U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM

4,271 posts, read 5,496,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You're the one going off in all directions here not me. I said Chicagoland had more trees and more water features than Downstate IL, which is an undisputable fact.
I think the Shawnee National Forest, Illinois and Sangamon Rivers, and numerous parks and lakes would disagree...Besides, I doubt anyone has ever actually counted the trees...:P

Chicagoland area may look more like Southern WI than Central IL, but it doesn't look anything like Northern WI or Southern IL. Both states span a pretty long North-South distance, so the topography naturally changes. Also, Chicagoland is a lot more urban of an area than any place in Southern WI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,155,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Here's my take on Midwest boundaries.

This SHOULD work now:

Midwest boundaries - Google Maps
Green Bay is nothing like Minneapolis, it's much more like Milwaukee. The Fox Cities are a transition zone with some cities like Appleton, Kimberly, and Grand Chute being more Upper Midwest, and other cities like Oshkosh, Menasha, and Kaukauna being more Rust Belt.

I don't know why you guys think Madison is so different than Minneapolis. That's usually how most Milwaukeeans describe Minneapolis as being a giant Madison.

Dubuque is a heavily industrial, heavily Catholic city and belongs in the Rust Belt.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:45 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,155,964 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but cities like Lawrence, KS and Wichita, KS are still fairly progressive cities in the Plains.
I've never once heard Wichita described as "progressive" before in my life. On my map, Lawrence was included with Kansas City in the Lower Midwest.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,404,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Thanks to this site, we've all seen countless pictures of Shawnee National Forest. I'm pretty sure it's the only non-flat, non-open part of Downstate IL, that also happens to be next to the Ozarks.

McHenry County and Lake County in IL look just like their neighbors Rock County and Walworth County in WI. Why are you having such a hard time accepting that Chicago has more similarities with WI than to its own state?

Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,119,342 times
Quote:
Here's my take on Midwest boundaries.

This SHOULD work now:

Midwest boundaries - Google Maps
Any map that excludes Cincinnati from the Midwest has zero credibility.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,471,698 times
Quote:
Originally posted by freestater
Link: Upper Midwest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also check North American English Dialects map: American English Dialects

I won't post the map. Click the link to see for yourself. Study the Northern accent/Midland accent boundaries. Northern accent is upper Midwest. Midland accent is lower Midwest. This is elementary cultural geography.

All of Iowa north of Des Moines is upper Midwest. All of Illinois north of Peoria is upper Midwest. ALL of Wisconsin and ALL of Michigan are upper Midwest, period. Indiana north of Fort Wayne is upper Midwest. Ohio north of Akron is upper Midwest.

Southern Illinois, southern Indiana, southern Ohio, all of Missouri, maybe southern Iowa are lower Midwest.

ALL of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are upper Midwest. Leave it to someone in Minnesota to think that southern Wisconsin and southern Michigan are "lower Midwest".
I disagree with wikipedia's article. No state that borders the Ohio can be in the "Upper Midwest". They're definitely lower midwest. I always grew up understanding that the Upper midwest included the Dakotas, Minnesota, N. Iowa, all of Wisconsin and MI (North of Grand Rapids/Lansing). For what it's worth. It's a really interesting thread.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
Cincinnati is in the Upper South. Yes, it is in a Midwestern state, and has Midwestern influences, but it's on the whole a Southern city.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 PM

787 posts, read 1,470,665 times
Quote:
Cincinnati is in the Upper South. Yes, it is in a Midwestern state, and has Midwestern influences, but it's on the whole a Southern city.

You seem to almost be confusing Cincinnati with Louisville.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,471,698 times
Quote:
Originally posted by flyingwriter
Why isn't western ND/SD Upper Midwest? There isn't any cultural difference between the western and eastern halves of the Dakotas - it's all Upper Midwest.
Really? Interesting. I always thought of the western Dakotas as more "West" Granted, I've never been out there though.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM

87,037 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I think a lot of people from Chicago don't know that the Southernmost part of the state is like that. The area South of I-64 and nearby starts becoming less flat and has more hilly and forested (suprisingly as well a number of marshes and wetlands). Also culturally it really starts changing as you can tell you are rapidly approaching the Bible Belt. (listen to the radio dial driving around there and you can tell and also the number of Baptists and Evangelicals in general start increasing to where a number of counties in Southern Illinois they are the largest religious group which would by near definition put it in the Lower Midwest/Transitional Zone/Upper South)
There are plenty of Baptists in Champaign. Living in Champaign, I had always heard that S. Ill was hilly. Then I went there, and was not impressed. Compared to Champaign, it's hilly. Compared to PA, where I grew up, not so much. (This was before I had ever been to CO.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or