U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,397,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Way to twist everything around. First of all, I said Chicagoland is more like WI (the whole state not just Milwaukee) than it is like Downstate IL. Second, I said Chicagoland LOOKED like SOUTHERN WI, not Southeastern WI. Big difference. Southern WI includes Madison, Janesville, and Beloit as well as Kenosha, Racine, and Milwaukee (all of whom voted for Obama btw).

Oh, and I was kidding when I compared Southern IL to Arkansas. I was just trying to say how different it is from Chicagoland.
You talked about politics, though.

I look out of the window of my current location in Central Illinois, what do I see? Trees, as far as I can see. Let's not forget about Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,148,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You talked about politics, though.

I look out of the window of my current location in Central Illinois, what do I see? Trees, as far as I can see. Let's not forget about Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois.
Again, I said: Downstate IL also tends to be very conservative, whereas Chicago and WI tend to be on the more progressive side.

If Downstate IL has so many trees and lakes, then why do all the FIBs vacation "Up North" in WI?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Again, I said: Downstate IL also tends to be very conservative, whereas Chicago and WI tend to be on the more progressive side.

If Downstate IL has so many trees and lakes, then why do all the FIBs vacation "Up North" in WI?
Because it's closer.

Go ask where those from Metro-East vacation.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Because it's closer.

Go ask where those from Metro-East vacation.
LOL. Waupaca, Rhinelander, and Door County aren't exactly close to Chicagololand, yet they are among the favorite Northwoods destinations of numerous Chicagoans.

I would imagine people in St. Louis vacation in the Ozarks, not Southern IL.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
LOL. Waupaca, Rhinelander, and Door County aren't exactly close to Chicagololand, yet they are among the favorite Northwoods destinations of numerous Chicagoans.

I would imagine people in St. Louis vacation in the Ozarks, not Southern IL.
More people go to The Dells. And Waupaca and Rhinelander aren't exactly draws.

But they don't go to Wisconsin, and since when does people's vacationing choices have to do with what a state looks like?

Old 07-09-2010, 04:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,065 times
Just an Upper and Lower Midwest is not really a good deliniation. The Great Lakes area is a whole seperate region significantly different than the other two. (Mainly the lower half of the Great Lakes region due to population) With the Great Plains, it is different from the Upper Midwest due to land use and politics. Places like the western ends of the Dakotas and Nebraska are more similar to the plains portions of Montana, Wyoming, or Colorado.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,869 times
Quote:

But they don't go to Wisconsin, and since when does people's vacationing choices have to do with what a state looks like?
Yes they do - every week-end. I have relatives in Minocqua, and Chicago pretty much owns the place during the summer. Door County and Lake Geneva are also VERY popular summer destinations.

Last edited by NowInWI; 07-09-2010 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. While the Dells are a major tourist attraction, so are the Northwoods. Chicagoans own vacation homes all over Northern WI.

Quote:
Is that a serious question? A state's climate, geography, and topography (how it looks) plays no role in it's ability to attract tourists? I guess that's why Nebraska and Kansas are so popular with tourists.

WI is the #1 tourist destination in the entire Midwest.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,138,339 times
It's conveniently sandwiched between Minneapolis and Chicago....that helps a lot. If you ever noticed the Dells are located nearly exactly between Minneapolis and Chicago (3.5 hours from MPLS, 3 hours from CHI).

Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,359,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
There is a big difference between Eastern and Western South Dakota. Souix Falls is much more Midwestern and looks toward Minneapolis while Rapid City is much more Western and looks toward Denver. It doesn't take long while travelling through SD to realize you're leaving the Midwest and entering the West (culturally atleast). The cornfields stop and the prairies begin.
I agree with this. You can literally watch the west begin and the midwest end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or