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,395,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry, but yes. Downstate IL is more like Indiana or Arkansas than it is like Chicago. Chicagoland looks and feels like WI, only with more people. Chicagoland is also a lot greener with more trees and water features than Downstate IL, very similar to Southern WI. Downstate IL also tends to be very conservative, whereas Chicago and WI tend to be on the more progressive side.
You really have no idea.

Of course downstate Illinois is more Conservative, but you specifically compared it to the Milwaukee area which is the most conservative area in the state!:

And then to compare it Arkansas!?

This whole post is crazy.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 PM

nevermind

Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,146,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I would say the cities I listed: Milwaukee, Chicago, Fort Wayne, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, and Akron are part of the rust belt region which isn't really part of the upper or lower midwest. It's kind of a middle ground. Cleveland and Detroit are not similar with Minneapolis (Upper Midwest) or Kansas City (lower Midwest). I think it's best the rust belt/great lakes area is it's own seperate, third midwestern region unlike both the upper and lower midwest.

We can divide the Midwest into four regions: Upper Midwest, Western Rust Belt, Lower Midwest, and Great Plains. All four have their own distinct accents. Upper Midwest has the Fargo accent, Rust Belt has the nasally Midwestern accent, Lower Midwest has a southern tinged accent, and the Great Plains have what is generally considered the generic standard American accent.
Finally, now this is something I can agree with. I grew up in the Fox Cities and, you're right, they're a lot more like MN than they are like Milwaukee. Madison is a weird one, close to Rust Belt cities like Janesville and Rockford, as well as places like WI Dells and Beaver Dam that are definitely more Upper Midwest. It's sort of it's own little world, which is funny because conservatives call Madison "78 sq. miles surrounded by reality."

Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 PM

311 posts, read 692,617 times
Southeast Missouri is more southern in culture than Midwestern.

And where in the heck did the OP come up with Caruthersville? Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that you mention it because it's close to where I'm from, but it's not quite a famous city.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why isn't western ND/SD Upper Midwest? There isn't any cultural difference between the western and eastern halves of the Dakotas - it's all Upper Midwest.
IDK about that. The western portions of those states are more like Montana and Wyoming.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You really have no idea.

Of course downstate Illinois is more Conservative, but you specifically compared it to the Milwaukee area which is the most conservative area in the state!:

And then to compare it Arkansas!?

This whole post is crazy.
Way to twist everything around. First of all, I said Chicagoland is more like WI (the whole state not just Milwaukee) than it is like Downstate IL. Second, I said Chicagoland LOOKED like SOUTHERN WI, not Southeastern WI. Big difference. Southern WI includes Madison, Janesville, and Beloit as well as Kenosha, Racine, and Milwaukee (all of whom voted for Obama btw).

Oh, and I was kidding when I compared Southern IL to Arkansas. I was just trying to say how different it is from Chicagoland.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Again, nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or