U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,358,670 times

Advertisements

Is Pittsburgh 'midwest'?

Because if you are going to consider Cleveland you might as well include Pittsburgh. With all of the LeBron hype I heard a guy on ESPN say "LeBron, right where the Midwest begins"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
A very strict definition of "Midwest" would exclude anything below I-70 in OH, IN, IL, MO, and KS (the South), anything west of the Missouri river in the Dakotas and extreme western Nebraska (the West), anything east of Columbus in OH (the Northeast) and extreme northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan (the Far North/Subarctic). The only truly, 100% quintessential Midwestern state would be Iowa. However, the census defines Midwest as MN, WI, MI, OH, IN, IL, IA, KS, MO, NE, ND, and SD. Officially, those states are Midwestern, and everywhere in those states has some affinity with the Midwest, even the transitional areas.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM

7,592 posts, read 9,446,457 times
If you divided the Midwest in to 3 sections ( south-to-north), they might be portrayed as follows:

Southern Midwest-southern portions of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, along with most of Missouri; think Cincinnati, St. Louis, etc..

Central Midwest-most of Ohio, Indiana, northern 2/3 of Illinois, most of Iowa, Nebraska, southern Michigan and Wisconsin; think Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Des Moines, Omaha. etc..

Northern (Upper Midwest)--northern 2/3 of Michigan, Wisconsin; virtually all of Minnesota; all of North and South Dakota; think Minneapolis, Green Bay, fargo, Bismarck, etc...

If you're going strictly on north-south latitudinal lines, then it's possible to place Minneapolis in the Central Midwest, since 2/3 of Minnesota ( and all of North Dakota) are north of the Twin Cities, but most people don't think in this context...Minneapolis is too cold to think of it in terms of being merely "central"...

Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,127 times
Minneapolis is definitely the hub of the Upper Midwest.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Minneapolis is well north of Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee, and even Green Bay and Traverse City. It's at the same latitude as Wausau, WI and Alpena, MI.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,127 times
Here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking:

Red = Upper Midwest
Orange = Rust Belt/Central Midwest
Yellow = Lower Midwest
Purple = Great Plains/Beginning of the West

Souix City, Dubuque, Madison, Grand Rapids, and Saginaw are kind of on the boundry between the central and upper midwest although I would classify all these cities as being more Central Midwest. Springfield, Indianapolis, and Columbus are around where the central and lower midwest meet. Bismark and Minot is kind of where the Midwest starts to end and the West begins.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,475,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking:

Red = Upper Midwest
Orange = Rust Belt/Central Midwest
Yellow = Lower Midwest
Purple = Great Plains/Beginning of the West

Souix City, Dubuque, Madison, Grand Rapids, and Saginaw are kind of on the boundry between the central and upper midwest although I would classify all these cities as being more Central Midwest. Springfield, Indianapolis, and Columbus are around where the central and lower midwest meet. Bismark and Minot is kind of where the Midwest starts to end and the West begins.
But I thought Duluth and Green Bay, for example, were both quintessential Rust Belt Cities...? I thought the Upper Midwest and the Central Midwest (as you define them) are both typically just considered "Upper Midwest"...?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,147,650 times
Midwest Boundaries - Google Maps

Here's a map that I feel better illustrates the different cultural regions of the Midwest.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,396,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Yes they do - every week-end. I have relatives in Minocqua, and Chicago pretty much owns the place during the summer. Door County and Lake Geneva are also VERY popular summer destinations.
I never said they don't go way up North and of course Door County and definitely Lake Geneva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. While the Dells are a major tourist attraction, so are the Northwoods. Chicagoans own vacation homes all over Northern WI.

Is that a serious question? A state's climate, geography, and topography (how it looks) plays no role in it's ability to attract tourists? I guess that's why Nebraska and Kansas are so popular with tourists.

WI is the #1 tourist destination in the entire Midwest.
Being from Chicago, I know where people go and the two biggest draws are Door County and The Dells. Again, I never said people don't go way up North, but

Nice claim without a source.

You are going off on tangents that have nothing to do with what I said. I never said that geography doesn't play a role in where people go and I never brought up vacationing, yet you decided to bring it up. What I said is that you were wrong when saying Chicago is more like Wisconsin and that the rest of Illinois isn't green and doesn't have trees. Do you get that?

Now before you go post more nonsense, why don't you go back and read my posts.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Is Pittsburgh 'midwest'?

Because if you are going to consider Cleveland you might as well include Pittsburgh. With all of the LeBron hype I heard a guy on ESPN say "LeBron, right where the Midwest begins"
Oh, please, not this again! This topic has been debated ad nausem, both here and on the Pittsburgh forum. Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania. Do you consider PA a midwestern state? If not, then Pittsbugh isn't a midwestern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or